(24 posts)
  1. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 9:09:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I saw this question on another thread and have a similar one. What are your protocols for using ziplocs with the Packtite Closet? People using the smaller packtite would put it in and make sure the top was open and then close it up when the cycle was done. I'll PM David James too.

Here's my process, let me know if you have any suggestions (sorry it's long)

1. I take off my shoes outside and throw them in a Ziploc (Large at Amazon) and then put clothes/Coat in another Ziploc once in door. I then put it in the Packtite Closet and don't start it for a couple of hours. Right now, I have a larger ziploc (XL) that I throw backpack, purse, books, whatever I've brought in with me and throw that in the Packtite Closet too. I am wearing my clothes while throwing things in Ziplocs and one of my concerns is that I'm just flinging little BBs all over my entryway. But, I don't have an attached garage, and this is better than nothing. I don't have BBs (fingers crossed) but am in "risky" situations most days.
    2. I start the Packtite closet and don't rearrange/unzip until it's fairly warm (100 or so).
    3. I take items out and hang or put on rack.
    4. I only have one indoor/outdoor thermometer so I put it in the backpack or the thickest item. I tend to let it run for 2 hours when 1.5 hours would do. (the Packtite Closet has more air flow and does heats up quicker if I understand right).
    5. I don't always zip things up right away (sometimes it's morning since I set the timer and read in bed while it runs...I go to sleep once it's off..never getting out of bed once in). I figure if there were BBs, they should be dead. If I had BBs, I'd probably feel better zipping up the ziplocs 5 minutes after stopping. I leave one old hoodie in there all the time (odd I know). My coat closet is now full of packtited items since it's in the highest risk place (the only entry into my apt, which opens into the common area hallway). Of course, they will probably just mosey over to the bedroom if they do drop

The packtite closet is in the bedroom, so I feel it's important not to walk to it with items on from outside. I've always washed linens a lot (dust allergies), but I now keep about 3 pairs of PJs in it and the books/magazines I like to take to bed (in separate ziplocs, take them out right before I run it and take only the one I want to read b4 bedtime in bed with me). I just feel better knowing the linens and PJs are "clean". I guess the biggest risk is the bed vs the items, so this is probably overkill. I also keep my alarm clock and phone in ziplocs by the bed. I've read about it and thought that's a good idea. The last step I need to do is get passive monitors.

Thoughts? Your procedures?

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 9:39:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure that the reasons why a ziplock should be open would change with a closet. When items are closed, the outside is heated. The inside is at a lower temp. Since a ziplock can be sealed airtight, there's a significant chance that the inside will not reach temperature depending on what's inside. Better insulating items are harder to heat. Metal and hard plastic might still get to temperature. If the bag is sealed, how will you know however? You can't get a thermometer in to check how high the inside temp is.

In my experience, the one sealed ziplock I ran with yarn in it was cool inside, even though the outside was painful to the touch. After that, I always emptied the ziplock unless it was filled with items that I knew freom experience quickly reached temperatures, such as solid plastic or metal knitting needles. Those ran in open ziplocks, but I'm cautious.

/Packtite OG owner

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 9:53:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I wait a bit until I open them...I guess it's just concern that I want it very hot before I dump items. That's interesting about the yarn. I've done it with magazines and they are out, but that's different. I usually dump everything out.

My fleece hoodie never feels hot (just the zipper).

I guess one of my questions is, with the Closet, due to the airflow..I always take items out of the ziploc to improve air flow (after about 15 minutes)...should I immediately be ziplocking items after the Closet is done?

Thanks again for the input. Maybe David Cain's office manager will provide helpful tips

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 21:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

When I lived in Bug Central, I bagged everything while the packtite was hot and turned On. I loaded it running and zipped it up fast.

Now that I'm not in Bug Central, my exposed items are loaded into a running packtite. I open the bags in the packtite.

When it's finished, I do tend to let it sit since theoretically, it's now clean and in a clean space. That allows me to start to learn to trust home again.

5. Mom34

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 14:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I"m considering getting a packtite. I eventually have to unpack and get on with my life. Do any of you think its worth it?

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I can no longer imagine living in New York City without one. I consider it one of my best investments.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:25:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In testing the closet we actually found that it worked much better than we had anticipated. I actually placed a temp probe inside a Styrofoam ice box and it still got to kill temp well with a standard treatment cycle of 4 hours. I have also tested in zip lock bags and also found the critical temperature is reached so i would say leave it closed and don't worry.

Since switching decon to the closets we will happily leave bagged and saran wrapped items sealed if that's how they arrive at our facility knowing its capable of handling the task.

I really cant be complimentary enough about the new system, I tried to get it to fail and all I ended up was frustrated and I am sure you all realise I through all I could at it (hence the ice box test). Some days we are running 3 loads a day per unit which I think makes them the most over used ones in circulation. I just want a 240V CE approved version so others can benefit at home.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  8. Mom34

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

where did you order yours from?

Most of the reviews i have read there is always somethign wrong with it and some part needs to be replaced (amazon)

I think I need one for peace of mind

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:36:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I had mine shipped direct as part of our consumer testing program.

I would only ever order books from Amazon. I have read the reviews on the original PackTite and can't agree with the negative ones, we used the original for a long time and had no worries. The closet however is a far superior product and although there are no Amazon reviews I know from speaking to other professional users its a massive hit.

In fact I just reloaded mine between posts and we still have a backlog despite running 3 times a day.

David

10. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:43:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the small one. I found a hole in the bag and David James (PackTite inventor) replaced that under the warranty.

He provides excellent customer service.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 3 minutes ago  » 

Careful we don't want to over inflate his ego.

David

12. Mom34

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I order mostly everythign from amazon. Sorry are you saying its safe to order packtite from amazon.? teh closet costs way more Im assuming. I thik the original packtite is sufficient considering i threw everything out. I only have a kitchen table and chairs. no sofa. i own bed and my daughter has a bed. everything else is bagged. Im considering dumping more stuff.

Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the imput. Much appreciated.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:53:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

My feelings on Amazon are more for personal reasons than anything else. The ones ordered there are essentially the same as all others, I just tend to find some of the review warriors on Amazon seem to argue for the sake of it and a poorly worded or constructed review is in my opinion worse than no review at all, especially if you follow the replies and responses on that one (towards the end I was going to post suggesting the author had been using the PackTite to cook his crack).

David

14. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:55:56
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 4 minutes ago  » 

AshamedandScratching - 3 minutes ago  » 

Careful we don't want to over inflate his ego.
    David

He deserves it after dealing with my crazy emails. "Can you heat treat a ham?"

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 16:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 6 minutes ago  » 

Only if its on a pizza base with tomato and cheese.

David

16. Mom34

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 16:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok you guys made me crack a smile. omg its been so long. thanks.

im goign to order one next pay day.

17. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 16:26:31
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 21 minutes ago  » 

AshamedandScratching - 6 minutes ago  » 

Only if its on a pizza base with tomato and cheese.
    David

Even if it's filled with sawdust and covered in wool and cotton?

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailor's_ham]My ham[/url]

18. buggystudent

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 1:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. I just put my first load of clothes in my new packtite and I can honestly say I have NEVER been more excited for anything in my life as I was for this thing. About ziplock bags though.. Nothing in the instructions says that items need to be bagged?! I just put folded clothes right in there (not on either side past the tape or touching the heater. Is this okay?!

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 1:25:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Mom34 - 9 hours ago  » 
    where did you order yours from?
    Most of the reviews i have read there is always somethign wrong with it and some part needs to be replaced (amazon)
    I think I need one for peace of mind

There's an explanation for why Amazon may not be the best place to buy bed bug products in our Useful Stuff page. You can of course buy Packtite direct from the manufacturer. We suggest US Bed Bugs, again for reasons explained in the Useful Stuff page, not least of which their prices and shipping (free on orders over $50).

Note: if you buy via the affiliate ads in the Useful Stuff page, it also helps support the site, which gets a small percentage of your purchase price, at no additional cost to you.

This helps keep Bedbugger.com running. (See our Disclosure policy for more).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  20. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 6:49:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Items don't need to be bagged to treat while in an infested space. Once treated, of course you'll bag them to keep them bug free. Occasionally, I had bagged things before treatment and then I went back and treated and so dealt with the question.

Once in an uninfested space, you'll probably bag things that have been exposed when you arrive home and carry that to the packtite for treatment.

21. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 7:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the info on the ziplocs. I had read that there was sometimes condensation in the original if you used ziplocs and I hadn't found that in the closet. But, I couldn't put a thermometer in a closed ziploc, so my habit has been to run it for a while and then hang things up. Thanks for everyone's patience with me asking questions about the Packtite closet. For what it cost, I wanted to make sure it's being used the best it can. Some of my thoughts:

1. I'm really glad that I upgraded to the Closet.... it's just so simple and the hanging capacity. I didn't realize 4 hours was the normal cycle (thanks!). I've been doing 2 hours with light loads and 4 with a suitcase (or a couple of coats).
    2. I have a little nightstand and I've actually packtited it a few times since it is next to the bed...overkill I know.
    3. The only negative I've thought of...and it doesn't apply to me. If you have it on the floor and you have kids, the blower can heat up. The solution is probably to have it on a counter. Maybe it isn't an issue.

If you can afford it (and it was painful for me), I'd say really consider it. It's so easy to use and being able to hang drycleaning is really nice (I'm fine with folding coats).

22. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 12:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

(towards the end I was going to post suggesting the author had been using the PackTite to cook his crack).

Your funny bugs bunny. cook yo crack in the pack. ( born new yorker......does this sound as well with a London accent? nna-- ixnay, gimme a mercy beat--John Bishop.

PS: Mr Caine, I posted awhile back about PackTite-ing my paint-ings. Successfully Titened up 2 oils on canvas, several gauche numbers on bristol board -- won't sell because the offers made would price my work @~round figure~ $10 an hour. Also cooked a couple of charcoal and pencil drawings, it all went swimmingly.

23. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 13:06:36
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL yes it came across fine.

Never managed to find my old canvasses but we have been busy testing electronic items in the closet. I should have time to write it up in the next few weeks but TV (CRT type), CD player and laptop all worked. To make sure it's effective we have made some small chambers that we fill with bedbugs and place inside the appliances.

It's been so busy in the development department we have had to take on more staff but if things continue at this pace 2012 will be a very interesting time.

David

24. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 18:55:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, my, David, I sure do hope that by your statement above you mean 2012 will be an interesting year for all of us hoping that these BB's get blasted into oblivion....never to be heard from again!!!! One can hope anyway

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,333 posts in 50,175 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14