Our Tale of Woe

(4 posts)
  1. Our Bedbug Overlords

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 10:03:38
    #

Login to Send PM

We moved to Florida 3 years ago and spent half of it in cheap motels. Florida sucks for cheap motels, they keep jacking the prices up and up. Guess what? The last one was infested with the nasties. Ugh. So it began. I had never seen a bed bug before and didn't know what I was dealing with. Once I figured it out, several montgs later and we found a place to live out of the motel, I started trying to get rid of them. The kids and I reacted but hubby didn't so he wouldn't take it seriously. He'd prop his pillow on the wall, leave blankets draped to the floor and leave untreated ziploc bags unzipped. Sigh. Meanwhile, I was waking up in the morning with literally hundreds of bites. Most of the time there were so many I looked like I had the measles. Sooo, cimexa, boric acid were dusted in every crack and crevice. Empty tuna cans under bed legs with cimexa dusted in. Bed 6 inches from the wall etc. I'd mix up the sprays I used so there was no real schedule as in spray A then spray B then spray C. More like A, B, C then C, B, A then BCA etc. Does that make sense? Anyway. They were down but not gone. Maybe 20-30 bites a night and I was seeing dead ones. Better but not great.
    Then I went insane.
    I started going off label. I put no pest strips everywhere. I'd get up in the morning at 5, turn the ac off, put 3 in the floor of the closet, one at each corner of the bed, one in a slit I cut in the cover under the box spring. Open the drawers. Then I'd close the door and forget I had a bedroom. At 4 I'd reverse the process, open the windows and turn the fan on blowing out the window until 10p bedtime. My daughters room got the same treatment. Once everyone was up, I'd do the front of the house (my son sleeps on a daybed in the lr and the lr is open to the kitchen) and we'd leave for 4-5 hours. Air that out and go on. We did that for a month. No bites at all. No living bugs seen. Tons of dead ones everywhere. Thousands. Literal piles of them. I will continue to do it 3-4 times a month until I stop seeing nonexistent bugs. Hallucinating is such fun. As an aside-I also got rid of the roach infestation and all the other creepy crawly nasties that Florida usually infests. It's been almost 9 months now without bites or visible bedbugs.
    The house is a 700 square foot 2br trailer circa 1984 which hasn't been maintained at all since it was dropped. Major slumlord. The neighbors move in and out as they get arrested so that doesn't help. Don't suggest moving-there's no place else to rent in this area.
    This is not the way to go. Not saying it is. It's worked for us, in our situation. Do not try this at home.

2. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 13:41:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through this. It sounds like you folks got hit HARD! What a story. I'm glad you seem to be on top of it, though! Good job. I've heard Florida can be a very difficult environment to battle bugs in.

Take care!!

3. Our Bedbug Overlords

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 14:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I'd almost swear Florida is built on the tiny (and not so tiny) corpses of all the bugs people have killed here. lol. Still haven't run out tho. Sigh.
    Thanks for the good wishes. Appreciated more than you know. Yes, we got hit hard and scary fast. We had no choice of motels here. Only 2 VERY similar ones here. Neither very good. I swear if I'd been able to keep things zipped in their bags until I got the opprotunity to debug them we would have never had this go this far.
    Like I said-I'm keeping up with the no pest strips until I stop hallucinating them.

4. Our Bedbug Overlords

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 18:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Update. I stopped seeing any signs of bed bugs mid-July. No bites, no bugs, no skins, no poop, no bodies. It's been a year now since the last anything. I spray the circumference and window frames/doors of the trailer monthly for roaches (with the $10 a gallon ACE brand spray) and even they're no longer a problem. Given it's Florida-that's common sense. I'm calling it done and finished.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas