(6 posts)
  1. soylouisebrooks

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Oct 15 2018 3:26:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I first posted here in December 2017 -- I had moved into a flat with a horrible bedbug infestation, unknowingly, of course. The landlord paid for a PCO but I was so traumatised I moved out in January 2018. I followed all the steps -- washed and dried everything above 60 degrees Celsius, sealed my 'undryables', you name it. I wasn't careful enough and brought them with me to the new place.

I tried to control the spread with Cimexa. I have only ever seen 1 live bug in the new place, in late June, but I was being bitten for months. I called in a PCO in June and he performed 4 treatments spread out until late August. After the first treatment, I saw 2 small dead bugs. Since then, I have seen no live or dead bugs, but there are fecal amd blood stains on my sheets.

I called in a second PCO who performed 2 heat treatments, removing sideboards and thoroughly inspecting my room in the new place. To no avail. I was bitten again last night, just as I have been every other night. Again, no sign of them anywhere, just the bites. The PCO has said it is very odd that they are not spreading or multiplying -- it's almost as though these successive treatments are just keeping a small infestation in check but not getting rid of it. I have 1 treatment to go and then a 1 month guarantee.

I have lived out of sealed bags for months, not wearing anything in my room out into the rest of the flat or vice versa, washing and drying bedding every week, sleeping in my own bed. I am at the end of my tether. I've tried to get past the shame of moving "wrong" and just deal with the problem as rigorously as possible but I am close to throwing everything I own away and moving to an entirely new place and starting over.

Do you have any advice? Any words of wisdom are welcome -- it's been so tough. I just want this nightmare to be over.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Oct 15 2018 9:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Treating without finding live samples, that doesn't sound very smart, bad PCO.

Bed bugs don't work in the way that you're describing, I would look elsewhere for the cause of your skin irritations.

3. PicketFences

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Oct 15 2018 10:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

If it is bed bugs: is this a stand alone house or an apartment unit in a building? If it’s a unit in a larger building I wonder if your neighbors have issues. This has been an issue with my apartment where neighbors don’t really handle it and the bugs migrate over. So it doesn’t multiply when we treat but persists.

4. soylouisebrooks

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Oct 15 2018 10:16:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, yes I am starting to think it may be a different issue but so much points in the direction of bugs:

- I had a confirmed, terrible infestation in my last flat
    - I saw a live bug on my bed in June
    - My bites have that typical triangular pattern and the same symptoms as in the flat where I was living before

It is a penthouse flat. I spoke to the downstairs neighbours 3 weeks ago to inform them we had bugs and were being treated and they said they hadn't noticed anything.

It is such a mystery. I wish I could just find the source so I could stop being bitten and dropping the insane amount of money this is costing.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Oct 15 2018 11:06:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Just because you had them before doesn't mean that's the problem now.

One live bug in June could produce an infestation large enough to easily spot with even the most basic search of your bedding and furniture.

Triangles, lines, Morse Code formation, it's about your brain assigning patterns. Bed bugs cannot use rulers or protractors, the three bites myth is just that.

It wouldn't hurt to have the neighboring apartments inspected, if nothing else that would eliminate one possible entry point and at least give you peace of mind.

6. soylouisebrooks

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Oct 15 2018 11:33:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BigDummy, thank you for taking the time to reply again. I think you're right. I will see about getting the neighbouring flats inspected (there are only 2 below me, so at least it's not a huge building). It is so puzzling.

The last place had such a widespread infestation (the PCO said it was rare to see one so bad) and I was just so naive when I moved in. I'm in Europe and the problem is less prevalent here than in the US and Canada. It really shook my trust in my judgment and made me obsessive about the bugs. Also, I travel a lot for work, and now I put everything in the dryer when I get home, check hotel rooms for bugs, and generally am always on the alert. But the fact is I am still waking up at night from itchy raised bites that are exactly like what I had in the last place.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,253 posts in 47,652 topics over 147 months by 21,005 of 21,326 members. Latest: scaredincanada, BleuRoses, mab1017