Login to Send PM

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2015 5:58:35
    #

Login to Send PM

There's no resistance to a louse comb.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2015 6:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou: why can't a mechanical killer be used on lice? Something that breaks down their exoskeletons, in the manner of de, but in a way that's safe for humans?

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  4. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2015 8:11:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a child who loves to share (jackets, hats, barrettes) and has super long hair. I'm sure you all see where this is going...... she has had lice a couple of times and she is violently allergic (hospital trip allergic) to the lice medication. I could never use it. That being said, hot wash and dry of everything soft she touched, a lice comb, and a small bit of olive oil (to make combing easier and smoother, it pulls less on the hair that way) were all I ever needed. Never had to treat twice. Being ridiculously thorough and patient (it took around 2 hours to do her head) are keys to this. I feel there is an unnecessary amount of chemical options programmed into our brains for use against nature and other things. I'm not a crazy hippy, I just don't use chemicals unless I need to. Lol. Like against BBs!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2015 8:20:43
    #

Login to Send PM

We used to use cheap hair conditioner on dry hair, and a metal nit comb. You have to do this every other day for two weeks but it works, is cheap and is better than chemicals on kids' heads.

6. skylarmarie

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2015 10:14:18
    #

Login to Send PM

ozbugz - 1 hour ago  » 
    We used to use cheap hair conditioner on dry hair, and a metal nit comb. You have to do this every other day for two weeks but it works, is cheap and is better than chemicals on kids' heads.

We do the same thing. I started using the terminator comb a couple years ago when the kids kept catching it (from a niece), I ended up buying her one and sending it home with her after cleaning out her hair too. Takes a while, you get the joy of going inch by inch through the hair but works great as long as you do the cleaning to go with it.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2015 14:33:39
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a cottage industry in the NYC/Westchester/Long Island area of people who do nit-picking as a profession. I wonder if this is happening elsewhere. I am sure it's not cheap but they will sit there and remove every nit from the entire family's heads for parents who can't or won't do it.

The best (but also perhaps rarest) PMPs seem to be applying the same idea as much as they can to bed bugs in a home-- find and kill all they can-- before and while also applying residuals/mechanical killers. It's hard work to use a "seek and destroy" approach and costs money (or elbow grease if you DIY) but it works.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,443 posts in 46,329 topics over 141 months by 20,416 of 21,255 members. Latest: nu2bedbugs87, ndjur, Krazybugger