Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Overwhelmed

(19 posts)
  1. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 13 2017 7:42:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all, I'm glad I found this site....because I'm beginning to feel increasingly isolated in dealing with this. I am a single parent who shares custody with my daughter's father 50/50. Flash back to exactly a week ago when my life changed forever it seems. Last Monday night I had my daughter, woke up as usual and she was complaining of some itching on the bottom of her head. I didn't see anything, felt a slight bump, put some cream on it and sent her on her way. She apparently had developed some other small welts around her neck/upper back at school that day and went to the nurse. She was with her dad Tuesday night and on weds morning he sent me a picture of the welts and they looked very alarming. I immediately made her a dr appt and called her school nurse to get her opinion as well. Without relaying what the nurse had advised me to her dr, they coincidently both told me they were condusive with bed bug bites. Not being very educated on this topic at the time, although it consumes my every thought each day since, I ripped my sheets and blankets off my bed and threw them on my floor and inspected the top of my mattress. I didn't seee much, but one black dot type stain near the foot of my mattess. I have not slept in my bed since and refuse to barely even go in my room...after stewing the rest of week worrying, I sprayed my matress and around my bed, but the more research I've done I've realized this could potentially be an astronomical issue. I researched all weekend, and finally decided for my own peace of mind to call an exterminator. To say I'm a compete wreck is an understatement. They are coming Thursday to inspect but are prepared to treat that day. So I am in grueling stages of trying to prep my condo for treatment and it's perhaps the most overwhelming thing I've ever had to do, alone. And it's not humanly possible for me to prepare 100% and I advised the exterminator of this. I live in 1200 sq ft row condo which contains 38 yrs worth of belongings. I don't like clutter at all, but I have tons of closet space being I have no basement...and the closets or generally all full. I have so so many clothes and many toys all over. being I have a six year old. I have many valid concerns....
    1) The source. Is it my daughter, did she pick something up at school, dance class, her dad's, a grandparents? And how many transports have happened? Let alone the paranoia that it can happen again and again being my daughter is bounced around so much.
    2) Could it be either one of units on either side? If so how effective will treating my place really be?
    3) Did I pick something at work or somewhere else? Although I don't do much but work and go home.
    4) Could my car be affected? If so how do I deal with that?
    5) Treatment itself, how effective will that be? I did a lot of research and found a very reputable ma and pa type place that's been around for 30+ years, they have a lot of expertise and good reviews. They also seem very proactive with their approach which I can appreciate during this difficult time. I'm just reluctant to think it will be very affective, at least right away.
    6) Probably most importantly, how do I deal with the mental toll this has already taken on me me probably wil continie to? It's ruining the holiday season for me and all I do is cry and feel anxious over all this. I can't relax or focus or do much. I'm sleeping on an air mattress in my living room and sleep three hours per night if I'm lucky. I have a grueling next 36 hours ahead of me with the prep I need to do my best to continue and I'm zapped of any energy.

This is the most draining thing I've ever endured. The exterminator based upon what I told him seems to think if something is happening here it's in the early stages. Maybe a month or so, not too sure yet. I have not physically or emotionally been able to go pull my entire matress or boxsprong up alone to inspect, however my friend's boyfriend is coming to assist with that tonight being I need to vacuum both in prep for tomorrow. I'm trying to watch what I can and put them in plastic bins in my kitchen and double bagging the rest and will treat them all separately as I can.

I have very limited funds, and this is the worst thing that could happen at the worst possible time. I feel so alone and helpless right now. Any advice or support you can offer would be amazing .

2. Help please

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 13 2017 8:48:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! Im not an expert but from what i read on here and from my own experience, the doctor can’t tell if the bites are from bed bugs or not. I took my little boy to the doctors when he’s had bites and the doctor said she cant tell what the bites are from. I hope you havent got them

3. StopTheSpread

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 13 2017 9:57:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I may be a little confused here but you haven't received a confirmation that you even have an infestation, right? Bed bugs cannot be diagnosed from bites. It just means that you have to consider it may be bed bugs and in many cases it is not. I am not an expert but I have been through this before. My advice is to take a deep breath and step back for a moment. I have a problem with the prepping and spraying the same day as the inspection because what if they can't find anything? And all of this prepping is either eliminating or disturbing any evidence that they need to find. Because you prepped and they have made time to treat, they may spray regardless of whether you actually have an infestation which is a waste of your time and money.
    My advice (and I hope an expert weighs in) is to stop with the prep and especially the dismantling and vacuuming of the mattresses. Get the exterminator in and see if they can find any conclusive evidence. If they do, discuss with them what options are available to you and come up with a solid evidence-based plan (you need to take in consideration you are in a condo with attached neighbors). If they cannot find anything, have them work with you to put a monitoring system in place. You can probably do this yourself with information from this site. Honestly, and I know it is very hard, this is a one step at a time situation. Many people, myself included, made mistakes out of panic that can make this situation harder to treat. I would also consider the idea that it is possible your ex's place may have something going on. It makes no sense to treat your place with lack of any evidence and have the situation actually occurring at her dad's house.

4. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 13 2017 9:58:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response and taking the time to read my post. Her dr didn't say 100% but that was his thought based on the location and the visual. Which they do now that I know what they do actually look like. And the exterminator agreed upon me sending him the pic as well. This is insane, never in a million years would I have thought. I was one of "those" who associated these bugs with filth...boy do I know different now. I have never been so petrified in all my life. I can't sleep or eat of focus on my job. It's awful.

5. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 13 2017 10:11:24
    #

Login to Send PM

@stopthespread....I agree with what your saying also. Thank you for your well thought response. I just don't know what to do. I've yet to see a live one, however I did find two black spots on the end of my matress which resembled those of fecal matter. I really need to admit that I'm too petrified to look under and on my box spring, but as of now Im a wreck. ironically I was going to be getting my daughter a "big girl" bed for Christmas and new furniture, as I recently got rid of her toddler bed. So there is very minimal furniture in her room right now. We have been co-sleeping for now....and until I confirm or whatever I'm not bringing any piece of new furniture into my home. I have noticed some things that were a little off the past month or so. For example upon waking my room just has an odd smell initially. I chalked it up to the fact I'm a very sweaty sleeper, but it has struck me as odd because it's mainly on the mornings in which my daughter has been in my bed. I have had a few itchy boughts but never thought anything off it, and certainly not the degree my daughter did last week. So it's a little alarming. No one wants to hear of even think of the words "bed bugs"....I just don't know what to do for my own peace of mind because I refuse to sleep in my room now, which I've read can actually be a bad thing. But I mentally just can't sleep there. I can't sleep anywhere the past week. It's bad.

6. CatsMeow

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 13 2017 22:46:39
    #

Login to Send PM

@Helerown, I was the exact same at the beginning of November. I found some "white things" along the piping of the cushions on the back of my couch. Started really looking and found a live bug. I put in a plastic baggie and took my couch right out the door. Of course, several hours later I read that you shouldn't do that but I had already did. I vacuumed and cleaned the vacuum when done. The couch only went 8 feet but still. I may have made it worse. Terminex and the next day and saw NO signs in my house but confirmed once he saw the couch. Since then my landlord has been treating. I won't bring a new couch in until I am AT LEAST 30 days with no bugs. I will be having a canine come in in January. I understand completely how you are feeling. As I'm sure alot of us on here do. I'm a single parent and my son found 2 on him last week. It killed me. But try and breath. I know it's rough, really rough. It also the holidays, I didn't even decorate and I usually go all out with decorating for Christmas. I agree with the other posters, confirmation should have come first. You may very well not have bed bugs and if you don't, then all of your prep and anxiety over it, was for nothing. Please try and take care of yourself through all of this. And please update us about what the PCO says or does. Stay strong!!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 0:00:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with the advice above to stop treating and get a careful inspection. If the inspector claims to find visual evidence, post a photo here to confirm it.

You have only one small black mark in your bed and it's not clear to me if you found anything where your daughter sleeps at home. If not, then it's likely elsewhere. As noted above doctors can't diagnose bed bugs based on skin reactions, and the possibility remains it could be something other than bed bugs. It could also be bed bugs at some other location.

The child could be being bitten at her father's, grandparents', school or anywhere she goes. But those seem like likely locations. Make sure the father and grandparents inspect their homes-- they should call in a pro to inspect. They may have the problem and may not react to bites so may not know. Reactions are typically delayed, so she could be bitten hours, days, or even a week or more before reactions occur.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 0:05:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you kindly all for your responses and advice. I really appreciate it. This is the worst anxiety I have ever experienced in my life and I haven't slept for more than a few hours each night. It's sadly comforting, yet very unfortunate to know I'm not alone.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 0:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

You are not alone. Please take care of your health in order to help make this easier on you and everyone. Anxiety can be treated. Lack of sleep makes everything worse.

10. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 1:55:37
    #

Login to Send PM

@nobugsonme you are very right, lack of sleep makes it so much worse. But I'm just a total complete wreck. This has affected every moment of my life since a week ago. I took for granted how comfortable I once felt in my own home. Now I feel like a paranoid anxious mess. I suffer from anxiety as it is....so anyone can imagine how this has exasperated it to a level that's hard for me to manage and my antianxiety meds aren't helping calm me as of now. It would be easier to handle if I didn't have a child who is bounced back and forth and she feels no security here now seeing everything in bags and me throwing out a lot of things. And we bundle up on an air mattress on the living room floor. She's all excited for Christmas and I can't find any excitement in much right now and I feel extreme guilt over her. My condo looks like it did when I first bought it. It's sad. My life has been turned upside down right now.

11. CatsMeow

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 8:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Helerown - 6 hours ago  » 
    @nobugsonme you are very right, lack of sleep makes it so much worse. But I'm just a total complete wreck. This has affected every moment of my life since a week ago. I took for granted how comfortable I once felt in my own home. Now I feel like a paranoid anxious mess. I suffer from anxiety as it is....so anyone can imagine how this has exasperated it to a level that's hard for me to manage and my antianxiety meds aren't helping calm me as of now. It would be easier to handle if I didn't have a child who is bounced back and forth and she feels no security here now seeing everything in bags and me throwing out a lot of things. And we bundle up on an air mattress on the living room floor. She's all excited for Christmas and I can't find any excitement in much right now and I feel extreme guilt over her. My condo looks like it did when I first bought it. It's sad. My life has been turned upside down right now.

I get this!! Been there done that and still going through. When I leave my house, I'm worried about spreading them but my anxiety is at a lower level than when I go home. I walk in y door and start looking the walls up and down. I check everything. But once treatments started, my anxiety has been "as bad" as it was before treatment. My house Is tore apart and feels and looks like we are getting ready to move but I can get through it. And you will also. I completely understand ALL of your feelings. I hope that you start yo have some relief and that you take care if you and your child. You will get through this!!

12. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 10:13:35
    #

Login to Send PM

@catsmeow....this has been hell for me. It took just seeing bites once on my daughter to go into a frenzy. I'm so riddled with anxiety I'm having even a hard time prepping for them to come. I don't want to see any or I'll go crazy. My friends boyfriend had to pose a risk and come here and help me with my bed last night because mentally I was not able to do it alone. Forget my actual boyfriend with whom I petrefied of him getting these that I won't be seeing him for a few weeks at the very least. I agree with what many posters said about waiting and having an inspector come and assess, but i don't think I can wait...I can't go another week or two in this state of mine, I'm bound to end up commited with no sleep, so I will suck up the $780 and have my place treated. The one PLUS, and I mean the ONLY PLUS....is I have gotten rid off so much stuff that I should have done years ago. What hurts me is the stuff of my daughter's I've had to bag up or throw away, although she has too many toys to begin with and some needed to go, I can see it's hurting her a lot. 😞

13. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 15:58:37
    #

Login to Send PM

**UPDATE** I 100% moved forward with treating my home today. Upon vacuuming and taking apart my couch ( which I was dreading because I was afraid what I would see) I found several casings that I left for the exterminator to examine. It was confirmed they were
    from bed bugs. They saw no live activity whatsoever upstairs, however they confirmed a few fecal stains on the pillow top of my mattress. They dismantled the metal bed frame and sprayed in every nook, they punctured my box spring and sprayed inside and then encased it and encased my mattress as well, after treating it. They treated my entire place, all baseboards, all closets, every piece of furniture, every inch where my ceiling meets the wall and all outlets and light switches, even my air matress. I feel a bit calmer now. He told me I can most definitely sleep in my bed without an issue now, but that will take me a while...it will take me a while to feel comfortable on my couch as well. I feel traumatized. I will be on the air mattress again for a bit. They come back on the 22nd to do another round so I plan on leaving everything as it is and probably will for a while, if not years. But they made me a little less distraught. I have so many untreated garbage bags of crap here I'll be washing and/or drying stuff for the rest of my life before I take them back out. They used a combo of Temprid FX, Bedlam Plus, and Drione. He has a 60 day warranty and and backs up his treatments 100%. I'm already seeing various insects coming out of no where half dead. I'm trying to stay positive after a week of hell.

14. CatsMeow

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 17:38:39
    #

Login to Send PM

It's all understandable. Has the PCO came yet?

15. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 19:09:40
    #

Login to Send PM

@catsmeow. I left a whole post about it but it didn't post for some reason. Yes they came and I feel so much better honestly. They were extremely thorough and did find casings on my couch and a few fecal stains on my mattress. They treated every single inch of my home, baseboards, dismantled bed, punctured my box spring to blast the treatment inside and then incased it, mattress and encased it, every light switch fixture and electrical socket and every inch of where the ceiling meets the wall. They treated my entire couch, every inch, every piece of furniture, even my air mattress....they will come back on the 22nd for the second treatment. He told me I am clear to sleep in my bed but I just think that will take a while. As will unpacking my entire life that I packed up the past 48 hrs. I'm just going to stay put for now, but trying to be positive. At least I'm calmer...and I hope to sleep tonight for the first time in a week...but it won't be in my bed just yet.

16. CatsMeow

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 19:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Helerown - 18 minutes ago  » 
    @catsmeow. I left a whole post about it but it didn't post for some reason. Yes they came and I feel so much better honestly. They were extremely thorough and did find casings on my couch and a few fecal stains on my mattress. They treated every single inch of my home, baseboards, dismantled bed, punctured my box spring to blast the treatment inside and then incased it, mattress and encased it, every light switch fixture and electrical socket and every inch of where the ceiling meets the wall. They treated my entire couch, every inch, every piece of furniture, even my air mattress....they will come back on the 22nd for the second treatment. He told me I am clear to sleep in my bed but I just think that will take a while. As will unpacking my entire life that I packed up the past 48 hrs. I'm just going to stay put for now, but trying to be positive. At least I'm calmer...and I hope to sleep tonight for the first time in a week...but it won't be in my bed just yet.

Sounds as though you found a good PCO. I am glad to hear that they were thorough. I hope you can start to breath a little. I know it is difficult. I am in the same type of situation except my landlord won't pay to have treatment done. He is doing it himself but he isn't doing everything that the PCO would do. So I'm picking up the slack. Keep us updated and I hope you end up having a Merry Christmas!!

17. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 19:44:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you catsmeow...same to you ❤️ although I know and understand your turmoil. My condo association would've paid to have their chosen exterminator come out to inspect and treat if they felt it was needed, but i don't trust them. I got a very good feeling from the people I ultimately paid for after calling about 10 places. My sanity was and is one the line. This is the worst feeling, but I'm happy I can feel a little calmer tonight at least...

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Dec 15 2017 0:32:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Your post was in the spam filter. It’s restored above and shouldn’t happen to you again.

19. Absmith1112

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 5 2018 0:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

@Helerown did the treatment that the PCO used work, using the Temprid FX, Bedlam Plis and Drione work? And if so, how many treatments did it take for you?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg