Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Resources

Other Forums

(21 posts)
  1. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 6 2015 18:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know of any other active bed bug forums? I noticed that this forum is mostly for people who are in pain or who want something identified, etc., however, I am more interested in having political/business/philosophical discussions about bed bugs which most people here don't seem to be interested in or that are met with derision.

2. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 6 2015 18:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 7 2015 0:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Serious_National_Problem - 6 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone know of any other active bed bug forums? I noticed that this forum is mostly for people who are in pain or who want something identified, etc., however, I am more interested in having political/business/philosophical discussions about bed bugs which most people here don't seem to be interested in or that are met with derision.

Not aware of any active bed bug forums.

There are two issues here: 1. Are people here interested in other aspects of bed bugs besides having things identified, getting support, etc.?

Absolutely. Do you realize members of this website (including myself) were the people who started New York vs. Bed Bugs, a now inactive group (with a now inactive blog but which is still very available and worthy of reading) which helped NYC get a Bed Bug Advisory Board, which itself met and devised plans which changed how the city deals with bed bugs and educates people about them?

Far more could be done in NYC. And though some other helpful things have happened in other places, more could be done elsewhere also.

Still, there's been plenty of activism and interest in the big picture coming from this website. And I mention just one example of local activism, but there have been many discussions of the big picture here also.

The other issue: 2. People did not seem interested in/did not seem to agree with my prior posts on this topic.

That may be the case, but if so, don't confuse it with a lack of interest in the politics/business/big picture of bed bugs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 7 2015 5:58:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 5 hours ago  » 

Serious_National_Problem - 6 hours ago  » 

Not aware of any active bed bug forums.
    There are two issues here: 1. Are people here interested in other aspects of bed bugs besides having things identified, getting support, etc.?

Absolutely. Do you realize members of this website (including myself) were the people who started New York vs. Bed Bugs, a now inactive group (with a now inactive blog but which is still very available and worthy of reading) which helped NYC get a Bed Bug Advisory Board, which itself met and devised plans which changed how the city deals with bed bugs and educates people about them?
    Far more could be done in NYC. And though some other helpful things have happened in other places, more could be done elsewhere also.
    Still, there's been plenty of activism and interest in the big picture coming from this website. And I mention just one example of local activism, but there have been many discussions of the big picture here also.
    The other issue: 2. People did not seem interested in/did not seem to agree with my prior posts on this topic.
    That may be the case, but if so, don't confuse it with a lack of interest in the politics/business/big picture of bed bugs.

So cool to hear. Also, Nobugs, did you get the email that I sent to you?

And one more thing. I accidentally stumbled on this:

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/bedbug-tips-tricks-online-forums/

and thought that it was interesting(and funny, very funny) in relation to the discussion that we are having in this thread.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 7 2015 8:41:40
    #

Login to Send PM

<blockqaving in this thread.

I think it's because bedbug research is still in its infancy and there are multiple methodologies being promoted by different companies and manufacturers. In high risk locations, weekly inspections should be required by property managers.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 7 2015 9:09:54
    #

Login to Send PM

SNP

:Does anyone know of any other active bed bug forums? I noticed that this forum is mostly for people who are in pain or who want something identified, etc., however, I am more interested in having political/business/philosophical discussions about bed bugs which most people here don't seem to be interested in or that are met with derision.

I think I know where you're coming from after a quick glance at some of your threads. So, yes, the average poster is in "pain" or looking for an ID, but we also have some real heavy hitters in the bed bug industry here, and some do not suffer fools gladly.

So, try and do a little homework when opening up thoughts for discussion, and be prepared for some real experts to shoot down some of your ideas. That said, don't let yourself be intimidated, say your peace, listen to what others have to say, come back and challenge them if you have good information, don't take it personally, and hopefully learn something. And keep in mind the experts aren't always right here, except for maybe "Lou" when he ID's a bug

Richard

7. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 7 2015 14:49:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 5 hours ago  » 
    SNP

:Does anyone know of any other active bed bug forums? I noticed that this forum is mostly for people who are in pain or who want something identified, etc., however, I am more interested in having political/business/philosophical discussions about bed bugs which most people here don't seem to be interested in or that are met with derision.

I think I know where you're coming from after a quick glance at some of your threads. So, yes, the average poster is in "pain" or looking for an ID, but we also have some real heavy hitters in the bed bug industry here, and some do not suffer fools gladly.
    So, try and do a little homework when opening up thoughts for discussion, and be prepared for some real experts to shoot down some of your ideas. That said, don't let yourself be intimidated, say your peace, listen to what others have to say, come back and challenge them if you have good information, don't take it personally, and hopefully learn something. And keep in mind the experts aren't always right here, except for maybe "Lou" when he ID's a bug
    Richard

Point taken, Richard. Also, I will admit that when I posted back on July 4th, I actually wasn't ready to start posting, but wanted to post on that day because it was the 4th. Also, I had originally wanted my screen name to be God_Bless_America, but decided against that at the last minute.

Also, I think that some people may have taken what I said about money being made off of this crisis the wrong way where apparently some people thought that I meant individual websites such as this one that provides needed anti-bed-bug stuff to fight bed bugs. However, I was talking about corporate America where I still believe that somehow corporate America is allowing this nightmare to continue on so that they can rake in tons of dough.

I mean, with all of the things that they can do with genetics:

http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/longevity/immortality-gene.php?iris=377722&ad=b1-hsjeyle-tlmr

you would think that TPTB would come up with a solution for an insect whose brain size is the size of a speck, and which wreaks havoc on the lives of human beings.

8. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 7 2015 16:29:30
    #

Login to Send PM

SNP:

Also, I think that some people may have taken what I said about money being made...However, I was talking about corporate America where I still believe that somehow corporate America is allowing this nightmare to continue on so that they can rake in tons of dough...you would think that TPTB would come up with a solution for an insect whose brain size is the size of a speck, and which wreaks havoc on the lives of human beings.

What "Powers That Be" are you talking about? This isn't Ebola or Cancer and not a government priority at the moment. Should it be? Write or call congress, but the reality is it's not.

As to the theory that corporate America is somehow in collusion on this, in most cases this is not how capitalism works.

Yes, corporate collusion exists on some level, for example cases of price fixing, etc., but new ideas, products and inventions are coming out all the time to the detriment of existing industries. Remember the thriving beeper business? Or Blockbuster Video?

So, yes, if someone came out tomorrow with a new and better mousetrap for bed bugs, many in that industry might take a financial hit, but that's certainly not going to stop the entrepreneur with a better idea from bringing that idea to market to make a lot of money.

It's just, so far, no one has really has hit the prize, and that's too bad for all of us, because I agree that right now bed bug technology seems kind of in the dark ages considering we've got remote controlled stuff crawling around Mars.

Richard

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 7 2015 20:19:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Serious_National_Problem - 14 hours ago  » 

So cool to hear. Also, Nobugs, did you get the email that I sent to you?

Sorry-- I have searched for an email using the address in your Bedbugger profile. Don't see anything. If you sent from another email, please resend. You can reach me at nobugs [at] bedbugger.com.

and thought that it was interesting(and funny, very funny) in relation to the discussion that we are having in this thread.

How so?

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 7 2015 20:24:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 wrote,

What "Powers That Be" are you talking about? This isn't Ebola or Cancer and not a government priority at the moment. Should it be? Write or call congress, but the reality is it's not.

As to the theory that corporate America is somehow in collusion on this, in most cases this is not how capitalism works.

Yes, corporate collusion exists on some level, for example cases of price fixing, etc., but new ideas, products and inventions are coming out all the time to the detriment of existing industries. Remember the thriving beeper business? Or Blockbuster Video?

So, yes, if someone came out tomorrow with a new and better mousetrap for bed bugs, many in that industry might take a financial hit, but that's certainly not going to stop the entrepreneur with a better idea from bringing that idea to market to make a lot of money.

I don't normally quote this much but I have to say I agree.

The idea that this is some sort of conspiracy isn't helpful.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2015 11:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Serious_,
    Please check your email as I replied to two of them yesterday, though I am not sure if you're getting them. Thanks!

12. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 12:39:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Serious_National_Problem - 14 hours ago »
    So cool to hear. [8)] Also, Nobugs, did you get the email that I sent to you?

Sorry-- I have searched for an email using the address in your Bedbugger profile. Don't see anything. If you sent from another email, please resend. You can reach me at nobugs [at] bedbugger.com.

and thought that it was interesting(and funny, very funny) in relation to the discussion that we are having in this thread. [:-)

How so?

Hi, Nobugs. [:-)]
    So you don't see the humor in this article? Such as in the third paragraph when it says:

I accidentally stumbled on this:
    DDT, it was interesting(and funny, very funny) in relation to the discussion that we are having rise in this thread.

And I thought international travel, and some foolhardy archeologist reading from an ancient cursed scroll (probably?), the humor was related to your hostel-loving bloodsuckers are back and better than ever in cities across world.

Or the fifth paragraph where it said:

My bedbugs found me while making out in a movie theater during the first 20 minutes of Lincoln (technically known as 16th base). We hopped in a cab to my place before Tommy Lee Jones’s wig started talking.

Or the sixth paragraph that said:

I really wish I’d found Bedbugger.com right away, because my instincts about how to address the situation were dead wrong. I decided the best thing to do was come home from work, keep all the lights off, take a flashlight and a knife, and slash open my mattress in the dark while sobbing. I found nothing. Just to be safe, I sprayed my entire bed with rubbing alcohol. A few days later, I marched into my dermatologist’s office holding aloft a Ziploc bag with a spider in it, traumatizing her for life.

ROFL [:lol:]

Or maybe I just have a warped sense of humor?

13. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 12:49:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, "in relation to the discussion that we are having in this thread," the article gets serious in paragraph 11 where it says:

The site was started in 2006 by an anonymous user named Nobugsonme, who describes herself as “your host, bed bug warrior, writer, [and] website janitor.” She has more than 17,000 posts on the site. The site is not only moderated by a small army of civilian bedbug haters, but also by professional pest-control operators, primarily David Cain, a pest-control operator (PCO) residing in London. Cain has logged nearly 2,150 hours on the site. In addition to running his own pest control business, he manages to respond to at least a dozen posts a day on most days of the week, free of charge. Most of his posts tell people their pictures are of things other than bedbugs, such as carpet beetles, bird mites, alfalfa weevils, lint, mildew, or even “ear cheese.”

14. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 12:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 1 week ago  » 
    <blockqaving in this thread.
    I think it's because bedbug research is still in its infancy and there are multiple methodologies being promoted by different companies and manufacturers. In high risk locations, weekly inspections should be required by property managers.

I think that your right because I had read an article that says were are 50 years behind in research on bed bugs after their temporary disappearance in the 1940's from DDT exposure.

15. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 13:01:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 1 week ago  » 
    SNP

Also, Richard, I wanted to ask you...are you calling me a fool? Because if you are, I would say that is against the Forum Rules on Civility:

Civility

Please do be civil to others. Attacking ideas is okay, attacking people is not. It should be obvious that calling others names is not permitted.

Therefore, you need to really check yourself, dude.

16. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 13:09:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 6 days ago  » 
    SNP:

Also, I think that some people may have taken what I said about money being made...However, I was talking about corporate America where I still believe that somehow corporate America is allowing this nightmare to continue on so that they can rake in tons of dough...you would think that TPTB would come up with a solution for an insect whose brain size is the size of a speck, and which wreaks havoc on the lives of human beings.

It's just, so far, no one has really has hit the prize, and that's too bad for all of us, because I agree that right now bed bug technology seems kind of in the dark ages considering we've got remote controlled stuff crawling around Mars.
    Richard

Well, at least we agree on something. Bed bug technology does seems like it's in the dark ages considering...

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 15:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Dark_Ages - 2 hours ago  » 

So you don't see the humor in this article?

Oh, I thought the things you cited were plenty humorous, and the article is amusing. I liked it, which you'll find out if you read the threads I linked to for you in your other thread on this topic.

However, you said you "thought that it was interesting(and funny, very funny) in relation to the discussion that we are having in this thread."

And that's the part I was hoping for some elucidation about.

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 15:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, "in relation to the discussion that we are having in this thread," the article gets serious in paragraph 11 where it says:

The site was started in 2006 by an anonymous user named Nobugsonme, who describes herself as “your host, bed bug warrior, writer, [and] website janitor.” She has more than 17,000 posts on the site. The site is not only moderated by a small army of civilian bedbug haters, but also by professional pest-control operators, primarily David Cain, a pest-control operator (PCO) residing in London. Cain has logged nearly 2,150 hours on the site. In addition to running his own pest control business, he manages to respond to at least a dozen posts a day on most days of the week, free of charge. Most of his posts tell people their pictures are of things other than bedbugs, such as carpet beetles, bird mites, alfalfa weevils, lint, mildew, or even “ear cheese.”

And again, that doesn't really reflect on this site as a whole, who the other users are and what they care about.

That said, I can affirm that David is plenty interested in the larger picture re: bed bugs and their causes and effects and how to fight them.

Yes, most people who post here want bugs identified.

That's hardly where the conversations begin and end, but you haven't been around here very long and haven't read everything, and the author of that article probably wasn't either. (That's not a put-down, by the way.)

19. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 15 2015 1:45:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 10 hours ago  » 

So you don't see the humor in this article?

Oh, I thought the things you cited were plenty humorous, and the article is amusing. I liked it, which you'll find out if you read the threads I linked to for you in your other thread on this topic.
    However, you said you "thought that it was interesting(and funny, very funny) in relation to the discussion that we are having in this thread."
    And that's the part I was hoping for some elucidation about.

Jeez... I'm not really sure why you are misunderstanding what I am saying, but think of what I said like this: thought that it was interesting in relation to the discussion that we are having in this thread(and not in a negative way, but it was related). Also, I thought that the article was funny, very funny.

But I hope that's clearer now because I really don't want to spend anymore time trying to explain this to you.

20. Dark_Ages

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 15 2015 1:47:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 10 hours ago  » 

And again, that doesn't really reflect on this site as a whole, who the other users are and what they care about.
    That said, I can affirm that David is plenty interested in the larger picture re: bed bugs and their causes and effects and how to fight them.
    Yes, most people who post here want bugs identified.
    That's hardly where the conversations begin and end, but you haven't been around here very long and haven't read everything, and the author of that article probably wasn't either. (That's not a put-down, by the way.)

Your taking what I said the wrong way again.

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 15 2015 2:01:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Dark_Ages, name-calling isn't tolerated.

Your response to BigDummy has been deleted as well as his post.

If you have a problem with someone else's posts, you can flag them for moderation, rather than attack them back. If you don't like the way the forum is moderated, as your deleted post suggested, you can find another forum.

Thread closed.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111