OMG! My bedbug heat treatment failed!

(18 posts)
  1. lmertz36

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2011 23:57:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. I hired Orkin Pest Control 8 months ago to chemically treat my home for bed bugs. I did the full-time, tedious prep work EXACTLY as instructed and, when all was said and done, they were unable to save my living room furniture after months of chemical treatments. I threw away the living room furniture at their request and had a final treatment. Two months later, I bought new furniture and was out about $3500 for the chemical treatments and the new furniture. My new couch became reinfested and, because I was unhappy with Orkin's service and because I wanted to keep my furniture, I called Scherzinger Pest Control to perform a heat treatment. Scherzinger is the most reputable heat treatment company in my area with a 98% success rate and I paid almost $3000 for the heat treatment of my home. The heat treatment was 20 days ago and I happened to fall asleep on my couch this evening. I woke up with over 100 bites on my feet. I looked and I am unable to find any live bedbugs, but they must be deep inside the couch. I have a 30 day guarantee and I plan to call Scherzinger in the morning. I believe that because these bugs have been exposed to so many chemical treatments that they have become SUPER BUGS. Is this possible?? What do I do if neither professional heat nor chemical treatments have worked for me??

2. BarelyLiving2

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2011 6:44:34
    #

Login to Send PM

No, they wouldn't be super bugs for heat. They could be resistant to chemicals, but that wouldn't make them heat resistant.

Make sure that the bites on your feet aren't just a skin reaction. That's a lot of bites to not be able to find bugs.

If you are sure that it is bites, then you've got the 30 day warrantee, you're set-- maybe they just really need to focus on heating the couch.

3. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2011 6:56:16
    #

Login to Send PM

That does seem like a lot of bites, especially without finding bugs and having just received a treatment. While heat isn't always 100% effective, I've heard it at least can do a pretty good job of reducing populations.

If you discover more bugs/evidence, you may want to consider if there's a way you are somehow being reinfested. Could someone in your household be bringing them back in from work or school or some other regularly visited location? Also, make sure the things you have with you (clothing, purses, wallets, etc.) are thrown in a hot dryer or packtite when you return home after the treatment, in case one happened to hitch a ride on one of those items.

4. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2011 7:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

100 bites? That's a little much. Could be a rash...

5. sickofthis2

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 23:01:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Orkin isn't doing much good for me either. They've treated me 4 times and I still have 'em.

6. Alberta has bugs

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 0:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Had heat treatment as well and as Nobugsonme pointed out, the prickly sensation I was experiencing after the treatment could have been from carpet bettle remains which are prickly.

I would suggest a thorough cleaning/vacum and then see if you get the same effect.

7. Sleepingwithvampbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 5:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Do you live in a house or an apartment? My heat treatment also failed had it done last monday, tuesday night saw a live bed bug crawling on my couch. I put it a jar having another treatment this following monday. We were really bummed to find out the same day as our treatment that our neighbor across the hall has them too, as we both just moved in here a month apart from each other. We were hoping it was just our apartment and heat treatment would be the end of this:( I live in a apartment with only 4 units. found out 2 so far out of us four have them. The other 2 tenants "who have been here for years" swear they don't have them....We are being really proactive on resolving this issue. The reason I ask about house or apartment is because you have a better chance of regetting them in an apartment if sourounding apartments have them

8. ihatebugs14

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 28 2013 20:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

just want to point out that if one bug bit 3 or 4 times (breakfast, lunch, dinner), 100 bite marks are not that many.

9. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 29 2013 20:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I was extremely satisfied with the heat treatment Orkin did to my apartment, as i have been bug free for 3 months now, but they treated all the infested units in the building as well as the directly adjacent units that were not infested, but all the apartments in this building are basically just tiny little "Tokyo style" rooms with tiny bathrooms and kitchens and none of the units here are carpeted, so that likely explains why the treatments were so successful, as the entire building was confirmed bug free 1 month later by a dog inspection, also provided by Orkin.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  10. vikrantl

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 30 2013 10:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If anyone had a chemical treatment (may be 2 years ago), the occupant may get these rash marks and itching; for real proof of bed bugs, turn on the lights and video camera during your sleep.. simple.

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 30 2013 11:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Some clarification for the benefit of all:

> Whether heat or any other type of treatment service is being purchased, know EXACTLY what you're getting, the total cost, how & what will be done, the anticipated results and the warranty being offered.

> You wouldn't get rid of YOUR dog or cat simply because it has fleas would you? No. You'd just get rid of the fleas. PLEASE apply this concept to your furniture and just get rid of the bed bugs !

> Note that there are bed bug bite, entry & escape proof encasements available for: mattresses, box springs, couches & recliner chairs. As such, there really is no need to get rid of any such piece of furniture that has remaining utility therein.

> STOP saying or thinking that a bed bug bite in a pattern of three (i.e. b'fast, lunch & dinner). That is simply NOT TRUE !

> 100 bites in just one night is indicative of numerous bed bugs being present. If you get this many bites but are unable to find any bugs, then you either are not looking in the correct place, don't know how or what to look for or there are no bed bugs present.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

12. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 30 2013 19:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with the post above. You shouldn't have to throw away furniture at all if it was treated properly. It sounds to me like the exterminators you dealt with blamed your furniture for their own incompetence and ordered you to toss it so they wouldn't have to spend more time doing a more thorough job.

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 1 2014 21:05:22
    #

Login to Send PM

vikrantl - 2 days ago  » 
    If anyone had a chemical treatment (may be 2 years ago), the occupant may get these rash marks and itching; for real proof of bed bugs, turn on the lights and video camera during your sleep.. simple.

I've long wondered if video could be of use in tracking down bed bug activity and harborages. Have you tried this? What was your experience?

Unfortunately, people have spent thousands and lost furniture only to discover that they were reacting to something other than bed bugs.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  14. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 2 2014 5:09:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I know a few people living in a 5 story 60 unit building in which bed bugs were reported in some units and even though a dog inspection proved that these people i mentioned had absolutely no bugs and the infestations were confined to units far from theirs they tossed out all of their furniture anyway out of fear and misunderstanding, and because they don't have much money for anything besides rent and food they are still without furniture over 3 months later. A very sad and avoidable situation.

15. JOPESTKIL

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Oct 27 2018 0:05:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs are modern parasitic insects and are an ever increasing pest problem worldwide. Bed bugs are flat, oval shaped, and reddish in color. They feed on the blood of mammals and prefer human blood. Bed bugs are about ¼ of an inch in length, which is about the size of an apple seed. They are mainly nocturnal and feed on their unaware hosts while they are sleeping. Even though bed bugs are not known to transmit any diseases to humans, they certainly are more than a nuisance pest. Bed bug bites can cause some people to develop small red bumps or welts. However, for others they may not show any allergic reaction to the bites at all. One of the most common issues with bed bug infestations is that they can lead to significant sleeplessness, stress and embarrassment. They can also be quite detrimental to hotels and other commercial lodging facilities scaring away customers.
    Bed bugs travel from place to place by hitchhiking on different hosts. Hitchhiking enables them to be able to cover large distances, which is made easier by the affordability of mass transit. They will generally gain access to your home on luggage, bags, furniture and clothing that has been exposed to an infestation. Bed bug problems are not contained to low budget motels or dirty homes. They are a problem for every income bracket and can infest all types of residential homes, apartment complexes, hotels and other commercial facilities

16. JOPESTKIL

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Oct 27 2018 0:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs are ever unwanted in households and commercial premises. Bed bugs will infest readily and if not controlled in enough time, will continue to wreck havoc reaching high level infestation which may be complex to eliminate completely….
    Bedbugs! These insects invade homes and wreak havoc wherever they will intentionally attack. Effective bed bug control may seem impossible when it comes to a high level stubborn infestation, but there must be light at the end of the tunnel to eliminate these small, pesky pests.
    Bed bugs are tricky bugs. When they get into a home or business, they can get into hard to reach locations, not just your beds. These insects can dwell in outlets, wall voids, electronics, behind baseboards and anywhere close to resting and sleeping human sites. They can also be deep inside upholstered furniture or under rugs unsparingly. The trick to beating these hitch hiking, tricky bugs is understanding their habits and habitats. Bedbugs are for sure are real nuisance. Bedbug infestations seem to be increasing around the world at an alarming rate not even being threatened by available control measures, possibly due to insecticide resistance. Resistance to pyrethroid insecticides is already widespread in the whole world. The bedbug infestation occurs in aggregations when conditions are favorable, but the arthropods disperse when conditions are unfavorable. Active female dispersal can potentially lead to treatment failures and should be taken into account when using control methods.
    New tactics against these bugs are needed for this escalating public health concern in locations with high occupant turnover, such as hotels, hospitals, and nursing homes. Indeed, in the past decade bedbugs have become a worldwide urban pest, with the number of households affected markedly increased.

17. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 28 2018 0:07:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  18. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 28 2018 8:07:43
    #

Login to Send PM

JOPESTKIL - 1 day ago  » 
    Bed bugs are modern parasitic insects and are an ever increasing pest problem worldwide. Bed bugs are flat, oval shaped, and reddish in color. They feed on the blood of mammals and prefer human blood. Bed bugs are about ¼ of an inch in length, which is about the size of an apple seed. They are mainly nocturnal and feed on their unaware hosts while they are sleeping.

Sounds like an ad for your company. The common bed bug is not restricted to mammals. Your description is based on the adult insect; you left out the 5 nymph stages. Size is incorrect because of that. Bad reference to apple seeds. Feed at night and during the day, too. This depends on the behavior of their host at the time.
    Plus, the original post is over 4 years old.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,664 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me