(2 posts)
  1. c555

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2016 11:34:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I found a small red bug while staying at a hotel this past week and need your help.

About the encounter:
    I put some of my clothes from my bag on top of the bed while getting ready and shortly after saw a red bug crawling on my shirt (still on the bed). I snatched the bug as quickly as possible, but it was moving very quickly and in a panic, I put it down the drain. I was able to take a quick look at it, but don't have a picture. It was brownish/red and had an oval body, which sounds a lot like a bed bug. I looked through all of my clothes and my bag, but did not see anymore. I also have no bites. It's hard to say if the bug came from my bag or the bed. The hotel was in Bethany Beach, Deleware if this information helps at all. Funny enough--I am pretty afraid/cautious of BBs (I work in schools) and happened to look at my mattress as soon as I got there and didn't see any signs of BBs.

Background Information:
    Over the summer, I found what I believe to be book lice on the top of my dresser and some other places around the house. It was very hot and humid in my apartment (I live on the top floor of a private house in NYC) which is prime conditions for them. I really don't think they were BB nymphs because they moved very quickly and wouldn't come towards my hand to feed. They also never made it to my bed. The weather has dropped in the past couple of weeks and I haven't seen them around. I saw one or two, but not like before. Also, I have never seen a red one in my house.

This leads me to believe that the bug I saw in my hotel room was...
    a) an older book louse that came from my house. (I took some of the things that were on top of my dresser to the hotel and they were in my bag, so the buggers could have traveled with me). It was moving very quickly, which doesn't seem to be characteristic of bed bugs, but is more characteristic of the book lice I saw in my house. Again, though, I've never seen red book lice in my house, but in some google images they appear reddish: [url=http://creature-comfortsuk.com/media/wysiwyg/images/BOOKLICE.png]null

b) indeed a bed bug that perhaps came from the hotel. This would also make sense because I have never seen a red book louse in my house before.

c) neither a book louse nor a bed bug--just some other random bug that crawled into my bag. My bag was on the floor in the hotel room and near the balcony door which we opened a few times.

Next Steps:
    Since, I can't know for sure, I'd like to take some precautions. What I've done so far is put my luggage in garbage bags and I plan on washing everything on hot today. I was so tired from traveling though that I did not put the bags in garbage bags right away (though I kept all the clothes in the luggage itself) and I did keep wearing the jacket I brought with me to the hotel. I hope this wasn't terribly careless. I was just so tired.

Can you please let me know your thoughts and any suggestions in what to do going forward?

Thank you!!
    -C

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2016 23:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

There are FAQs on what to do if exposed in the Travel FAQs.

There are FAQs on getting bed bugs out of stuff here.

You can dry clothing on hot in most cases, but you may wish to treat empty luggage itself with DDVP strips in a sealed plastic bag. See Useful Tools section on DDVP.

Carefully looking at these images of bed bugs may help you determine if it was a bed bug, and help you identify them if you find any in future.

Passive bed bug monitors (eg Packtite Passive) may help you confirm you don't have bed bugs at home now. See the FAQ on bed bug monitors.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081