Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

One bug and I feel like I'm going crazy. Advice (or reality check)?

(7 posts)
  1. scared-girl

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 23:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all, you guys are amazing. Thank YOU ALL for this site. Wow.

I know my story so far is not a nightmare like what I have been reading here, but I do feel a little crazy (and really want to get my s*** together). I live in NYC in an old tenement building. I found a live adult bug on my comforter a week ago. I killed and bagged it. It was identified and my apartment was treated on monday. I have been sleeping on the sofa buy have seen no signs of anything (although i have been highly paranoid). I bought protect-a-bed encasements for my mattresses and pillows, yet I am still terrified to sleep in my bedroom. The exterminator thinks it was a loner bug that I must have brought in (not sure if i believe that - although i work at the UN which has BB now. great) ... I am highly paranoid and worry about thousands more. How do I calm down and believe it was a loner -- get back to being a normal person? I have had no bites (and the bug I saw was flat..i semi-crushed it when i bagged it and there was no blood, so it did not feed). I have developed a bad itchy-all-over feeling, which might be DE or panic anxiety. Lovely. There is DE in mounds all over my apt. I haven't washed everything or declared war yet -- only my bedding and some clothing. Should I be going crazier? I read on here that it is typically 60 days until being BB free...should I expect the same? How do I calm the hell down?

btw... i went to the movie theatre the other night and was overcome with a sadness that even the cinema will never feel safe again. Sigh... this is like a zombie attack film...

2. sadmomma

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 3:35:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Scared-Girl,

I hope that it was just a hitch-hiker. If it isn't you sound like you are doing your best. I know how overwhelming the fear and anxiety can get.

I wanted to write to you about the itchiness. I had the itchy all over feeling for months and I'm pretty sure it was a combo of the DE, maybe the pesticides from my 2 fumigations and my own Post Traumatic Stress symptoms. (My partner and I just had a baby and this situation has literally driven us around the bend. We are both showing OCD and PTSD symptoms, which I imagine is common for people dealing with sleep deprivation and bb)

I used lots of Aveeno moisturizer and it helped a little, but it wasn't until I moved that my skin felt better.

Keep alert, but TRY to be calm. I know that can seem impossible.

Good luck!
    Sadmomma

3. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 3:40:50
    #

Login to Send PM

You are over using DE. PLEASE go read the FAQ on it. You should not have piles anywhere. MAKE SURE you are using the food and not pool grade of DE.

I worked for a brief while in a law firm where the job was going through and reading this testimony of people who used sand blasters in the 70s and 80s who much later developed severe breathing problems. The reason? the sand, much like DE was silicon based. Please dont mess with your health.

4. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 3:50:59
    #

Login to Send PM

But in other news, finding a bed bug means finding a bed bug. It could be a hitchhiker or from another apartment in your building. You may as well want to buy some climbups and passive bed bug moniter, which provides an easy place for bugs to hide, and therefore poop and lay eggs and leave signs.

Be vigilant, check your bedding, and if you think youre getting specific itching and not just the creepy crawlies, maybe get a dog to inspect, if you think thats worth it. But get a visual confirmation, not all dogs are 100%.

5. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 10:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy skin is normal when on high alert and suffering from anxiety. Find ways to bring the anxiety down a bit...in whatever way works for you. You'll notice less itching when you do.

6. scared-girl

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 15:32:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The exterminator put down fossil shell dust (isn't that a form of DE?) all along the baseboards...in rather thick piles. I have afraid to vaccuum it up as I want to kill the b******. I have vacuummed inside the rest of the apartment but have been living with the fossil shell dust everywhere else. it's been a week and my furniture is still all pulled out. Is this bad? Should I be worried that he doesn't know what he's doing?

also, I am still sleeping on the sofa... how do I get the courage to move back to my bed??

thanks...!

7. scared-girl

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 15:34:20
    #

Login to Send PM

oh... i plan on getting BB passive but climbups would be useless and my NYC bedroom is literally just the bed (now way can it not touch a wall!)...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88