(4 posts)
  1. juliusluv

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 28 2019 9:03:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I woke up today to a fresh blood stain on the lower bottom half of my pillow where my face rests (I tend to sleep on the side of my face). Here's the photo.

Could this be an indication of a squashed bed bug?

I have terrible anxiety and fear of insects and in the past I tend to overthink a situation so finding this out of nowhere this morning has been really rough with me. The thought of potentially even having BBs is interfering with my every day life. It doesn't help that reactions to bites varies between people making the uncertainty even worse.

So far with my own observations:
    No signs of bites on my face or neck (yet)
    No observed poop marker reminiscent of sharpie marks (is this corect?)
    No observed BB corpses near the blood stain
    A quick look under the mattress especially at the corners didn't reveal any live or dead specimens either
    I do have a raw, red stinging spot on my face which was caused from the cold Canadian winter air. I'm not sure if sleeping on it caused it to "pop"?
    Could it be a random nose bleed from how dry it is in my room?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 28 2019 9:32:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Great image quality, it really helps.

It’s not confirming of bedbugs and a “squashed one” is behaviourally unlikely from both the human and bedbug perspective. A common fear but an extremely improbable reality.

From the more diffuse centre and the darker red edge I would say this was a bleed direct from source and more likely to be a spot or cut than nose due to quantity and appearance.

I would certainly not be fearing bedbugs based on that.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. juliusluv

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 28 2019 9:38:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 minutes ago  » 
    It’s not confirming of bedbugs and a “squashed one” is behaviourally unlikely from both the human and bedbug perspective.

Thanks for you reply David. Just to clarify - what do you mean that it is behaviourally unlikely? Do you mean that the likelihood that I accidentally smashed a well-fed BB is low?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 28 2019 10:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bedbugs prefer not to walk on their food source, they walk close and then insert their stylet from there. Therefore they are unlikely to be crushed as they are not locked on to feed.

Equally within a crushed bedbug there is a mixsture of fresh blood but also bedbug faecal which is brown in colour.

If you have a look at the “blood spots on sheets primer” you can see example images.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula