Old or new infestation? Skin casings [a: carpet beetles]

(4 posts)
  1. ricarda

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 10:42:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a large studio in an apartment building and back in December discovered bedbugs. The management company handled the treatment and as a result to my dismay (I wanted heat treatment) had two chemical treatments in early and late December. By ignorance, incompetence, or stubbornness the management company did not inspect or treat any of the other units in my building. In mid-February I spotted and captured a bedbug on the ceiling, so the pest company returned with a detecting dog late February. The dog found no viable bedbugs, and since I am not the source of the infestation and it is an apartment building I decided to move out knowing that this would be a persistent issue. Leading me to today, when I am packing up for my move the day after tomorrow, and I find 9 molted skin casings on the dust bag of a purse in a chest. Is there any way at all of knowing whether this is new or old? Other than the sighting in mid February, I have had no evidence of bedbugs. I am already mid move and am concerned about transporting bbs with me. Help

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 11:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can you please post a picture of the casings as that would be a more common place to find carpet beetle larva than bedbugs as it's always best to be 100% sure of what you are dealing with.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. ricarda

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 21:01:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your response! Here are some pictures.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHska4TPVJ

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 10 2015 10:17:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As suspected this is carpet beetles not bedbugs.

Please see:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html and the linked PDF

I just got off the phone with a similar case about 200 miles away where the person thought it was bedbugs and it turned out to the CB's which is a much simpler issue to deal with.

Hope that helps.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,772 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,359 members. Latest: questioning_bugger, Mikayah, maybeebedbugs