Packtite 2 photos

(13 posts)
  1. redbird

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 12:21:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I will try to post some photos of my new Packtite 2.
    Here is the front view:
    Packtite 2 by rbird2757, on Flickr
    Right side with heater:
    Left side:
    Back:
    Top, closed:
    Top open:
    Right side, with heater removed to show opening on the side:
    The heater is not attached to the unit, but sits in a cradle that holds it near the opening. It is designed to heat quickly, driving bugs to the center of the load, where they are eventually killed. It will not trap bugs unless it is turned on, but the old one wasn't airtight, either. This one makes it quite obvious. The new design supposedly heats faster, too, and my first runs indicate that this is so. A 25 in. suitcase with some shoes, purses, and woolens heated to 124 degrees F in about 50 minutes, with the room temperature at 72 degrees F.
    The external heater requires more space at the right side of the unit. The instructions call for 3 feet of unobstructed space. The heater can easily be stored inside the unit between uses, and the shelf can also be removed for storage, although not quite as easily.
    I measure the dimensions of the fabric cover at 36 in. wide, 18 inches front to back, and 24 inches high, of which 15 inches are usable space. I no longer have my old packtite to compare, but this one SEEMS to be a little taller and a bit shallower front to back. A 25 in. suitcase fits easily, but my 30 incher will be a tight fit.
    The new thermometer is a digital cooking timer/thermometer with a probe. The big advantage of this is that it beeps when you reach the proper temperature, if you set it correctly. I use one of these for cooking, and it can be a little tricky. The disadvantage is that the cord on the probe is much shorter, and I will have to find a new place to keep the thermometer.
    I will understand this product better after more use, but wanted to get this information out as soon as possible. The Packtite company didn't have much information available when I had to choose between this and the Closet. I hope this helps someone else make a decision.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 13:12:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the pictures and info!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 15:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Packtite 2. Is it a new version of the original or maybe a combo of the original and the Packtite max? I had almost made up my mind on the closet, but this one does seem big enough.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 15:19:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting! Thanks for sharing those photos.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. redbird

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2014 18:53:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight, this is sort of a mix of the original and the Max. It is about the same size as the original, but has the external heater.

6. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 11:20:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Redbird,

Thank you for responding and again for the good pictures. It looks like it will work fine.

You have been very helpful!

7. highlyneurotic

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 4 2014 18:37:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Redbird for these photos. I, too, just received my Packtite 2 and am trying to figure it out. I have the bracket set up to hold the heater, but I'm afraid I haven't done something right, because the heater just kind of sits there, not snugly or anything. I understand it doesn't create a secure seal with the bag, but the closest I can get it to the bag is at least a half-inch away from the bag and the window opening. Does this seem correct?

Also, there is a piece of black plastic that came in mine that I can't figure out what to do with. It seems like the same heavy-duty plastic that the bracket is made out of. It is attached to the opposite side of the bag from where the heater is--it lies on top of the metal grate, outside the orange tape area and close to the edge of the bag. I can't tell if I'm supposed to remove this piece of plastic from its clips and do something with it, or just leave it there. Can anyone help with an answer to this? Thanks in advance!

8. highlyneurotic

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 4 2014 18:41:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I should note that this extra piece of plastic is a flat rectangular piece measuring about 8 inches by 3 1/2 inches. I would try to take a picture, but I can't get it to show up inside the bag, with or without flash.

9. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon May 5 2014 12:03:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Please let me know how it goes with your packtite 2s. I ran mine twice and the second time the heater broke before I reached appropriate heating levels, even though I followed all the directions. David James sent me a replacement heater. I moved the new packtite 2 to a different plug which my landlord claims has its own circuit for some reason, so there should be no danger of electrical problems. I had the packtite 3 feet from other objects. It broke again on the second use! David James thinks I'm setting it up funny somehow. I am wondering if I have electrical problems in my apartment.

So please post your experiences with Pactite 2!

10. highlyneurotic

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon May 5 2014 12:12:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Mangycur: I will let you know about my experience with the heater, but I don't want to start using it until I'm sure I have it set up correctly. My heater fits fine in its bracket and rests levelly within the grooves on the bottom piece of plastic on the bracket, but the front of the heater cannot be made to fit anywhere that close to the open window on the bag--is this the case with yours? Also, do you have that other stray piece of plastic in yours?

I do know that the heaters in the old units came with a three-prong plug (or at least the wall adaptor was three-prong). I do not know whether this plug on the new units is less grounded or more likely to blow a fuse for that reason.

11. djames1921

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 9:35:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a link to a video showing the features of our new unit

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

We have not had anytime to officially launch the new product properly but we will be releasing more info/videos soon. The Packtite2 is the replacement for the original Packtite, its design is such that you get the added safety of an external heater but it still has the ability to recirculate/reheat back flow air so that the unit can achieve temps hotter internally than from a standard 1500w heater. The video shows a nice example of this. We have been spending all our time taking care of our recall customers so I have had little time to post here. Mangycur, I sent you my personal email through an pm on this site, please email me directly as I'd like to fix your issue.

12. redbird

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2014 10:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

It's good to see the new video. After 2 months of use, we have some comments:
    It does seem take a longer time to heat dense items than the original Packtite used to, We have to make sure air flows easily around everything, which means stacking things next to the suitcase or doing multiple loads. We also have to make sure the heater is in just the right position.
    While I liked the cooking thermometer idea, we never heard the timer, because our Packtite is in our sunroom. I thought I would try a remote BBQ thermometer. I ended up trying 2 thermometers made by Maverick.
    The “professional” remote cooking thermometer, model bb22, purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond, had an Auto-off feature that shut off the thermometer if temps stayed below 120F for an extended period. Not useful for us.
    The "Wireless Barbecue Thermometer Set" model ET-732, purchased at a local kitchen store, did the trick. It has two probes, and we use the blunter one, so as to not poke materials in the suitcase. The remote range reaches to the second floor of our house. We can set the temp alert, and then a timer, monitoring the whole load from upstairs. This thermometer cost $60.
    Hope this information helps someone.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 0:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your post, redbird.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,683 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982