One Adult and One Casing

(3 posts)
  1. livewithfive

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 11:41:17
    #

Login to Send PM

To begin, I am a school nurse who has dealt with bed bugs quite a bit in the school setting and am able to recognize the insect and understand life cycles.

Yesterday morning, my son found a live adult bed bug on his pillow. It did not appear to have recently eaten. My extended family swooped in and we began Operation Extermination in his room. We were very careful with removal of items. His bed was taken apart and inspected. Every stitch of clothing and linens were removed in garbage bags and dried on high heat. His carpets were cleaned. My father-in-law is a maintenance man at a camp and he brought over the industrial heaters they use for for their cabins (to kill bed bugs) and he heated the room to 148 degrees. (I am fully aware heating one room may have pushed bugs into other spaces, but that's what we could do at the time).

During the entire inspection, no other bugs, fecal stains, or eggs were found. No bugs were found in the lint trap of the dryer. I had a passive bed bug monitor at the head of his bed and one casing was found in the monitor.

So, one bug, one casing. What is your take on this? Did we catch something early, or should we assume there are more elsewhere? I am thinking maybe he picked up a nymph at school when he piled his backpack with everyone else on his track team, threw his backpack on the bed when got home, and a couple weeks later, we find the adult bug.

Am I being optimistic? No other signs were found in any other rooms or any other monitors. My son did have a couple of bites about 10 days ago. No one else does.

I do have an exterminator coming to do an inspection and possible residual pesticide treatment. Would you consider this the necessary next step?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 12:05:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds plausible to me, I've found infestations of one before.
    I would check the monitor for a few weeks, but I don't think that you're in danger of more lurking around after the treatment. It wouldn't hurt to check common areas in the house like couches.

The problem you might have is figuring out who it came in with and the chances of re-infestation if the bed bugs at the source are not dealt with.

3. livewithfive

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 12:10:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I have monitors on the living room furniture as well and did not find anything there.

I know bed bugs tend to congregate at first. It seems like I would have found other evidence in the monitor besides one casing if there were several. Obviously, the monitor was used as a nesting area.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie