Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Outlets

(14 posts)
  1. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2012 20:36:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I"m in a multifamily unit with neighbors who travel quite a bit (near a major airport hub on mass transit to it, so pilots, flight attendants, etc).

I just read on another thread that David Cain doesn't often see BBs in outlets unless it is near the host. Please correct me if I misinterpreted. So, the main outlets to be concerned about would be near the bed, sofa, etc? Is this correct?

I thought they might be "hotspots" for BBs since I often read that people dust them. I worry about BBs starting somewhere else and traveling, and I guess there are quite a few ways for that to happen (plumbing, outlets, floor radiators (which I have near the bed), etc.

I'm OCD so I tend to worry. I know it's a silly question, so don't worry about it if there are more important issues.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2012 21:44:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yeah you got it right, I just don't see outlets as an issue unless they are close to a heavily infested part of the room and the logical refugia / harbourages are already occupied / exhausted.

For some reason and I will avoid too much finger wagging speculation the dusting of outlets has become an accepted part of standard protocols in the US but that may be a symptom of the protocol lead approach that exists here. For example:

lazy dog A wags its tail at a plant in the lounge and lazier handler feels that means there MUST be bedbugs so they don't need to inspect and confirm. They simply recommend a full treatment which automatically means: encasements on all mattresses, pillows, box springs as well as application of dusts to all outlets, application of at least 3 different types of insecticide, bagging your life up in zip locks and a revisit from lazy doggie after that has all been done three times.

Personally I would say its time to take the mut for a walk around the block so it can cock its legs, recheck its accuracy with a known hide and visual confirmation of the plant to find live samples, cast skins or faecal traces.

Without evidence and treating appropriately you may as well also install sofa encasements, bedside cabinet encasements and not entering your home without being in a full biohazzard suit (unless of course they have not paid to be part of the standard protocol).

The reality is that its extremely unlikely that you would get a bedbug in an outlet and no where else in your home. On the scale of worry I would say the risk is greater of the martians landing on your home and bringing bedbugs with them.

I know the thought of bedbugs can be scary but that fear and anxiety is best kept in check and reserve until you actually have them.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. lsdrg706

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2012 21:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 11 minutes ago  » 

The reality is that its extremely unlikely that you would get a bedbug in an outlet and no where else in your home. On the scale of worry I would say the risk is greater of the martians landing on your home and bringing bedbugs with them.

This is totally a sigworthy statement.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2012 22:10:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. I packtite and check when cleaning for signs. I finally decided if one drops off by the packtite it is probably going to follow me to near the bed (since I'm not elsewhere more than 5-10 mintues right now....heavy workload).

My tagname is Theyareoutthere and I was a hugh Xfile fan, so....maybe I think the chance of martians landing with bedbugs is higher than you do

5. MsLadybug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 0:45:51
    #

Login to Send PM

When I enter a home to inspect for bedbugs there's a dialogue going on: Why do you think you have bed bugs? When did the problem start? Have you been travelling or had guests stay over. What has come into the house around the time the problem started? One time Ladybug hit on a suitcase on the front porch and a couch in the living room and 2 dresser drawers in the master bedroom. Guess what? That particular suitcase came home, late at night they plopped it on the couch. Took out the clean clothes and put them back into the dresser, threw the suitcase onto the covered front porch. None of these bugs had made it far at all. If an outlet were practically touching the bed it would be better real estate that just any random outlet...and heck some nice guy ran a wire from his condo (the outlet) to his buddies condo (the lamp) even better!

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 1:00:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Folks,

For what it's worth, I commonly find bed bugs in wall outlets of the walls behind the head of the bead and couches.

In fact, just last week this was so.

Additionally, the outlets give us a "free" access to dust utility penetrations and the wallvoid there of.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

7. Alberta has bugs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 1:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT, what a great question and what a great anwser by David.
    Obviously after all the case's he has been on, the experience kicks in, while the rest of us are just learning.
    I did dust all electrical outlets based on what I read and OCD or not I check every little speck I find.

Now I am also an X-File fan and the thought occured to me that this is a government plot with one mother of a bug the size of a house located in a mountain. This bug is breeding pesticide resistant bugs.

We need to kill that bug!

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 9:43:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I suppose the take home message for me is that to say that they can is not the same as to assume that they are always.

Its one of those times where to assume is to make an ass out to you but not me because I am not going to assume, I am going to look and act accordingly.

David

9. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 10:26:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Question for the pros:

I know that outlets vary slightly from country to country (as anyone who has traveled abroad with electronics is aware.)

We also know that bed construction varies slightly from country to country sometimes--for example, box springs in the UK are very different from the style that predominates in the US.

Is there any chance that a difference in outlet style is partly behind the different rates of infestation in outlets that David and Paul see? Any chance that Americans are more likely to put the headboards or heads of their beds directly over an outlet than in the UK? Any chance that American outlets are differently placed in bedrooms (height, frequency of outlet placement, etc.) that factor into this discussion?

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 10:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to say no.

The risk of an outlet being infested seems to be related to the level of infestation in the other refugia / harbourages already in the room and through the use of inappropriate treatment strategies to drive them there.

There is no single standard in the UK due to the vast array or styles and ages of properties although it has to be said its less common to find an outlet in a stupid location such as behind a bed.

David

11. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 11:40:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, everybody. It sounds like it's likely 1) the more infested the home and 2) the closer the outlet is to a bed, sofa, etc. That's a paraphrase of David.

My original question may have confused matters since I don't have BBs and David gave a great answer. It's unlikely unless they are elsewhere. A couple of general takeaways I've gotten from this site:

1. IF they are in the bathroom, that may mean neighbors
    2. Optimize the bed...try to keep them from spreading (and do your checks)
    3. Passives work best before there is a problem but are good for monitoring. Some PCOs prefer active monitoring.
    4. Outlets are treated after an infestation, but unlikely harborage before infestation (for some reason, I thought it was a likely place...but only if it's near the bed...which is common in the US to have a couple behind the bed in new construction)

Thanks!

TAOT (I think there should be a BB/X files movie...first bees (yikes) and then this)....

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 11:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 8 minutes ago  » 
    (I think there should be a BB/X files movie...first bees (yikes) and then this)....

But who will be my Scully?

13. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 11:51:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Not me for sure (too old and afraid of bees and BBs)

Can we nominate again??? (like Star Wars)

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 14:28:35
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, just so we're clear !

I think David and I are agreeing to a certain extent in that David stated above that "he would look and act accordingly" which is exactly what needs to be done.

This said, I commonly find BB evidence behind outlet plates. However, these outlet plates are generally located in close proximity to a bed, couch or human resting area.

One "rule of thumb" I keep in mind is; "Because BBs can hide anywhere, we need to look everywhere".

And, I would not expect to find BBs harboring in outlets in low level, short term infestations but that doesn't mean I wouldn't inspect there anyway.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,435 posts in 48,821 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW