Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Resources

OMG!!!! Just found out infested,,,landlord knew.in AZ what are my rights??

(6 posts)
  1. WTF

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 1:33:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved into an apartment 2 1/2 months ago. Found bites on my kids and husband. Today started checking every where(didn't really know about bed bugs, thought it was a problem back east). Well I found them. I went to the neighbor who's wall is attached to mine and asked if they had any problems,,,,,,WTF? They inform me the landlord has been treating them for 3 WEEKS---3 WEEKS. They were told not to tell others. I have since learned from asking around that this has been an ongoing problem in this building and other units. I am newly bankrupt and had to move into a place where I really don't think people know their rights or are willing to start trouble (most are illegal).
    I have looked up the AZ statue on this and it states - "PRESCRIBED IN SECTION 33-1324.
    37 2. THE LANDLORD SHALL NOT ENTER INTO ANY LEASE AGREEMENT WITH A TENANT
    38 FOR A DWELLING UNIT THAT THE LANDLORD KNOWS TO BE INFESTED.
    Well obviously this landlord knew. She tells me that their is a clause in the lease that protects her from having to reiemburse my expenses (I don't remember that) WHAT CAN I DO?????

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 1:37:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Laws concerning tenants' rights when it comes to bed bugs tend to vary not only by state, but by city.

Contact your local tenants' rights organization first.

3. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 1:39:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, directly this place is not for legal advise, however what I can tell you is if the landlord knew about this issue and failed to tell you, and if what your neighbor told you is the truth and is willing to cooperate then I believe you may be able to go after the landlord for all expenses, including treatment and moving and mental.

Again, I am not giving you legal advise but from what I read if you can get evidence you have something. It is better to check with local laws. I am not sure where to look, also, read the FAQ's on the site and the do's and don'ts once infected.

good luck

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 1:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Laws concerning tenants' rights when it comes to bed bugs tend to vary not only by state, but by city.
    Contact your local tenants' rights organization first.

I second everything Buggyinsocal said. What your rights are and how to get them enforced really varies from place to place. You need advice from local experts on tenants' rights.

There are sources of tenants' advice in various locations in Arizona here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. WTF

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 0:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your answers. After talking more to the neighbor, it turns out she first reported hers MONTHS ago, but the landlord didn't treat it aggressively, just bombed the place. It also turns out her WORST infested room is connected to the room in my apartment where we found them.
    I will keep you all updated, have sought help from the state, will know more tues. due to the holiday.
    So this apt. company just ruined my life for the next 18months at least. Nice. I can't sleep,eat and am so jumpy it's unbelievable! Had just bought new beds (2) and haven't even unpacked everything yet.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 12:48:29
    #

Login to Send PM

WTF,

That stinks. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I hope you can get some help with enforcing the codes.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19