Tackle money worries [off-topic]

(21 posts)
  1. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 14:26:34
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are worried about your finances, see if this article from Golden Girl Finance could help you.

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  2. bedbugsarethedevil123

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 16:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Good stuff, not just for financial worries but any worries. I do find myself clenching my teeth and waking up with jaw pain in the morning due to multiple stresses.

Thanks for sharing!

3. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 4:02:06
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, BBaretheD.

You, too, eh (with the jaw)?! I usually would feel it when my head hits the pillow. I wonder if ice-cream would help. No chewing. What do you think?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 8:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 4 hours ago  » 
    ice-cream would help. No chewing. What do you think?

Only if you place it in a glass and wait for it to go soft enough to suck it up through a straw like milkshake.

David

5. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 16:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

lol What are you talking about, David? With regular ice-cream, I think they melt in one's mouth. The thing is that I don't like it when the ice-cream is melted in the glass/bowl. Some people may get a headache if eating cold stuff too fast. Not me since I 'have' to finish them before they melt too much in the bowl. I could enter into the ice-cream Olympic if there's one.

To confirm the no-chewing part, I am having a bowl right now.

6. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 17:25:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I am embarrassed. I did have to chew a little bit (no problem), especially I ate them so fast.

7. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 19:29:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Sigh. Some things they just don't teach you in school. Here are some of the things I have discovered and have been doing to save $:

-I learned that I don't need to apply that much soap and shampoo. However, I have a hard time of cutting down on the lotion.

-There are some snacks that are more filling than others.

-I don't need to have so much power on and all the time.

-I seldom buy new clothes.

-Since I have a basic haircut, I can wait for so many months before getting another one. When I go again, I will have it cut real short.

-During winter up to now, I seldom go out just to have a walk as I will have a lot more laundries than my current level to do.

-I don't have a home phone line.

Please feel free to share your or someone you know's $ saving strategies.

8. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 20:07:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I can't seem to cut down on paper towel. Thought they are more sanitary. I use them a.....................lot, especially in the common laundry room. Nobody cleans the machines and counter. Perhaps, using paper towel is necessary in the common area.

9. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 21:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

-Buy 'No Name' products; other times, brand name ones depending if a good sale's on.

-Some products can be purchased from the Dollar Stores. However, they do add up quickly. Just have to ask myself do I really need this right now.

-Seldom dine out. If out around meal times and did not bring a snack with me, I would usually get something from a fast food place.

-If possible, I will watch for sales before buying stuffs.

10. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Apr 6 2014 21:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

In North America, some of the stores have price match. Some require you to bring in the other stores' flyers to prove. However, stores such as Future Shop, Best Buy and Staples can look up the competitor's pricing online. Sometimes, you have to remind those stores who offer beating their competitor's pricing AND a bit more as they may forget the 'a bit more' part.

One time I was thinking of cancelling my cell phone. Guess what? My cell phone billing company offered me a lower rate monthly plan. So, I asked the rep, does that mean I won't know about the special rate if I don't call in. The reply was "yes". Competitions must be fierce.

See if these articles (US based) may help you:

-Top 10 Ways to Lower Your Financial Stress

-Discounts Are Piled On as Americans Buy Fewer Basics

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Apr 6 2014 22:31:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I would recommend You Need a Budget (YNAB) software for anyone who needs to work on saving money or managing it better.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

It's not free ($60 without a sale) and there's a tiny learning curve (much less than for most financial software), but the makers offer an active user forum and videos which explain everything. It really is a new way of approaching budgeting, and if you're doing it right, it doesn't take much time. You can also try it out for 34 days before you decide if you want to purchase.

It's also free for students (college/university and graduate/postgraduate). Highly recommended!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Apr 6 2014 23:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I may check on the software. I actually teach budgeting sometimes (started after my not for profit work asked). I always laugh and say, those who can't do...teach.

1. I got a list of when the best time to shop is for various items (it may have been Consumer Reports). I follow that. And, I take a list with me when I shop (food, clothes, etc).

2. I'm not much of a shopper or decorator. But, I've found that my friends who are actually have done it much less expensively than me. I did decorate one home. By that, I mean...every room looked finished. And, then I got transferred less than a year later. I'm now minimalist.

3. Usually borrow books from library.

4. I didn't have cable for years. The price per day is insane! Of course, if there are kids and spouses watching, that makes it entertainment (and a value). I did just get the internet/basic cable package for $50 a month.

5. If I'm out shopping for clothese (about 3-4 times a year, with little purchased), if I really love something, I'll have them put it on hold. I think about it overnight and then make the purchase. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I read/watched What Not to Wear (English & American versions before going cableless) and a book by Linda Dano in the late 1990s. I really wear mainly 3 colors and it makes accessorizing very easy. I think I look timeless, but my guess is I need to update my look. I'm kind of into classic clothes..still buy Lands End, LL Bean...you get the drift with a clothing budget of $500 a year (not including swimsuits, winter gear, etc). So, I don't buy much.

6. I've never been a collector: so I never spend a lot of DVDs or CDs. I'd borrow them from the libary and tape back in the day. I have an entertainment budget which is relatively low or else I don't put enough in the retirement account. I've been spending my vacation budget on things for the home the last few years, but it hasn't been high for 20 years. Part of what keeps me somewhat in line is I have to give up something if I do "go over". I had a boss that one time told his wife she couldn't buy any more gifts for family members because that budget was up. Another boss paid off his house in 5 years, but also took his wife to a McDonalds and a $1 movie on the first date. I'm not that extreme but I would have to deduct it from somewhere else.

7. I don't drive much since I'm a commuter. I make a list for the weekend and do all my running around Sat morning to save gas. I can pick up groceries near where I work and I'm not trying to take care of a big family.

That said, I'm not rich or well off, and am middle class. However, I've been very lucky in many respects. Some of my family members really stretch the dollar and that takes a lot of effort and work. I really admire it.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  13. Butterfly1972

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Apr 7 2014 8:41:10
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking & BBATD123,

For the jaw pain..... I have TMJ and use a "rice sock".

Fill a tube type sock (thick cotton works best & loosely packed ~ about 3/4 of the way full) with regular (uncooked) rice, tie off the open end, then microwave in 1 minute increments until heated (but not too hot!!).

My microwave heats it in about 1 min. Heating will depend on your microwave, but most will heat in 1-2 minutes. It works great to ease the aching in the jaw and the rice "forms" to the shape of your jaw easily....if that makes sense. The rice sock can be used over and over again.

You can also add in a few drops of your favorite essential oil to make it an aromatherapy rice sock.

I managed multiple dental offices over the years and the rice sock was often recommended for TMJ pain, but really, it could be used in many ways. You can also put it in the freezer if what you need is a cool compress.

And I LOVE this thread. We can all benefit from financial tips. Price matching + coupons is great!! I have the apps of the stores that I frequent on my iphone. That way I can often pull up a coupon on my phone to use while at that store if I don't already have a better coupon clipped.

14. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2014 15:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, ladies!

Butterfly, the 'rice' sock is an awesome suggestion for do-it-yourself TMJ relief. I will definitely give it a try. Since my tube socks have some colors on them, I may have to get some all white tube socks to go into the microwave. What do you do with the heated 'rice' sock after you use it once?

15. Butterfly1972

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2014 16:32:38
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Butterfly, the 'rice' sock is an awesome suggestion for do-it-yourself TMJ relief. I will definitely give it a try. Since my tube socks have some colors on them, I may have to get some all white tube socks to go into the microwave. What do you do with the heated 'rice' sock after you use it once?

Hi JustChecking,

I store mine in the closet with my heating pad. Since your not actually "cooking" the rice, it will last a long time. My current rice sock is about a year old with no problems. I made this one with one of my husband's extra black socks (the other sock was "eaten" by my clothes dryer :wink:). I haven't had a problem with it being black and being heated in the microwave.

Here is a link with more information about rick socks and how to make them.

http://voices.yahoo.com/create-rice-sock-646451.html

I learned about them from working in the dental field, but when I was pregnant with my first child and attending child birth classes, the rice sock was also recommended for low back discomfort from an expanding preggie belly.

Hope you enjoy the rice sock!!

16. Daylight

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2014 16:55:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thanks for the rice sock tips, Butterfly. I'm going to make one tomorrow after I get some rice. They do work well--I'd forgotten about them. I do need a new heating pad, but I might hold off and see how the rice sock works out.

I don't have any good money saving tips right now--but I think I am saving some $ by not eating out much or going to the movies as regularly as I used to. Also, not driving so much or buying so many clothes helps too. Just the normal ways to save.

Lots so good ideas on here--and this thread can help us stay focused on other things besides bugs!

17. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2014 18:13:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Butterfly!

18. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 11 2014 4:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can't pump out any more lotion (e.g. 600 ml Vaseline) but have a lot left, don't throw it out. In the past, I would throw it out when I couldn't open the lid. I saved it this time. I used a different kind of lotion. When I was done with it, I went back to the 'stuck' bottle of Vaseline. It turned out that I had to squeeze the bottle for a gap to appear at the lid. Then, I pulled the lid out. Aha!

19. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 6 2015 18:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I could try washing my hair without shampoo after reading this article. Wouldn't it be nice to have less static, shinier and healthier hair and save money?

Sigh. How could I with the pesticide pouring down on me 24/7, plus the contaminated pesticide-filled water?

20. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 6 2015 21:07:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It easy to budget money when one has none to start with ,lol

21. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 6 2015 21:12:16
    #

Login to Send PM

One way I save is to save the water bottles I use each day for the coffee pot , my city tap water is horrible & refill them with Ice tea to take to work for that night. It keeps me from buying soda pop at the break room prices of $1.25 each. An pop isn't good for me anyway.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,349 posts in 46,297 topics over 141 months by 20,409 of 21,248 members. Latest: nobugsinmanhattan, newbugpanic, berry1