One Night In Hotel - Bites Appearing 2-7 Days Later

(2 posts)
  1. erika0423

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 19:24:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I am trying to figure out if I brought bed bugs home with me last week from an overnight road trip or if I'm simply having a delayed reaction. Any help is appreciated:
    Last Thursday night, my 14 year old daughter and I stayed at a mediocre hotel for one night. Besides the clothes and jackets on our backs, we had only a spare outfit, pajamas, and a small blanket in a backpack each. We slept in different beds. The zipped backpacks were placed on the bed for a couple hours when we went to dinner but were then placed on the dining table across the room and never actually "unpacked" per say, though we put in our PJs and used our blankets. After heading home the next day (Friday) we unfortunately unpacked our bags Friday night and slept at home before I had my first appearance of bites. Starting Saturday morning when I showered, the first clusters had appeared and continued to appear throughout the day: A cluster then an isolated single bite on my lower back, an isolated bite below one knee, a cluster near my elbow on my right arm, and two more areas on my right arm and one on my left that felt like something was there but actually took several days to finally come to a head, so to speak. This morning I found a cluster that *may* be new but may have just been missed as it is under my arm under bra band area, and perhaps a new cluster on my right arm (but may have been one of the ones that took a while to come to a head). You see, all the original bites are getting increasingly itchy and swell progressively more as the days go by if I accidentally scratch them. So as hard as I am trying to keep track, I am having trouble keeping it straight with the increased swelling. If that makes sense.
    Any way, my daughter has not been bit to my knowledge, though she could be a non-reactor. My husband who did not go on the trip has not been bitten to my knowledge. However, he works third shift and sleeps in our bed during the day, while I sleep at night and almost always fall asleep on the couch. I have only slept in the bed one night since coming back from the trip.
    With this info, do any of you think I brought anything home? Is it possible the bites from that night are still taking their time to appear? I read it can take up to 14 days for bites to appear, but does that mean they can contimue to appear for 14 days, or would all bites from one night pretty much appear simultaneously?
    Am I right in assuming if I DID bring some home it is early enough to catch the issue while it is still a small one? And what should my first step be until I know I have brought some home? I am concerned because my house is very small, somewhat dark and I mostly have dark furniture and linens. Lucklily I have no carpet or rugs.
    Anyway, insight is much needed and appreciated!

2. SalsaVince

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 21:10:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, bites can show up days later. Several factors can influence when they show up and when they itch such as after you take a shower, temperature, physical activity, etc. If you did bring them home a week ago, you could see new bites. They don't feed every day since it takes time to digest their meal but after several days, they'll be ready to feed again. But at this stage, you can't assume they are bed bugs just based on your skin lesions. There are 3 definite signs of bed bugs: actual bugs, cast skins, or fecal traces. You should read up on how to find those signs and where to look. Your focus would be on the couch where you sleep often, your beds, and chairs you spend a lot of time in. If you don't find any signs after several weeks, you'll should consider other possibilities. If you do confirm them within the next couple of weeks, yes, it is very early stage and you should be able to get rid of them relatively fast depending on treatment. All you can do for now is educate yourself and monitor but don't stress too much.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula