Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

PackTite 2 Question

(12 posts)
  1. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 2 2017 7:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I would like to purchase a Packtite or similar oven for future use and peace of mind when I am ready to pull my things from storage, travel, etc. While reading reviews, though, I saw that the PackTite 2 has a lot of poor reviews saying it no longer gets hot enough, the heater fails, thermometer fails, etc.

So, I'm curious. Anyone here use Packtite 2 or other ovens *recently*? I kinda know from reading how the pros feel, but I really value their feedback too.

I've read about ovens on here, but am more concerned with the new issues around PackTite 2 and want to pick the best oven. ,

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  2. djames1921

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 2 2017 8:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I doubt the Packtite2 is available for sale anymore. When we bought out the manufacturer of the Packtite units we had already designed our own unit, the Packtite SC which we have manufactured and sold since 2015. We wanted to design the unit around a heater that was easier to keep in stock and more robust. Check out reviews of the unit at our website http://www.pfhmanufacturing.com or click on the ads for US Bed Bugs, who sell the unit.

3. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 2 2017 14:34:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I didn't realize there was a newer version. Some of the Packtite 2 reviews were as recent as Oct/Nov, so I just assumed. Oops!

This is so helpful, so is seeing the other products. The thermal indicators look like something worth getting to double check my dryer (because I'm paranoid, thanks anxiety). Is the Packtite Passive the same as David Cain's monitor? I thought I saw him post that Packtite licensed/ branded his monitor.

Thanks again!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 2 2017 14:48:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes, David makes the Passive Monitors in the US for me where they are sold as PackTite Passive Monitors. In the Far East, Australia, Middle East and South Africa they are sold by Ensystex (they only sell one type of monitor for bed bugs).

Also worth reading "Schrodinger's bed bug" if you are able to use logic to combat anxiety before it attacks.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 2 2017 20:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 5 hours ago  » Hi, Yes, David makes the Passive Monitors in the US for me where they are sold as PackTite Passive Monitors.  In the Far East, Australia, Middle East and South Africa they are sold by Ensystex (they only sell one type of monitor for bed bugs).Also worth reading "Schrodinger's bed bug" if you are able to use logic to combat anxiety before it attacks.Hope that helps.David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thank you! I have extreme anxiety which was well controlled before this. I am actually currently two sessions into therapy again. BBs in my old place was never confirmed after I had a few strange "bites," but my LL wouldn't allow me to call a PCO. Instead he sprayed and said, if I had BBs, he would bomb too. Even I knew then, before finding this site, that was a big no-no. My lease was ending and I would have had to move shortly after finding the "bites" anyway. Not taking any "bugs" along became my #1 priority. So far, a month staying at my mom's and almost a week since I last set foot in my old apartment to finish the clear out and no "bites." Some one-off bumps, yes, but much more likely acne spots or keratosis pilaris bumps that quickly fade. Nothing like the bright red, slightly itchy, long-lasting "bites" I had. Still, I know monitoring and being cautious will help quell my bug anxiety... and will help should we ever get BBs! It's very much Schrodinger's Bedbug and headbugs for me right now. But just reading on here has given me so much knowledge, and just as important, hope and the comfort that I'm not crazy - or alone.

I'm so glad I found this site and all the info here and really appreciate all the expert advice. It's really priceless.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 6:50:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I may have to write something about "head bugs" in the coming week because I feel there is a clear distinction between anxiety triggered issues and skin reactions compounded by stress.

One to be worked with and the other to be walked from.

Thanks for you post though, it really helps to see people get a plan and get on with life, there is a magnetism to strong emotions which keep some stuck jumping from one emotive tot he next until that roller coaster becomes the exhaust-er.

David

7. thissucks82

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 20:45:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there!

We put our Packtite together tonight and are attempting to start the cookoff. However, I'm a little concerned because it seems to be taking a very long time to heat. We've had it turned on now for about 90 minutes and it's at 95 degrees. Is that normal for the first use? Will it always take so long? We were hoping to get a few bags of linens done tonight, but we still can't get our very first batch, which is just a pile of light linens.

Any help would be appreciated!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 23:19:24
    #

Login to Send PM

thissucks82 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi there!
    We put our Packtite together tonight and are attempting to start the cookoff. However, I'm a little concerned because it seems to be taking a very long time to heat. We've had it turned on now for about 90 minutes and it's at 95 degrees. Is that normal for the first use? Will it always take so long? We were hoping to get a few bags of linens done tonight, but we still can't get our very first batch, which is just a pile of light linens.

Generally speaking, you should start your own new thread to ask new questions rather than responding to an older, existing one.

Packtites are going to take a long time to heat a densely packed bag of stuff. If this is the situation, I suggest taking items out and loosely putting them into the Packtite. If it's a Packtite Closet, you can hang them, which leads to very quick treatment times, and if it's a Packtite 2, place them in loosely with the temperature probe in the center.

It may seem less efficient to do fewer items at a time but they will get to temperature much faster.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. thissucks82

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 23:57:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 35 minutes ago  » 

thissucks82 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi there!

Generally speaking, you should start your own new thread to ask new questions rather than responding to an older, existing one.
    Packtites are going to take a long time to heat a densely packed bag of stuff. If this is the situation, I suggest taking items out and loosely putting them into the Packtite. If it's a Packtite Closet, you can hang them, which leads to very quick treatment times, and if it's a Packtite 2, place them in loosely with the temperature probe in the center.
    It may seem less efficient to do fewer items at a time but they will get to temperature much faster.

Sorry, I was hoping for a quick response so I thought it might work better to ask a related question in an active thread. My apologies.

It's been almost 5 hours now and it's still only at 109. I guess I'll try removing some items?

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 3 2017 23:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been almost 5 hours now and it's still only at 109. I guess I'll try removing some items?

Yes-- it sounds like you were working with a densely packed bag of things.

Did you remove some of it and how did that go?

11. thissucks82

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 4 2017 19:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 19 hours ago  » 

Yes-- it sounds like you were working with a densely packed bag of things.
    Did you remove some of it and how did that go?

Yes, the temperature rose much faster when I emptied some of the items, and since then, I've been much more careful about the density.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 4 2017 19:46:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Great!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82