Open Letter to David, Paul and KillerQueen (John) [links OT and NSFW]

(35 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 19 2013 2:55:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I've considered talking with you each individually, as I have done at various points in the past, but given the amount of discussion on the following issues the last few days on the forums (from yourselves and from consumer forum users) and the amount of emails and PMs I'm seeing about these issues, I think it's safe to say we need some kind of site-wide discussion.

I hope you will take this post in the spirit in which it's intended. You've all done a lot for the users of the forum and I have valued your presence enormously, and still do. That said, we need to find a way through the current morass.

First, let's take a step back: why are we here?

Here's what helps forum users:

• Sharing your expertise about what works for you.
    • Identifying photos.
    • Offering suggestions.
    • Discussing research.
    • Discussing why you take the approach professionally that you do, including tools and methods.

It helps when all the experts here do these things. Sometimes you also do other things like tell us about your day, your invention, your extracurriculars, or your latest jokes. That's okay too, as long as it's all civil and off-topic stuff is clearly marked. It sometimes makes it more fun for people who are spending time here. If you don't want to do those things, that's okay too.

Here's what does not help:

• For want of a better term, pissing contests.
    • Threatening to leave (privately or on the forums) or leaving. We've had experts choose to leave publicly and each of these has been a disappointment to me and to consumers on the forums.
    • Attacking other pros directly or indirectly, on a personal level, on or off the forums.
    • Suggesting that other pros' professional methods are being employed for some other reason than that they truly believe they're the most effective and best approach. (This doesn't mean you can't say why you think your approach works best. But there's a line between that and an attack on others, and I think we've all seen that line being crossed, repeatedly.)
    • Suggesting other experts don't have consumers' best interests at heart, or are part of some grand conspiracy. Seriously? Do any of you really think that about either of the others?
    • Turning every discussion on every topic (it seems) into part of the same large argument that can't be won.

To quote myself from this post today:

I hope that everyone will give it a rest...

You don't all need to link arms and dance around a Maypole, but put the rocks down.

I don't have a horse in the race in terms of whose methods or approaches are best, and I do have enormous respect for all three of you, but I really don't think the current bickering is helping anyone.

I'm trying to keep the forums a helpful resource for the people who need it. I welcome suggestions on how to do that. However, you have to admit that bickering and sniping and getting mad and going away are not helping.

On the one hand, you are each providing a valuable and essential service here:

• I have had emails from forum users in the past telling me how helpful each of the three of you have been to them.
    • We have all seen similar grateful posts about each of you on the forums.
    • On the other hand, you all seem to be contributing to the bad mojo:

• I have also had complaints from consumer forum users about each of you sniping at others and bickering with one another.
    • I've had complaints from each of you about at least one of the others.

I want to be clear that you are all valued and welcomed here. However, everyone needs to chill out and work together. Agree to disagree. Stop pointing at the other guy like he's the only problem. Don't try to get in the last word.

This is my website, so it's like you're in my home. You are all invited in and I really, really hope you'll stay, but you have to be civil and pleasant. I consider you all people I respect, so please, have the same respect for each other, and the other users of the forum.

Some ideas:

• Maybe the rules to "be civil" aren't enough. Maybe we need rules about being honest and listening and agreeing to disagree.
    • Maybe there's a way to create some sort of master chart showing where you all agree and disagree. I would venture there are a lot of points of agreement.
    • Perhaps a dedicated thread [like the "Official k9" thread] would be a way of corralling this endless discussion on best practices into one space rather than derailing threads about every topic which comes up?
    • On the other hand, single threads about discrete points of disagreement would be more practical and easier to find than an "official" mega-thread. What is a problem is not trying to keep these discussions together, and instead letting them take over nearly every discussion.
    • A lot of the argument seems to be about different approaches. The bottom line is, if you really care about consumers getting the best information, it should be okay say "he uses this product and I don't and here's why" (then stating the facts). But if someone says that about a tool you helped create, develop or invent, or one you otherwise swear by, we need to find a way for that to be okay for you. Because there's just no way you're going to end up all in agreement. And the current climate is not sustainable.

Responses to this are welcome. But please, please, respond in the same spirit of this post. We all want this to be a nice place again, don't we? Specifically naming things you've seen and are upset by is okay. Ad hominem attacks (personal attacks) aren't.

All three of you experts have big egos, I don't think you'll be offended by or disagree with my saying that. You all have enormous confidence and it's part of why you are good at your jobs. However, take a step back and consider the bigger picture.

If you want to follow this discussion as it unfolds, as I hope you will, please click the subscribe link at top to get email updates. I will be moving it to the green stickies shortly and I know some of you don't check those.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 19 2013 8:14:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been on this site for a while. The indepth, open discussions help.

Your time is appreciated.

I've quit joking around, partly due to the increase in traffic. It is also because I've been offended by some comments and figured someone probably feels the same about mine.

Nobugs comments should also apply to PMs. I've been asked before to post my support of an experts post on a thread, to bump it up. This was a long time ago and I won't state if it was any of you. If memory serves, it was related to nonexperts posts. I quit doing it.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 19 2013 8:20:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Nobugs,

Thanks for your post above and points raised therein.

My intentions in participating on this site are simple, to provide viable assistance to people in need while maintaining my role as an industry steward.

Despite how recent posts may be perceived, the intention was to provide clarification and rebuttal on certain points raised where needed.

No one, myself included, who posts on an open forum should have the ability to post what ever information/comments he or see sees fit when others may rely upon the information/comments posted for subsequent related decisions without adequate rebuttal.

Allowing this to occur, would be akin to a trial court judge permitting only one side of the case to have expert witness testimony. Imagine how that would go?

For example:
    In the Mathias v Accor bed bug case, the Mathias siblings suffered hundreds of bed bug bites as a result of one night's stay and were awarded approximated $400 K in damages. Of course, both the plaintiffs (Mathias) and the defendants (Accor) used expert testimony to support their side of the case. And, I'm sure we can all imagine that such expert witnesses were utilized to present information which supported that party's position in the case.

Now, let's imagine if the judge ruled that either one of the parties in the case could NOT use their chosen experts testimony as follows. In this example we will assume that ONLY Accor could have an expert and in his/her trial testimony stated:

"Yes, I've reviewed the medical records and bites photos. In my opinion these bites were caused by fire ants when the plaintiffs were on a camping trip the week before they stayed at this hotel."

If the other side (plaintiff) had no expert testimony to adequately rebut this assertion then this testimony, which becomes evidence upon which the case is decided, is what the court and jury will use in their decision process.

I'm sure we can all see how the above would bastardize the process such that fair and reasonable decisions would not result in such cases.

Here, on the BBRF (Bed Bugger Forum), we have a number of experienced professionals who participate. And, we have seen the differing of opinions expressed.

Firstly, I apologize to anyone who needs help here that may become confused, unhappy or does not enjoy seeing the back and forth banter and arguing about certain points.

However, what should we experienced pros do:

> When we read posted information with which we do not agree?

> When we think that such information is not entirely true and/or partially false?

> When we think that reliance upon such information may be harmful to unknown parties who may subsequently rely upon it?

It is NOT my purpose here to re-post my comments on such information.

However, as a licensed and experienced pest professional since 1976, I am not trying to be arrogant or win arguments:

> My intention is to present accurate and viable information to those in need.

> I am 100% confident in my positions on pest management topicality based upon my education and many years of extensive industry experience.

> My printed word is provided such that it may stand on its own merit.

> My resume, articles, publications and other industry related information has been a matter of public record for many years now such that anyone can review to see if my credentials warrant any level of credibility.

Clearly, experts are not going to agree 100% of the time on 100% of the issues.

However, on the BBRF I'm happy to let the "court of public opinion" decide for themselves which information is credible, logical and reasonable and which isn't.

Thanks for having the foresight to create this public forum. I'm sorry for this situation but it is what it is.

Have a great bug free day ! paul b.

4. needrest

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 19 2013 9:13:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Personally I find the back and forth banter very informative. It,s like reading a debate on a subject that I,ve found to be very interesting. I learn things from both parties. I also understand that it may bother some people. It just doesn,t bother me in the least. I do want to thank the pros here for all the help and support you offer.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 19 2013 10:35:23
    #

Login to Send PM

needrest says,

Personally I find the back and forth banter very informative.

I want to be really, really clear that I am not talking about "back and forth banter". That is welcome and would fall under the following category outlined in my post above, specifically the bolded parts:

Here's what helps forum users:
    Sharing your expertise about what works for you.
    Identifying photos.
    Offering suggestions.
    Discussing research.
    Discussing why you take the approach professionally that you do, including tools and methods.

Paul asks,

However, what should we experienced pros do:

> When we read posted information with which we do not agree?

> When we think that such information is not entirely true and/or partially false?

> When we think that reliance upon such information may be harmful to unknown parties who may subsequently rely upon it?

Paul,

I think I've made it clear that I find it important that you express what works for you and doesn't, and why you think certain approaches should or should not be used.

The problem comes when it goes beyond that. As I said,

Here's what does not help:

• For want of a better term, pissing contests.
    • Threatening to leave (privately or on the forums) or leaving. We've had experts choose to leave publicly and each of these has been a disappointment to me and to consumers on the forums.
    • Attacking other pros directly or indirectly, on a personal level, on or off the forums.
    • Suggesting that other pros' professional methods are being employed for some other reason than that they truly believe they're the most effective and best approach. (This doesn't mean you can't say why you think your approach works best. But there's a line between that and an attack on others, and I think we've all seen that line being crossed, repeatedly.)
    • Suggesting other experts don't have consumers' best interests at heart, or are part of some grand conspiracy. Seriously? Do any of you really think that about either of the others?
    • Turning every discussion on every topic (it seems) into part of the same large argument that can't be won.

If the same issues are coming up again and again, then as I suggested, maybe we need dedicated threads for discussing those topics.

However, I think you'd agree it's not helpful to users to rehash the same discussions again and again. It's not a good use of your time to have to respond to the same points over and over in multiple discussion threads. So if we could corral these discussions somehow, maybe it would help everyone.

Again, I am not suggesting you have to agree. I am suggesting everyone has to stay professional, avoid personal attacks, and that we need to find a way to discuss the issues which matter to you all without derailing discussion threads. Ultimately, if we can find a way to do this, it helps forum users get the best information.

On another note, I am now getting personal messages, texts and emails responding to this thread, which was not my intention. I understand people want to avoid confrontation, however, it may be better to try and politely and civilly air grievances rather than sending them to me or others privately. So maybe we can start there?

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 19 2013 11:13:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Disclaimer: The below is – of course – my opinion only and I hope in no way offends anyone . . .

Dear Experts:

I adore you all! (Yes even you John Furman!) I have said it before and I will take this opportunity to say it again . . . I am amazed and astounded by the time each of you takes to help the people on this forum!! I am in awe of the knowledge, dedication and skill regarding bed bugs each of you possess! I have openly - and in PMs - told posters how wonderful each one of you is! I have quoted information to posters which was gleaned from each of you! I have recommended each of you to different posters! I am simply amazed by each of you!

With that being said . . .

I get it that you all disagree on certain issues. I get it that there are things that go on "behind the curtain" that we forum readers are not privy to. However . . . surely each of you can admit that you ALL know what you are doing and are successful in eradicating bed bugs for your clients.

I get it that you all are always going to disagree on certain issues. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with stating that you disagree with one another! (Like needrests says, the debate part is informative.) However (again IMO only): State that you disagree! State the reason(s) why! State your point of view and facts! Let your facts speak for themselves!

The personal attacks and snide remarks are what upset me. The reason they upset me is I believe they confuse and hurt the people who are seeking the information they need. Please . . . simply make your points and let the individual decide what they think will work best for them! Please stop the personal attacks. (Pretty please!)

I truly adore and am in awe of each of you!! ♥

xoxoxoxo

needrest - 1 hour ago  » 
    Personally I find the back and forth banter very informative. It,s like reading a debate on a subject that I,ve found to be very interesting. I learn things from both parties. I also understand that it may bother some people. It just doesn,t bother me in the least. I do want to thank the pros here for all the help and support you offer.

Yes the debate is wonderful!!! It is great to hear both sides to an issue! As stated above, in my opinion, it’s the personal attacks, etc, that are not wonderful and are harmful to the forum.

Nobugsonme - 8 hours ago »
    [*]Maybe there's a way to create some sort of master chart showing where you all agree and disagree. I would venture there are a lot of points of agreement.

That's funny you should mention that! I had the very same thought and actually starting "drafting" a document in my head regarding the various issues and showing where each expert stands on the issue!

theyareoutthere - 2 hours ago  » 
    I've quit joking around, partly due to the increase in traffic. It is also because I've been offended by some comments and figured someone probably feels the same about mine.

Dear TAOT, while I can't say you have never offended me . . . you usually make me laugh! Just kidding . . .You always crack me up!

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 19 2013 12:23:17
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 1 hour ago  » 

theyareoutthere - 2 hours ago  » 

Dear TAOT, while I can't say you have never offended me . . . you usually make me laugh! Just kidding . . .You always crack me up!

There's only room for one of us on this forum, Abs.

Thanks for your very eloquent statement above.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 6 2014 18:55:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I was hoping we would not need to revisit this thread.

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 6 2014 20:43:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear NBs,

Actually, I think my recent posts have been courteous and civil.

There have been two recent threads upon which comments with which I disagree have been posted to which I've responded.

If this is not so, please point out where I've responded in an uncivil fashion.

Thanks for hosting the BBRF !

pjb

10. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 9:26:46
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT - please don't stop joking! When I was at the height of my anxiety during my infestation there were many times that the threads that were funny were the ones that got me thought the day. You and most of the old timers have great senses of humor, and I would hate to see that supressed.

Abs - you are right on the money. I don't mind the debates, rather the personal attacks. It's similar to watching your parents fight. You don't have any favorites among them, so it breaks your heart to see them fighting.

Experts - you are greatly valued and appreciated. Please don't break my little ole heart by fighting, or worse, leaving!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 10:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul,
    My comments were in response to posts yesterday on this thread:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/is-this-an-acceptable-bed-frame

Things are looking a bit more cheerful there today.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 11:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

speaking of pissing contests....

This post is along these lines (sort of)....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/02/man-with-two-penises-reddit-ama_n_4531433.html

I hope this doesn't start a war of words. Of course, diphallia is not very much not like a bed bug paramere and aedeagus where one set is modified from the usual 2 parameres to one. And parameres are accessory structures anyway.
    We'll leave it up to Nobugs if the discussion should be held elsewhere. Please don't upload any personal pictures for comparison.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  13. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 11:16:25
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG Lou !

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 12:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You are the King, Lou. A national treasure.

15. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 12:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm afraid to open that link at work...

Lou is like the Switzerland of entomologists/experts. And, if I may point it out nicely, he is a New Yorker! New York houses the U.N., so there are some diplomatic folks out there (I'm not one of them, but am proud of New Yorkers who are polite like Nobugs and Lou).

P.S. I was joking about the link, but thanks for the update below NoBugs. Also, can we have some sort of way to put a link to Lou's post anytime we think there is a p---ssing match going on

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 12:40:25
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT,

The link has no images itself but itself links to one. I deemed it NSFW because one word in the link is prominent in the article title and so NSFW.

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 15:28:46
    #

Login to Send PM

As nobugs noted, the link to huffington post works- that's the story, but there is another link to pictures (imgur site).

18. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 17:00:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I am scare to see the acronym DDD now. Yikes!

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 17:17:31
    #

Login to Send PM

"Of course, diphallia is not very much not like a bed bug paramere and aedeagus where one set is modified from the usual 2 parameres to one. "

I typed too quickly, the sentence has too many 'nots'. It should be as below:

Of course, diphallia is not very much like a bed bug paramere and aedeagus where one set is modified from the usual 2 parameres to one.

Maybe nobugs can fix it in some way.

20. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 18:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, since we've digressed on this thread thanks to our friend Lou, it's always the quite ones you need to watch out for, I'm going to share this little known "true story" for your reading and entomological entertainment. Please note that it happened many years ago so some of the actual details may be a tad fuzzy to me now but, solely for your benefit, I'll do the best I can here. And I promise, some of this is actually true !

As I recall it was the summer of 1993. I had been working in pest management for over sixteen years by then and serving as a technical director for a well established and respected pest management firm in the metro NY area. At that time I was offered a position to join Industrial Chemical Industries (aka ICI) which was one of the largest global basic manufacturers of pesticide and pharmaceutical products. Soon after the life science portion of the company separated from the paints & industrial chemical divisions to form a new company named Zeneca.

During this personal transitional time frame the opportunity arose to work on a pest problem at a military base in the VA/Washington DC area. And, since I possessed a government clearance to enter such locations the arrangements were made in short order. Within 24 hours I was on base with an MP escort.

There had been an ongoing rodent issue which ranking officials decided required the assistance of a qualified pest management expert. And, since none were to be found, they settled on me. As you may know, rodents are mostly active at night which is why I scheduled the inspection of the facilities in question after dark. I met my escort MPs at 2100 hours at the security gate where we went through a brief but necessary security credentials check and loaded up my thermal and night vision equipment. Then, off we went.

One kewell thing about working with MP escort is that access to necessary areas and other obstacle hassles are never a problem. And, this is especially so when you happen to be working under direct order of the base CO (commanding officer). Surely, a slob such as me is afforded way too much respect under such circumstances. In my observation, I was pretty much treated as a military officer and it didn't hurt having two armed Staff Sargent MPs as escorts either. I did think the chrome helmets were a bit much for this work however.

Did I saw armed? One had just a side arm while the other had a side arm as well as an M-16 ( I think). These were serious, intimidating scary dudes mind you. So, here we are in this military jeep type vehicle riding around the base as well as the domiciliaries which are off base residential housing for officers and senior NCOs (non-commissioned officers such as chief & master sergeants, etc.).

After a while the ice had been broken and we enjoyed some good conversation. It was interesting that these two were asking so many questions about my work and what I did as an entomologist/pest management type guy. They wanted to know about bed bugs, mosquitoes, diseases and all the nasty stuff I get to see. They really liked seeing all the rats with the infrared (those interested may wish to watch such IR video available on my website). And, that's when it happened, that's when the APB (all points bulletin) came across the radio and these guys instantly kicked into "MP Mode". At that time we were in the domiciliary/civilian housing area immediately adjacent to the base. The staff sergeant replied to the radio, hit the lights, the siren and the gas simultaneously, looked at me and said, "hold on". He didn't need to say that, trust me.

After about two turns we were in a car chase in close pursuit of what I gather was the suspect's vehicle and there were at least four MP and local police vehicles behind us careening through the streets after midnight at high speed. Trash cans were hit, cars cut corners across lawns it was like being in an episode of "Cops" only for real. Seated in the front passenger's seat afforded a ringside seat as we gained on the car ahead.

Over the radio the Sergeant was ordered to implement the "__?__ maneuver" thing, sorry but I forget what it was called but it's that one where they use the front of our car to bump the back side of the perp's car to force it to spin out of control. This was disconcerting for sure because I only had a lap belt and no chrome helmet either. However, the car we were chasing was a Chevrolet Camaro RS which was way too fast for our jeep and each time we got close, the perp simply hit the gas.

Along the way we soon learned who the suspect was and why we were in chase. It turned out, and all of you will likely know or have heard of this news story, that we were possibly chasing a woman named Lorena Bobbit. Those familiar with the story know that she was married to an abusive husband and she endured many episodes of spousal abuse which was all learned in trial many months after this incident.

Now, picture this, here I am, an entomologist riding shotgun in a Military Police vehicle in pursuit of an "unknown perpetrator" with two serious armed dudes. Now, I promise you that none of you will ever read the details I am about to share in any published news account of these events.

So when it was apparent that our jeep was not fast enough to execute that maneuver thing, the Master Sergeant in the back stands and rests his weapon over the roll & light bar from his position at the rear of the jeep as they decided on the next course of action. You see, their protocol called for using a weapon to shoot the front tires thus disabling the steering and driving ability of the perp's vehicle thus ending the chase and facilitating a capture. Sounds good in theory right?

OK, so now these guys are super serious just like in the movies. The guy in the back is yelling the driver to get him into proper position such that he has a suitable angle from which to shoot the front driver's side tire of the Camaro. I can tell you that this would have all been really great if I were watching it on the big screen but being front and center in close proximity to muzzle flashes and flying lead is a bit too real for me.

He fired three successive shots which all missed due to the bumps in the road and the twisting and turning. Now I'm not sure if the driver's side window of the Camaro actually opened or was blown out inadvertently by the forth shot but the window was suddenly gone and we could see that in fact the driver was a woman.

Two more shots rang out striking the left front fender and the wheel/hub which caused some cool looking sparks, I remember thinking wow, just like in the movies. At that point in time the woman through something out the window, hit the gas of her Camaro Rally Sport and out distanced us in just seconds. Seeing this I immediately thought that what was thrown from the window was probably a gun or a bag of drugs or something at that time, remember we really didn't know what was going on for sure or at least didn't cause the radio messages were in police/MP type code numbers.

OK, so we see this object fly from the Camaro window and we don't know what it is until it hits our windshield and we see it. I know some of you familiar with this story already know what it was.

So, I see it there stuck to our windshield and it's clear to us all what it is. At that moment I turn to the driver and say; Man, I'm not sure what kind of mosquitoes you guys have around here but judging from the size of their XXXX you better not let any of them bite you !

Happy New Year to all !

And thanks to Lou's post for providing the inspiration for this story, I hope you enjoyed it ! pjb

21. Canuck

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 18:49:12
    #

Login to Send PM

The things I learn on bedbugger is TOTALLY AMAZING.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  22. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 19:25:13
    #

Login to Send PM

You, sir, know how to tell a story.
    Wow…

23. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 21:17:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks much Bee-Dee !

pjb

24. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 11:07:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your first hand account story. You used good transitions throughout, many details and descriptive words, plenty of action, and a bang up ending. You aced the writing test! Yes, I miss my days of reading essays. I had 140 students to prepare for the writing test in my early days of teaching--loved it. This was a reprieve from my current drudgery of fighting the elusive vampire.

I remember when this happened--we were all shocked. My husband reminded me that it was later reattached to its rightful owner.

25. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 11:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, and across the country kitchen knives went missing for months to the bewilderment of millions of wives.

I for one, answered that the must have been taken by aliens but, that's just me.

Thanks much ! paul b.

26. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 11:33:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 day ago  » 
    I am thinking of making a side-by-side matrix

Ahem. . . speaking of a side-by-side matrix . . .

P Bello - 17 hours ago  » 
    And I promise, some of this is actually true !

. . . could we maybe get one of those above-mentioned side-by-sides documenting the actual "true" facts in the above entertaining/expertly told "true" story?

Ummmm . . . maybe the one about it was the Summer of 1993?!

27. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 11:47:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Paul,
    A nice narrative to maintain everyone's attention, but, as usual, we get off the actual subject very easily. I must admit, however, that your story was a cut above mine.
    Your story reminds me of a book: That Gunk on Your Car: A Unique Guide to the Insects of North America by Mark Hostetler. That Gunk on Your Car is a seriously funny book filled with fascinating information about common insects, especially the ones you are most likely to find splattered on your windshield. Chapters are organized around the individual insects--ants, mosquitoes, grasshoppers, butterflies, crickets, midges--and include information on the natural history and life cycles of each and fun things you can do with the insects. That Gunk on Your Car would be an excellent parent/child participatory book: the lively text is easy to read and scientifically accurate.
    A review: Scientifically sound and charmingly written, this guide to the bugs on your windshield is an unexpected delight. Includes weird and wonderful activities for kids of all ages.
    Well, that "mosquito" that bounced off your windshield during the chase wasn't included in the book -- I checked, not there.

28. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 11:58:06
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I must admit, however, that your story was a cut above mine.

I don't know about that Lou!!!

While Paul's story was, of course, entertaining . . . truth is . . . . stranger than fiction! (And I don't think many stories could top the one you posted!)

And, btw, you stated "[Paul's] story was a cut above" . . . Pun intended?????? hahaha!

29. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 12:02:52
    #

Login to Send PM

yes

30. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 12:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm . . .

Dare I travel further from the path here ?

OK, it's me, you know I just gotta . . .

(OK, obviously you will need to refer to Lou's Huffington Post story and see the photo link, I'm told, cause actually, I didn't want to see that photo for fear of irreversible psychological trauma . . . )

But actually, ya know that in Ghostbusters we learned the dangers in crossing streams.

Just sayin . . .

And, speaking of entomology and windshields here, and this, by the way, is well known down south:

Do you know what research entomologists have discovered goes through the typical bug's mind just prior to death when it hit's your windshield?

Wait for it . . .

Wait . . .

Ready . . .

His ass !

Have a great day ! pjb

31. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 12:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys! Humor truly is the best medicine.

32. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 16:25:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Mosquito Story Update:

Since apparently "inquiring minds want to know";

if you web search the woman in the mosquito story and click around you will find numerous details including photos.

Now, for those of you who simply must see such photos, and YOU know who YOU are already, I think we'll let you look and report back to us.

However, it appears the US mass media has no filter nor moral compass about such things.

Have a nice day ! pjb

33. Itchyboo

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 17:04:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you thinking KP may not have a mozzy bite?? The thought crossed my mind when I saw that story...

34. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 18:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Who is KP ???

35. Itchyboo

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 18:46:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I'm lost now... I was referring to a popular singer who instagrammed/tweeted her mosquito bite today...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,669 posts in 49,314 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE