Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Packtite

(11 posts)
  1. zelchbug

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 28 2018 15:15:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Going to be moving in a few weeks and wondering about packtites. How big are the largest ones are and what kind of stuff you can fit in there, sounds like they're pretty expensive! I saw one post cautioning against using a car to heat items, it's been in the upper 90's here and the inside of my car gets to 150, wondering why that wouldn't work, if anyone knows. Some evidence of bed bugs here but no definitive proof, since I'm going from renting to buying I want to make sure I don't take anything with me.

2. zelchbug

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 28 2018 15:49:15
    #

Login to Send PM

zelchbug - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Going to be moving in a few weeks and wondering about packtites. How big are the largest ones are and what kind of stuff you can fit in there, sounds like they're pretty expensive! I saw one post cautioning against using a car to heat items, it's been in the upper 90's here and the inside of my car gets to 150, wondering why that wouldn't work, if anyone knows. Some evidence of bed bugs here but no definitive proof, since I'm going from renting to buying I want to make sure I don't take anything with me.

Looking for the best method/item to kill bed bugs by heating items up that can't go into a drier, any input would be appreciated.

3. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 28 2018 19:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Packtite is good for things like shoes, kids toys, books, paper, basically anything that won't melt and isn't electronic. I've heard of people using them for clothing/blankets...personally I preferred the dryer. Be warned, it's painfully slow. A stack of books can take a whole day to reach temp. There are two problems with using your car. Number one, the inside of the bag and items inside of it will never reach the same temp as your car is registering. A comforter may get warm, but the center certainly won't get hot enough to kill. Problem number two...you risk infesting your car. One tiny rip in a bag and you now have them in your vehicle, which is VERY rarely treated successfully. If they get into your car, it's basically their car now. lol

4. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 28 2018 19:31:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Also for items you can't heat at all, such as electronics, I'd suggest Nuvan pest strips. Use VERY carefully. They can be deadly if directions are ignored.

5. zelchbug

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 28 2018 19:41:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugsareicky - 1 minute ago  » 
    Also for items you can't heat at all, such as electronics, I'd suggest Nuvan pest strips. Use VERY carefully. They can be deadly if directions are ignored.

I think the car would probably get hot enough, very good point about the risk of contamination though, it's not worth taking the chance of ruining a vehicle! A little disappointing that this 350+ dollar machine takes all day to heat up but I may not have a choice in the matter. It's either that or pay out of my own pocket for pest control to heat my room up to 140. I may just have to travel light, throw a lot of stuff away. Thanks for the advice, will check out Nuvan although it sounds a little scary.

6. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 28 2018 20:09:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Nuvan is scary if used stupidly, but so is the gas you put in your car daily. lol Just read the directions and follow them, if you decide to use it. Problems occur when people don't read the label at all.

Packtite is very commonly used. It is slow, but effective. Consider the price though. If the stuff you'd treat with it can be replaced cheaper, it may be silly to buy one. I've seen people panic and buy one only to realize they spent a few hundred to save a hundred dollar stack of books lol.

7. zelchbug

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 28 2018 23:29:31
    #

Login to Send PM

After buying a home, the last thing I want to do is spend 400 bucks on something I won't use, thanks for the heads up. Trying to look for a decent eco friendly BB killer, wish I had more time to research as I'm sure most don't work worth a crap.

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 31 2018 9:30:00
    #

Login to Send PM

No solid evidence of bed bugs? Don't buy an expensive piece of equipment that you may never use.

And if the car thing actually worked everyone would be doing it. It doesn't work, not even for me here in Florida.

9. zelchbug

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 31 2018 14:40:38
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 5 hours ago  » 
    No solid evidence of bed bugs? Don't buy an expensive piece of equipment that you may never use.
    And if the car thing actually worked everyone would be doing it. It doesn't work, not even for me here in Florida.

Found concerning evidence, possible fecal and blood stains, no way to tell if they were from bed bugs or something else. Stayed in a hotel a few weeks ago and I had to deal with a major infestation in a place I was living in back in 2010, so I am very cautious. I also bought and am moving into a new home from a rental in a few weeks. After encasing my mattress and box spring 4 or 5 days ago haven't seen anything else that's concerning. Notified landlord and he's out of town and says he's not worried about it. Nothing else to do at this point except to be vigilant, don't plan on buying a packtite unless I find solid evidence but I do plan on bagging things up and taking other precautions.

10. Pattycake

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 31 2018 16:47:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Check out a thermal strike. Under 100 dollars huge capacity. Even though its mainly cardboard it is rather effecient. I used mine before I ,oved and use it now for suitcases and misc items when done travling. My queen size comforter fit fine as well as shoes purses and other items.

11. zelchbug

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 31 2018 16:51:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Pattycake - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Check out a thermal strike. Under 100 dollars huge capacity. Even though its mainly cardboard it is rather effecient. I used mine before I ,oved and use it now for suitcases and misc items when done travling. My queen size comforter fit fine as well as shoes purses and other items.

I'll do that, thanks much!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,715 posts in 48,877 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver