Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

our situation--advice and encouragement welcome!!!!

(5 posts)
  1. barely coping in vancouver

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 15:57:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    First thanks to those who have shared wisdom and mentored others. Amazing there's such community (albeit under very crappy circumstances).

I have been barely barely containing 'paranoia' and anxiety these past few months. My husband travels (by plane) weekly for work so I suspected that we were more vulnerable to bed bugs. I have stayed at hotels in the past and know that I react hugely to them and wanted to keep them out of our home. Odd scares here and there (rashes etc.) that didn't seem to turn up anything when we checked mattresses so we were feeling okay with 'protocols' in place--switched to hardcover luggage, bagging clothes at hotel and so on. Check bed, sheets, area around bed frequently.

A couple of nights ago I woke up with two bites on my elbow. not good sign since it's not really mosquito season in vancouver right now (I will never complain about mosquito bites again--promise). Didn't look good. Looked even worse when I saw blood smear in my bed. not like a squished bug smear but like i was scratching in my sleep and a bleeding cut dragged a bit on the white sheet. regardless- it was blood drops on the bed. so not good.

Husband turned over the box spring yesterday (which we hadn't done yet) and I was HORRIFIED to find black spots (big ones--not the odd one but gross splotchy ones) on the underside of the box spring. NO live bed bugs, NO eggs, NO casings. Big black splotches that look like they would indicate a huge huge infestation. really. black marks everywhere on the underside of the box spring.

What we also found were some weird looking larvae type bugs (about three of them) under the bed. They don't look like bed bugs at all (don't look like carpet beetle larvae, kind of look meal wormy). Rubbing alcohol did NOT kill the bugs. so gross. I would post a picture here but don't know how to do this??

I've had a good cry. I suspect it won't be the last. I've had a big tense argument with my dear hubby about this (again, I don't suspect this will be the last....bless him but he just wants to rip everything apart and is not yet able to understand that we have to do things methodically lest we make things worse).

This is what we're doing and these are things that are puzzling us:

1) I react very very strongly to bed bugs. Been bitten by them at various hotels about ten years ago so I know that I break out in huge burning, rip your skin off welts. I have NOT had this reaction at our home now (fingers crossed), neither have my daughters (3 and 5) or my husband. Odd bits here and there. two bites in a row once or twice but mainly odd bites here and there that could be caused by mosquitos. we catch quite a few mosquitos in our home in the summer.

2) We have these bugs that don't look like bed bugs on the floor underneath our mattress. Don't look like bed bugs.

3) We have black spots that look like there should be a MAJOR infestation somewhere. The boxspring/mattress were given to us years ago (used--gross now that i think about it). We have a memory foam topper on top. Could there be the possibility that the box spring was infested years ago and is no longer (consequently the black spots were there from ages ago). I know wishful thinking but i'm wondering.

4) You would think that with the amount of what-looks-to-be fecal matter, we would either be bitten far more and/or we would have seen/caught some live or dead bed bugs.

ACTION: PCO is coming on Monday (today is Thursday) and bringing bb dog. Reputable company in Vancouver. We have vacuumed and steamed the room. not bagged anything yet. Nor have we bagged the box spring or mattress but will be doing that this afternoon. Will isolate the bed tonight (bed legs in stainless steel bowls) and so on. PCO said not to vacuum on sunday or maybe even sat. so dog has more evidence to potentially sniff out. Have larvae-y type bug in container so will show pco on monday.

I welcome any interpretations of the above chaos!

Thanks!

2. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 16:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi barelycoping,
    First thing, take a deep breath and exhale. I'm so sorry that you're going through this scare. I for one know how much of a toll it can take on you since I'm still going through the worry. However, everytime I think I've found evidence, it turned out to be something else. So, chances are it's something else.

Regarding the fecal stains. If it's as bad as you say it is, I would imagine you would have found cast skins, or live bugs as well. So, again, chances are you may not have bbs.

Waiting until Monday for your PCO might be unbearable for you.You can upload your pictures by creating an account at flickr.com or photobucket.com. once you've done that, copy the link to your pictures and paste it in your followup post and then the experts here can take a look at it.

You can come here to vent or ask for opinions, help, or just to chat. Everyone is great here. There are also some great PCOs, entomologist who also frequent the board to offer advice, help, and support.

We're here for you!!

Good luck and here's hoping that this is just a false alarm!

3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 16:20:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug bites are pretty obvious to your skin since you've had them before so stay positive that you're not getting bitten now...and post that pic when you can.

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 17:46:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I tend to agree with these posters. Bed bugs look like bed bugs. You are doing the right thing--observing carefully and calling in an expert. But I think your observation skills are sharp enough (expecially since you've had some experience) to discern if it is a bed bug. So until you hear otherwise, trust what your eyes are telling you and wait for confirmation.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 17:58:24
    #

Login to Send PM

As suggested, post pics of suspected fecal stains and bug larvae. Unless PCO has told you otherwise, I'd hold off on anything else including isolating bed. LOTS of false alarms with bed bugs. Hopefully, this is another one.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,396 posts in 50,186 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123