(7 posts)
  1. Croydonbuggy

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 8:05:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Small panic..

Last night I was horrified to notice a (dying?) bedbug on a towel that had been left on the floor our spare room. I assumed it was dead, and this morning I went to squish it to see how dry and dead it was. It wriggled a bit when squished, and when we drowned it in water. It had stayed still overnight.

We looked in our bedroom in the mattress, bed slats etc and found nothing. We are frequent travellers and tend to leave luggage in the spare room. Are we hopelessly optimistic to think this is a lone traveller who was starving to death?

We had a bedbug scare 6 months ago from blood stains on the mattress. The pest control guy said we had no bugs, but for peace of mind we got him to heavy duty spray our room. He said this should give us ongoing protection, am I right?

2. Croydonbuggy

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 14:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

https://m.imgur.com/7olZt29

Here's a picture of the horrid thing

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 14:29:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, that's an adult. Could be one that hitchhiked. Are you in an apartment or single house? Row house?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Croydonbuggy

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 14:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a terraced house. It was moving very little, only when we tried to kill it. Could this mean it's starving?

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 15:54:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Croydonbuggy - 1 hour ago  » 
    It's a terraced house. It was moving very little, only when we tried to kill it. Could this mean it's starving?

Starving, but could be from it not feeding (as opposed to dying), could be from previous insecticide application.

6. Croydonbuggy

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 16:14:48
    #

Login to Send PM

So what should we do? Apply DE and wait and see?

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 16:16:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Croydonbuggy - 46 seconds ago  » 
    So what should we do? Apply DE and wait and see?

You can use various monitors, inspect. I'd use CimeXa dust rather than DE. Follow label instructions.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg