OMG Did I infect my mother's house?????

(4 posts)
  1. duality11

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 15:21:18
    #

Login to Send PM

My mother called me this morning frantic saying she found about four bed bugs in her mattress. I had bed bugs in November (last time I was bit) but I was freaking out during the month of December, couldn't sleep, always searching my body, always feeling something crawling on me, it was torture. I turned into someone I never imagined me to be. I didn't visit friends or family because I didn't want to subject them to this torment. Anyway, on christmas day my mother told me to come over and spend time with the family. I was very apprehensive and scared but I went. Now she has bed bugs. Could I have brought one over there? She doesn't think so, but I feel so guilty. Someone just moved in above her (she lives in a two family home), could that be it? She wants me to come help her and I will but I'm freaking out. I don't want to reinfest my apartment!!! I know once I return from her place to put all my clothes in a plastic bag then wash and dry them. I know what to do, just terrified of reinfestation.

2. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 15:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Duality! So sorry you have to go through this and now your mother. I hate, hate, hate these things and what they can do to people. What kind of precautions did you take when going over there at Christmas? That would be key in being able to figure out your chances whether you brought one over or not. And even then, these bastards can come from anywhere , so you never can be sure. I honestly think I brought one in myself from public transit or the outside somewhere, but who knows??? Anyway, I stayed at my mom's several times during my infestation as I had severe panic attacks, lack of sleep and am a narcoleptic to boot, so I had to go someplace else once in a while to recharge for my health, and took extreme precautions. Wore only freshly clean clothes and shoes, which were still bagged at her door, immediate shower, and borrowed PJs and wore 100% clean clothes that I had stored there. I also went to my godmother's house for several days over Christmas and took many of the same precautions (she also knew about my issue and welcomed me with open arms) and both of them are still free.

There is the chance her new neighbors brought them, she tracked on in from the outside, you really can't be 100% sure where they came from. These bastards are everywhere, sadly. So don't feel guilty. The key now is to help her get rid of them and to, of course, not reinfest yourself. Bring a bag of clean clothes over to change into before you leave her place and wear clothes that you can perhaps get "dirty" there and leave there to be washed and worn again there as you help her. And still bag up the clean clothes you bring with you at home to be washed and dried just in case.

Also, do you have a Packtite? Those are amazing and well worth the money. I only have a laundry room in my building, so I use mine everyday to "clean" my coat and clothes after taking public transit from work. When I am in what I feel might be a real, real risky situation, I keep it set up right at the door to strip into right the second I walk in, I then turn it on and go about my business.

I wish both you and your mom all the success and luck in the world!!!!

3. duality11

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 17:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sitting here thinking about that night. I bought new clothes (sweats) just in case I was going somewhere which I washed just in case. All my clothes were and still are in ziploc bags after washing and drying them (still a little paranoid). I took as many precautions as I could, but you never know. I was just glad my mother didn't blame me, my mother is a handful, lol, but she feels she got it from somewhere else.

Thank you so much for the suggestions when going to her house. I'm definitely going to that. I know I will continue being paranoid, maybe even more so after leaving her house, but I should be fine. Wish me luck !!!!!

4. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 18:05:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, it sounds like you did all you could to prevent them and there's no need to feel guilty. And yes, the paranoia will stay with you for quite sometime, but do what you need to do ease your mind about not bringing them home and you will be fine. Best of luck to you both!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs