Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Only on week two and suffering emotionally!

(41 posts)
  1. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 19:09:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I found 4 bed bugs walking around my bed sheets about 2 weeks ago. I had my first treatment by PCO three days later. They found no major infestation and nothing was on the mattress or boxsprings. They gave me follow up appointments two weeks apart for the next month.

I thought everything was fine and put newly purchased bedding on my bed and stayed in my room until the fourth night when I woke up with bugs crawling on my face. I was mortified and filled with anxiety! I stayed up all night until the next morning and call the PCO. I had such a meltdown that they made arrangements to come out that day. However, they said they could not do the same kind of treatment because it had not been 14 days. I didn't care, I have been so stressed out about this situation that I BARELY get any sleep and I've been cleaning non stop. They came out and dusted and spayed a different chemical all over my place. They reminded me that they would still be here to do the initial 2nd follow up in 4 days.

So for the last 4 days (they come tomorrow), I have literally thrown out almost all my things, including clothes, shoes, purses, suitcases, pillows, blankets, you name it. Plus laundered clothes, wrapped in plastic, and have been sleeping on my couch...

I'm physically exhausted, but also mentally drained. I'm really trying to find some moral support. I see a lot of posts that are filled with long agonizing nightmares about having these bed bugs and it's freaking me out!

I don't want to spend months of checking to see if I have bed bugs and go through this every two weeks or so. Is it possible that since they didn't really find a "major infestation" and did two different treatments within 10 days AND are coming again tomorrow to continue with the first treatment, and I thoroughly prepped, etc. I might be done?

I realize nobody can answer that... I'm just looking for moral support more than anything. Does anyone have any success stories they could share? Thanks!

2. BBRISES

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 20:46:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Imoverit,

It 's 3h25 Am here in France, Paris to be more precise. I Know what is it to face such problem.
    I took me around 2 months, since june to deal with these criiters. I believe to have a minor infestation as I take care the issue very rapidly. Thanks to bedbugger and its participants, No bites since two weeks. I cross my fingers.

1. Have you encased your mattress and spring box?
    2. If you re too scared to be bitten, get a sansbug tent, it Will help you to sleep and think correctly.
    3. I recommend Cimexa which is better than DE. But it should be used in conjuntion with other tools. I have used Sansbug tent,Heat, chemicals and dust.

Good Luck

3. sleeplessinShelbyville

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 21:07:58
    #

Login to Send PM

First off. Hello! Trust me you are not alone. I'm in week 5 of my horror story.. I was Freaked out at the beginning also. I still am so. I self treated. I first seen them in my Grand daughters bed. I through out beds, curtains, our 6 month old sectional, lots of clothing, bedding, toy and more. I then got alcohol 97% and sprayed 3 bedrooms, and living room. I am not exaggerating when I say every inch.... got Sprays to kill on contact and the sprays that lasted... bedbug supply great place for everything you need. ( except patience ) if not for this forum and being able to read on small brakes from cleaning and spraying I would not have made it. I even got scolded for using so much alcohol by no bugs on me. lol ok so I sprayed every day with a different spray for 5 weeks. vacuumed daily , put down cimexa ( also bought on bedbug supply ) encased all new mattersses ,boxsprings and pillows, sprayed head boards, foot boards, under bed, dressers, molding everywhere... put cimexa dust behind every electrical outlet cover and with a paint brush I might add. anything that could be washed we washed it. for days and nights. sleepless. I washed all bed cloths every other day. I was crazy! I was a Mad Woman! lol now after my scolding I tried to relax. I have 11 traps around, under and on my bed. But I have not seen a bug in 4 weeks. Thank God! I really did not see a light at the end at the tunnel. I now see a Dot. I'm sleeping in my bed light on no alcohol spray bottle in hand. not a straight on sleep but rest. I still check every trap daily. probably always will. I know I will never be the same. I already was a clean freak but now even my cans in my cubbard are in a very straight line. I even went out to eat today with my husband. so yes it will get better. everyone is different we all have to heel on our own time but you will beat them if you are straight on it. don't slack. I've heard horror stories on doing that to. just wanted to give you a little Hope. get up everyday chanting not today bedbug not today. ( also not the name I call them) but you get the drift. lol. Good Luck! don't back down. use this sight it's Awesome. very educational.... extremely helpful.....

4. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 22:50:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the support!! I truly feel like a lunatic for reacting in such a way! I only told ONE friend of mine what I'm going through, but I downplayed A LOT! I have been doing all of this by myself - up and down 5 flights of stairs all day long and mini meltdowns, breaks, and a lot of impatience!

I feel so sleep deprived and on top of everything else, I caught a really bad cold at the very beginning of this mess!! My energy is so low and I weep and the littlest things! My whole life is disrupted!

I haven't bought a mattress cover yet but I will tomorrow. I thought that since there were no apparent traces of bb on the mattress, I wouldn't need it. The PCO is coming again tomorrow to do the 2nd treatment. Should I put it on right away after they treat?

Thank you so much for listening and responding, it's so weird how much this affects a person! My goodness!

5. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 22:59:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I forgot to mention, even though I've seen and killed the bed bugs, I don't seem to have any bites and I think they've been around for a least a few months? My biggest fear is waking up with them on my face again! Is there anything one can put on their skin to keep them off your body?

Thanks!

6. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 0:09:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Please, please, please don't sleep on the couch during an infestation!!! While it seems logical, you spread it that way. They'll follow you to your couch and infest it, too. They can smell the CO2 you emit and will find you in short order. As hard as it is, sleep in your bed to keep them contained in one area.

As for putting stuff on your skin...don't use alcohol, because it evaporates almost immediately, and don't use bug repellents as they will also wear off by the dark of the night when bed bugs are out. I've heard questionable reports of people slathering themselves in layers of Vaseline to trap them and then showering it all off in the morning. To me that just sounds like another mess for your bed sheets, but I'm not an expert. I never resorted to that.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  7. wonderland

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 9:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read that people would sacrifice arms and legs as bait to avoid bites on the neck and face. If those areas are covered and the face is the only option unfortunately they will go there. Also maybe flip the other direction? Put your head on the other end of the bed? Not sure if it will help but might be worth a try? I've also read about isolating the bed during treatment...getting climb ups, encase meets, pulling the bed from the wall, making sure bedding doesn't touch the ground...

I'm sorry you are going through this...I understand the anxiety and you aren't alone. It isn't ridiculous how you feel...it is a stressor and an annoyance, but just remember you are a strong individual!

8. damnbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 11:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I can definitely relate. I remember crying every day for the first two weeks because it was unbearable. Everything was in bags. My place was a mess. And we had to get rid of so many things from the room where the infestation was because the person who was living there was the one who bagged everything up and didn't remember what bag was what and we just decided to throw everything away since it was a huge hassle to just go through everything and that meant time we didn't have. My mothers stuff was thrown away. To this day, I still don't know what exactly was thrown. But it broke me. She passed away 7 years ago and I had kept some things of hers. It was terrible.

It also didn't help that I started seeing them in bed. Even though I knew they were there since they migrated to my room after the person started spraying raid. I got bit a total of 8 times in two nights. That's how we figured out it was bed bugs. But I never actually saw them in MY room until after the first treatment. Found the small ones. One had the nerve to feed on my arm in broad daylight after I showered! I lost it. It was a hassle.

But here I am, haven't seen a bed bug in over a month. It was not easy. It was not fun. But it was not impossible.

Hang in there, it DOES get better.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 16:09:42
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like the company is on top of things. Two week follow ups are normal. For a small problem, two treatments is often all it takes but you it's possible may need a third.

Do you have bed bug monitors (and therefore some way of verifying whether they're still present)?

Just so you're aware, mattress encasements have pros and cons--this FAQ explains:
    http://Bedbugger.com/bed-bug-encasements

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 23:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the support... so needed that! BugsUpInFlames I've heard that sleeping in another room is not a good idea, but I can't muster up enough guts to take on the bedroom yet! The PCO came for the 2nd treatment and treated the couch for the 2nd time too... I bought a encasement for the mattress and will probably put it on tomorrow - I feel like it's my "big girl pants" to start me off with the first night back in my bedroom!

Nobugsonme I will read the link you sent regarding mattress encasements first. I also haven't bought a monitors. I feel like I'm in a bit of denial and think that I would freak out if I saw them in those monitors! But, everyone says to get them and I'm sure that will be next. Thank you for all the information!

The PCO left me a note saying I did a great job on prepping my unit! THAT made me feel like all the hard work is paying off! I would not have known how or what to do if it weren't for the many posts I've read on here!! thank you!!

11. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 22:03:17
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: I spoke to the PCO this morning to ask what he found and when I could safely put the mattress encasement on the mattress. PCO said he did not find any live bugs and treated with extra gusto a small area on the mattress he called a nest. (I already know they don't have "nests" from reading this forum, but I got what he was saying). Anyway, he said I'm clear to put my bedroom back together and start living a normal life and to try to relax. He felt very confident that they are gone. He reminded me that he would be back for the 3rd follow up in 2 weeks. He said to leave the powder along the baseboards until he comes back in 2 weeks.

So brave me put the mattress incasement on (all by myself!), and pushed the bed and other furniture back in place. That was as far as I could go! I'm still too scared to put sheets down and finish setting up my bedroom. I talked to the owner on the 2nd floor (I'm on the 5th floor) that had bed bugs from the beginning and is still bug free to date. (about 2 months ago) Same PCO used.

I am going to take baby steps back... maybe I'll be back in the bedroom by the weekend! Sigh...

12. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 22:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Imoverit - 40 minutes ago  » 
    UPDATE: I spoke to the PCO this morning to ask what he found and when I could safely put the mattress encasement on the mattress. PCO said he did not find any live bugs and treated with extra gusto a small area on the mattress he called a nest. (I already know they don't have "nests" from reading this forum, but I got what he was saying). Anyway, he said I'm clear to put my bedroom back together and start living a normal life and to try to relax. He felt very confident that they are gone. He reminded me that he would be back for the 3rd follow up in 2 weeks. He said to leave the powder along the baseboards until he comes back in 2 weeks.
    So brave me put the mattress incasement on (all by myself!), and pushed the bed and other furniture back in place. That was as far as I could go! I'm still too scared to put sheets down and finish setting up my bedroom. I talked to the owner on the 2nd floor (I'm on the 5th floor) that had bed bugs from the beginning and is still bug free to date. (about 2 months ago) Same PCO used.
    I am going to take baby steps back... maybe I'll be back in the bedroom by the weekend! Sigh...

Glad things seem to be moving forward. Yes, sleeping elsewhere just spreads the problem. What you really need is rest. Once I did that, and formulated my strategy with a clear head, there was no "baby steps" in my case. I charged on, full-speed ahead! Before that, I was a complete nutcase from lack of sleep and total anxiety, not to mention severe stress.

It was a month before the PCO came back for his follow-up, and during that time I had faithfully put into practice every preventive measure I could manage on my budget. Turns out they had all been gotten the first time. He was impressed with how I had rallied, because the first time he met me, he thought the situation had blown my sanity, which had very nearly been the case. I had determinedly kept on sleeping on my (new, encased) bed the entire month. I didn't have a couch any longer anyways (still don't), but I was determined that if there was still a problem, I'd keep it limited to the bedroom only. That meant being bait, although all the "bites" I got since then were either mosquito related or stress-related.

13. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2016 22:58:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I am only on week two and a half and I feel your pain. Going through a profession to treat my issue as well but can understand the emotional roller coaster. This is not an easy thing. What has helped for me is reading success stories on this forum. It helps to know that there will be an end although at times now it has not seemed like it. It seems like a never ending nightmare and you wish you can go back in time to before this issue or just snap your fingers and it will be gone. Also know the disappointment that it was not over with after the first treatment. You spent a lot of money why cant it just be all gone but realizing it is a process. We can do this (although you are catching me at a good moment at other times you can catch me in tears saying this will never end).

14. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 0:31:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I finally got the guts to put my room back together and tonight I'm going to TRY and sleep in my bed. My sheets are so white that they are giving me anxiety! I kept the powder stuff around the baseboards and made the whole bed up including a mattress encasement. I tried to make my room look as relaxing as possible, and I normally LOVE crisp white sheets, but I may have go for a tad of color....

cannotsleep999 I've been trying to only read the success stories... I don't see many. If you know of some that only took 2 treatments, please point me in the right direction?

Wish me luck! very nervous!!

15. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 19:43:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I was new to forums so until nobugsonme let me know I did not realize there was a search at the top right hand side of the page. I searched for success stories and read any I could find. I realized I would have to read the first story and then search again and read the next and so forth. Otherwise unrelated non success stories would come up. I just got done with my second PCO treatment today and on the paperwork they found no bed bug activity for all rooms in my house. After my first treatment I did at first notice a lot more bed bug activity. They also had on paperwork for first treatment that they noticed bed bug activity. I am hoping that after second treatment you get much better news. This is not an easy thing to go through. As for what second treatment my PCO did they were going to do an IGR treatment but last minute decided on another type of treatment. Not sure what the next treatment will be at this time.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 22:54:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Imoverit and Cannotsleep999,

You don't have to search for success stories.

There are almost 550 success stories here:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/forum/success-stories

(There's a list of forums at the bottom of the main forums page, under Latest Discussions-- and one of these is for success stories.)

Most people forget to come back and write one, once they feel they're clear. That's understandable. This may include many people whose bed bug problems were treated quickly in 1-3 visits.

17. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 23:05:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the link nobugsonme. That will save time from searching.

18. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 23:14:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you cannotsleep999 for the direction to the success stories. I made it through the night! YAY! I'm rereading the replies to my post and it makes me feel a lot better each time! It's not impossible to get through this and going nutso on the PCO when we first start this "process"! AND that it is possible to rid of them after the first or the second treatment!

Another thing I found out today is that the guy next door (the only shared wall in my condo) was cleared of BB a couple months back when the HOA was giving everyone appointments for PCO inspections. At the time I passed on having them inspect, I thought there's no way I have bed bugs plus I'm on the 5th floor! (I don't have a reaction to bites either) so I wasn't physically affected.

It all started back then when someone on the 2nd floor had them and was treated by the same PCO. He has been bugless after the first treatment. I'm not at all familiar with different treatments, nor do I want to be an expert, I just want whatever treatment to work. I do know that the treatments they are using are expensive - HOA has been getting bills, I get one small paper with when and what the treated with each time.

I hope you have relief after your second treatment!

19. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 23:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Imoverit. I hope so as well. Bed bugs just stink in my opinion. Still up trying to get myself ready to go to sleep after this second treatment. Although the paperwork showed no bed bug activity in all rooms I had such a bad reaction after the first treatment I am doing reading success stories here and watching TV trying to calm down enough to go to bed. I just keep telling myself just get to sleep what will be will be. So I can relate to your post about the nerve to go to sleep. Although I am not in the room that originally had the bugs (due to severe allergy) I still get paranoid I will have another reaction. When the other posts say stuff about post traumatic disorder it is no joke. In any case counting down the days to the all clear for everyone and I don't know about you but I am planning something a celebration with my family when we are finally over this bed bug issue.

20. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 27 2016 0:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I stayed on my couch for nearly two weeks... I started to feel like I was on a camping adventure. I'd take my pillow out of the plastic bag and then the one duvet cover and just stay on the couch! And living out of bags... day and night! I think some people are more prone to the trauma of BB than others. ME!!

You may need to discuss with your doctor about getting an EpiPen if you are that allergic? Sounds horrifying!

Little by little my place is getting back to order. I can only do so much after work at night... I've thrown out so much of my stuff that I'm actually quite pleased about the simplicity of my bedroom now. I look forward to buying new things and redecorating! That will be my celebration!

Stay positive and do all that has been suggested by the people on the boards to rid of them. I will update my progress and hopefully will be over this soon! Thank you so much for listening to my saga! It helps a lot!

Keep us posted!

21. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 28 2016 0:26:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your support imoverit. First night went well as far as no bites. I do have an EPI pen and glad to have it.

22. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 28 2016 16:06:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh thank you Nobugsonme for the direct link to some of the success stories. I can imagine that people don't come back to the forums when they have quick results... I feel like may[i] be one of those because so far after the 2nd treatment, I may be bug free too! Don't wanna jinx it though and talking about it helps. I'm glad to know that we have a place to share our experience good and bad!

It's funny, (maybe not funny), but I went to this antique store today and saw this absolutely fabulous mid century upholstered chair that would look great in my place BUT, because of everything I've read here and my own experience, I passed on buying it... In fact, I have no desire to shop at garage sales or any other place that might be selling used furniture... Better off this way for awhile I'm sure!

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 29 2016 2:25:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Imoverit,
    I hope you will have quick success _and_ come back to write a success story!

24. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 31 2016 23:48:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen any bugs for over a week, but I have very small marks (looks like scratch) on my arm and one on my foot that I can't tell if they are bites. No welts and not itchy at all. I have had two treatments and my 3rd follow up is in 7 days. I've had a mattress encasement on for a week and my sheets are stark white. I check every morning and at night to see if there are any signs of bed bugs, nothing. I lift the mattress and look and see no sign of bed bugs. PCO told me after the second treatment that he is 98.9% sure they got rid of them after the second treatment... As instructed, I left the powder along side the bedroom baseboards and around bed legs until they come next week...sigh, am I just being paranoid? I ordered boxspring encasement and traps...await the traps and boxspring encasement. Could I be getting bit or am i jus noticing marks on my skin that I normally wouldn't think twice about?

25. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 11:19:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: This morning I woke up with marks on my back. So I called PCO first thing this morning (Thursday) he said he will come this morning and do another treatment (different than what will be done on Wed). I raced home from work so that I could leave my key to my unit. Then I stripped the bed put in bags to wash tonight again... Saga continues!

26. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 20:07:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh no. Hopefully after this next spray no more bugs. Fingers crossed. One thing I was told by my PCO and you might want to check with yours is in regards to bedding I wash the bedding and dry it on high heat. every couple of days. Kinda expensive but my PCO had told me this would kill anything on the covers they could have missed. Also still living in bags. The first guy from the PCO told me ok to unpack but I did not and then second guy said keep things in bags. Also told to keep bags with clean clothes in my safe room that did not have any bugs and then dirty clothing in bags in room that had bugs. No hamper at this time. I would again check with PCO but maybe this would help? Also I found a few posts regarding bite marks coming back but no bugs. But I agree with you and I would call the PCO to be sure. Best of luck.

27. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 22:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I rewashed all my bedding again in HOT and HOT. The PCO came out yesterday and he did the Alkaline treatment this time and will be back this Wed of the regular follow up treatment that he's been doing every two weeks. This morning I didn't have any new marks/bites?

Today I received the boxspring encasement I ordered online (I only had the mattress encasement before). It was a struggle, but I managed to put the boxspring encasement on and then took a hot shower and got into clean clothes. I put the pillows and throw blankets that I have on my leather couch in the HOT dryer for 45 minutes. My PCO is very surprised about the marks (bites) and said that if anything it might a be baby bed bug, but he is perplexed. He seems to know what he's talking about, and assured me that he treated other units in this building and the bugs were gone after ONE treatment. He did 2 followups to check and reminded me that he has 100% success rate for ridding bed bugs.

Also, I believe I have done much, much, much more prep work than anyone else that had them in this building! I truly do... because of this site.

If there is anything positive about this is that I have done a VERY thorough "spring cleaning" and haven't keeled over yet! Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I'm at the light at the end of this tunnel! Thanks for the tips! Hope your situation is coming to an end soon too!

28. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 3 2016 17:42:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Well... after all that yesterday and last night. Today, I had 3 red bumps. Not itchy, just raised dot and it doesn't look like the skin was even broken like I've seen with other scratches marks. One on each shoulder, then one on my calf. I seriously don't get it!! I think I've done EVERYTHING possible for these damn things to be gone and PCO is just as stumped! I checked bedding again, (pure white sheets) and saw nothing, nothing nothing. I bought inceptors today and glue strips from a home store. I have them on order online, but they haven't arrived yet so I just went out and bought them from a home store across town!

What gives?? The PCO is coming Wed for the 3rd and final follow up treatment. I'm pretty sure these are bed bug bites but what the h*ll do I know anymore... Sorry to sound so cranky, I just can't stand the thought of this not ending any time soon!

My question is: Can these marks be from dying adults or dying young bed bugs? And will they all eventually die and be gone? I don't really know how the treatment works I guess... thanks!

29. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 3 2016 22:05:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Have attached neighbors on all sides (above, below, next to yours) been professionally inspected?

30. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 3 2016 22:54:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. I only have one shared wall (my bedroom wall) with next door neighbor and one unit below. They said that they were "cleared" of having BB. Does that mean my Unit is the Source? When they first came to treat mine, the PCO said that they found very little activity in my bedroom. I feel like I'm missing something!?!? I'm starting to lose faith in this process and get depressed again... AND why would everyone else's units (the 2nd floor units in the back started this a few months ago) be cleared and mine (I'm on the 5th floor in the front) still having all these issues? Ugh!

I just checked the inceptors and glue traps with a flash light - nothing - and pulled back the sheets and spayed lightly with rubbing alcohol mixed with a little bleach.

31. BuggedGeek

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 2:07:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I hear your pain. I feel so crazy, and we're still a week away from our first treatment, and we're on edge constantly. Trying to get rid of everything we possibly can, put things into a quarantine storage in totes wrapped in shrink wrap, and generally make room in our apartment, which has very angular ceilings and almost no storage.

We did get rid of our bed, which we first doused with Steri-Fab and wrapped in a mattress cover. We're sleeping on a daybed which has a thin metal frame and is about a foot off the ground, showering every night in very hot water before bed, and only wearing clothes out of Ziploc bags.

I feel insane. I'm afraid to touch anyone, afraid to hug anyone, afraid that because we haven't seen a bug since we moved out the bed that we only made them hide better. Seeing other people who have acted and felt the same, and come out alive, really helps. I hope someday to feel normal and be able to sit in a restaurant, or travel (which right now I have sworn off completely), or sleep without waking up to make sure my blankets have not touched the floor.

We're just praying that these things can be gotten rid of, so that we can move out of this poorly sealed and poorly run apartment, where we are still not 100% that the landlord is going to treat the apartments below ours. He seems content to stick with them being in our apartment, and no one else's.

32. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 12:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BuggedGeek, I read your original post a few days back and, thanks for responding to my posts. This whole thing is so exhausting and confusing to me! I still don't understand the whole "contamination" thing... I've been doing the best I can with the resources I have, but some of the stories I read scare me because they seem to be so extreme! I can't imagine living my life with such detachment from the rest of the world. I mean, I think it's good that there is such diligence about not contaminating other rooms or other people, but wow! That's why I keep thinking I'm missing something?! - and at the same time, I don't want to be over paranoid! Agh!! (I feel crazy too!)

This morning... alas (don't wanna jinx it), I haven't seen any bites or anything in the inceptors or traps. I got up at 6:30am and took shower, put on clean clothes and stripped the incased bed again took clothes out of the closet (next to bedroom but not in) where I already washed/dried clothes, but took them out again and went directly down to the laundry room. i rewashed sheets and clothes that I had in the hamper and put the rest already washed clothes in a hot/hot dryer for an hour...

I appreciate your comments... It makes me feel not so alone in all this knowing there are people out there who understand! I haven't really told friends, family, or co-workers what's been going on with my situation. Example of why I don't say much: Yesterday when I went to one of the home stores to buy the inceptors, I found a sales clerk as she was walking and asked her if they carried Bedbug monitors. She literally picked up speed in her pace and kept trying to cut me short by just saying, "no, we don't carry those". I was so insulted because she was clearly brushing me off and I hadn't even said I had bed bugs! Unbelievable! Obviously I want somewhere else to finally buy them!

33. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 14:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Spoke too soon again. Just noticed a tiny red spot on my face. I have nothing more to say... I already rewashed bedding this morning and looked in traps for the 4th time today... I cannot believe how obsessive I've become... I just want them gone!! Spooked out by phantom bedbugs and real marks! Oh well, I guess waiting for the PCO to come Wed. Maybe, just maybe, he'll shed some light or better yet, get rid of them once and for all...

Does anyone know if bedbugs fade away, meaning as they die off or eggs hatch or whatever, do they have "less of a bite"? Like not even breaking the skin... will they eventually die off from the past few treatments I've had? That's all I can think of cuz I don't see ANYTHING in or around the bed... Thanks for being there and listening to my saga...

34. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 22:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin reactions really aren't a good gauge of whether bed bugs are still present. Everyone thinks they should be but they aren't. You likely had skin reactions sometimes before bed bugs but now you think they must mean new bites.

They could have other causes, and since reactions are typically delayed, even if they are bed bug bites, they may be old.

35. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 23:14:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response Nobugsonme. I've taken pictures of every mark that has happened in the last few days since 2nd treatment, don't know why but feel the need to record my whole experience. I'm better than I was when this whole thing started, just mystified somewhat.

Today I actually found dead ones inside a belt buckle flap. I don't know what even made me look there, but I was going to throw all my belts into a hot dryer and just happen to pull back the flap that holds the buckle part... and there they were smushed inside - dead. If they could get in there they can get anywhere! Just to be safe, I threw all the belts away. (Sigh!)

36. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 0:24:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Today I actually found dead ones inside a belt buckle flap.

The good news is they were dead, right? Treatment seems to be working!

37. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 7 2016 22:50:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I've just had my 3rd treatment today. Prior to that I hadn't SEEN any indication that I still have any bb, after the 2nd treatment. I feel like my real 28 day countdown has begun from the 2nd treatment about 16 days ago. The only thing that kind of scared me was that I seemingly was getting bitten after the 2nd treatment but could not be certain that marks were from BB. I learned that my head was probably getting the best of me. But there is a chance that there are fleas in the carpeted hallways and elevator because we have many pet owners in this building.

My epiphany a few days ago was that I was forgetting that the PCO was putting down chemicals to "treat" (KILL) the BB and that I was only focusing on only MY part in making sure I was decluttering, cleaning, incasing, washing, drying, ... etc., and was feeling like I wasn't doing enough or that I must have missed something... You guys on here allowed me to gripe, rant, and question everything I was going through. I'm very thankful for all of you that have been there for me! My fingers are crossed, but more importantly I have faith that my PCO did his job well and got rid of them once and for all!

Thank you again for all your support!!!

38. BuggedGeek

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2016 3:16:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't feel bad at all! We're a day away from our first PCO visit and I'm worried sick. We still haven't seen any signs of anything since we took out the bed and I'm terrified. What if we're missing something, what if we drove them into hiding worse? Today we were bleaching down cabinets and dishes and going through books, and I noticed a bundle of rash like breakout on my forearm, and I've been jittery ever since. Trying to figure out where it could have come from, or if it could just be a reaction to the bleach.

XXL Ziplocs are one of our favorite survival tools. We don't have our own washer dryer, so we do a good couple loads in hot water, dryer on high for about 45 minutes, and then divey out our needs for the next few days. Living out of bags is frustrating, but feels necessary right now.

I'm so scared of everything, right now I just can't ever think about traveling or going anywhere, and I'm afraid it won't get better...It's nice to see other people who feel equally as crazy, makes me hope that it might get better!

39. sleeplessinShelbyville

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2016 21:47:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear you are counting down to Victory. It is not an easy thing to deal with. I was a emotional wreck for weeks... Still am at times Checking traps and washing bedding. spraying once a week now. trying to resume my normal. I put my curtains back up today 8 weeks and 2 days no sighting of anything. Your Mind will come back, Slowly! I finally sit in my living room today. first time in 9 weeks. It will get better for you. This site is a God send for Crying, questions, advise and answers.

40. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2016 22:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for reading my saga and cheering me on! Just being there...

I keep reading about people "spraying" after PCO treatments.

I have been afraid to undo what PCO has done so I haven't bought or sprayed anything between professional treatments. What "spray" should I buy for maintenance treatments? What is it called, where do you get it?

41. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 9 2016 0:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need maintenance treatments. You just need treatment until they are gone.

If you have some continued exposure, that should be addressed instead.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail