Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

over 40 bites on left hand. my dorm director says they arent bed bugs.

(15 posts)
  1. CINCINNATI

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 9:34:20
    #

Login to Send PM

So i am in Cincinnati. its like a wild bed bug breeding ground down here. i live in a dorm and i know alot of my friends have had bedbugs, without even getting bit, they have found them and our dorm director hires a company to come in and do heat treatment.

It has been about a month now since my first bites. I have over 40 bites on my left hand and another 40+ on my abdominal area and sides. I am going mad. I cant find any bed bugs, however i have found these...

http://tinypic.com/r/257n8lz/7
    http://tinypic.com/r/3463nya/7

i would greatly appreciate if anyone can identify them as i wish i knew if these were the biters or if i also have a seriously good squad of hiding bed bug ninjas. I have not slept for two days. I have my exams this week and I cant believe I am in this emotional and physical state. I havent been eating and I just cant deal with all these bites. They itch and are splotchy the first few days and then settle into a puss filled head, or red puncture head/scab. If anyone can help...I am going back home for xmas break and wish i knew what to tell my parents if i do or dont have bed bugs.
    My dorm director said bites werent proof enough. he needs a bed bug before he calls the exterminator. I think 85 bites is proof enough. Please help.
    Thanks,
    Cincinnati

2. AbugMess

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 9:44:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I am definitely not an expert, and I'm actually relatively new, but if it helps until someone professional responds, they don't look like bed bugs to me.
    I don't know what they are though.
    I could only look at the last two images so I couldn't see the first ones.

3. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 10:34:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I am also no expert, but have found many of these in my home and have been told they are carpet beetle or some type of beetle larva. I have also seen many postings on this site that carpet beetles can cause "bite" like reactions. Hopefully one of the entomologist or PCO's will stop by and advise you soon.

4. LVK9

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 10:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

CINCINNATI, soooconfused is correct they are carpet beetle larvae and they can cause bite like skin reactions.

5. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 11:13:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Just show them those bugs! They aren't bed bugs, but they are still a problem. Either way, the exterminator needs to be called.

6. CINCINNATI

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 11:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks friends i appreciate your replies and i am glad to know what these buggers are. knowing this i am sure my director will get an exterminator. thanks again for the info. cheers.
    CINCINNATI

7. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 13:06:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Nor do I have any expertise, but do wait for one of the experts on this forum to advise you because I think it does make a difference which type of insect it is, as to how you proceed.

Or, of course, before an exterminator comes, suggest that your director email them the photos and find out what they advise.

In fact perhaps email the photos to more than one exterminator and find out what they advise and whether they coincide with each other as to what they advise.

Bear in mind that exterminators make their living by getting paid for their services and some may slant their advice towards you/your dorm spending more money, not less. You always have to be aware of the "asking the barber whether you need a haircut" issue, and also, "asking the barber which kind of haircut you need – a cheap kind or an expensive kind".

8. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 14:36:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Cincinnati, just wanted to agree with the above posters, that those bugs look like carpet beetle "babies".
    Just because those bugs are carpet beetles, still doesn't rule out bed bugs, as some of us here, have unfortunately had BOTH!
    Have you flipped over your mattress and checked for fecal stains and/or bugs? If you have a box spring, have you checked that too? (we found ours inside the box spring, so you'd have to take the under material off to look inside)
    Hopefully, you only have carpet beetles. I am not sure if or how you have to worry about transporting those to your parents house over the holidays, but I think those aren't "hitchhikers" like bed bugs, but maybe one of our experts will advise.
    Good luck on your finals!

9. CINCINNATI

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 14 2010 16:34:25
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks. i looked up different pics of carpet beetle larvae and that is definitely what they are/ look like. i went to the doctor, told her about me having possible reactions to carpet beetle larvae. she just nodded her head and told me they would take care of me, then she prescribed me a bottle of LINDANE lotion for scabies. could these bugs have given me scabies, or is my doc just telling me that because she doesnt know a medicine for carpet beetle larvae reactions. should i be taking this. cause i did. i wiped it all on my body last night. left it on for 12 hours and thats about it. its still itching but they said on the bottle it would. they also said it causes convulsions/ seizures and death to those without scabies. soooo... i have no idea what i am supposed to be doing anymore. but i keep finding more carpet beetle larvae daily. awesome right?

10. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 14 2010 17:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a doctor, but I think lindane is used when pests are living on you. I don't think this is your case. You need to get rid of these bugs in your dorm room. The housing dept. is responsible.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2012 11:14:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetle larvae. Look like a species of Anthrenus.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2012 11:23:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Also don't use Lindane on you for carpet beetles. No reason to treat yourself and tell the doctor she doesn't understand the issue and shouldn't be prescribing Lindane solutions for carpet beetle infestations: it's not an insect parasite of humans. BTW, Lindane normally isn't the product to prescribe for scabies and body or crab lice, but, unfortunately, some physicians do this. They don't keep up with the medical entomology literature.

13. Louise

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2012 12:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 38 minutes ago  » 
    BTW, Lindane normally isn't the product to prescribe for scabies and body or crab lice, but, unfortunately, some physicians do this.

What is the product that should be prescribed for scabies? (I'd like to file that information away for future reference should I ever need it...)

14. SemperPruritus

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2012 18:27:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't take any more Lindane! Your doctor is an idiot, it's not even the preferred protocol for scabies, just the lazy choice for incompetent doctors whose expertise is out of date or they are required to prescribe the cheaper medication. Permethrin is much less hazardous and more effective. (Lindane is not allowed for pregnant women and children, which should tell you something.) It won't, however, kill you or harm you whether or not you have scabies. You might want to do some detoxification however (exercise, cleansing teas) to get as much out of your system as possible.

Make sure you have scabies before taking anything... look for burrows under the skin punctuated by small red pinpricks, lots of activity around knuckles, inner elbows and feet. Check your symptoms against a reputable source like the NIH MedlinePlus or MayoClinic sites. Better yet, go to a dermatologist if you can, they'll know the difference better than the general practitioner.

15. bait

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2012 22:04:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I would like to see studies cited by proponents of this carpet beetle larvae theory. I know about spider "hairs," but that is about self defense. Caterpillars have these hairs, too. I used to play with caterpillars when I was a child. Never had bite-like reactions.

Meanwhile, Ivermectin is the safest and up-to-date treatment for scabies. See, http://www.topix.com/forum/health/scabies/TNTT2GSSSPCBKRDHT
    Note this study is over 10 years old. Ivermectin is now administered orally in the U.S.

Ivermectin should be studied for its "side effect" on ectoparasites as reported by tropical medicine doctors treating onchocerciasis. Experimenting with the dosage may show a similar effect on BBs, just not sure how much it would take while remaining safe for humans.

Bait

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto