Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

OK, I need advice. Feel defeated.

(14 posts)
  1. itchynscratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 15:14:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Started getting some classic bites 2 months ago after an international trip. Couldn't find any bugs. Called in a dog who indicated on my side of the bed (I was only one getting bitten in family). Had a PCO start treatment 2 days later. Without getting into to, PCO made a mistake and admitted the mistake and came out to retreat. Retreatment was considered treatment number one. Had the "second" treatment 2 weeks later. No obvious bites, but did get those suspicious red marks that weren't like the initial bites but make you go "hmmm." My kid and I both had some of these. But still, no bugs found. No poop, no skin casting. So I felt in the clear finally. A different dog came back today and indicated in my kid's room - a dresser. Dresser was completely empty except for some clean clothes in ziplocs. I am about to lose it. I feel like, "How can this be true? 2 (and a half!) treatments and the PCOs find no bugs. We find no bugs. We have never found a bug. But dog indicates. I want to believe the dog, but I also don't want to believe the dog.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 15:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

itchy,

Did the PCO initially treat the kid's room? Was the furniture emptied out, turned over, and sprayed, including the drawers?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 16:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Many appear to be experiencing similar symptoms. Go figure.

4. itchynscratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 17:05:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme, PCO did treat kids room. Furniture was emptied out, supposed vacuumed, steamed and sprayed, but not turned over. I also don't think drawers were taken out. But they say they were.

5. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 17:22:35
    #

Login to Send PM

when the dog indicated the dresser, was it confirmed by the pco finding a sample or anything like that? are there any signs in the dresser (fecal specks etc?) at all? and are the ziplocs in the dresser sealed?

6. itchynscratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 18:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

there are no signs in the dresser. all ziplocs sealed. pco coming tomorrow to retreat room.

7. bbnutz

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 19:13:50
    #

Login to Send PM

HELP! I am losing my mind. I feel like I am the only member in my family seriously going after this BB. I thought I was having a nervous breakdown yesterday. My college-age daughter is in her own world. My 13 year old son helps but, hey: he's a kid. My husband keeps telling me I overreacted and doesn't understand why I insist with have a pro come next week. I am exhausted. I'm tired. I want my life back. I want a good night's sleep. I keep telling myself that it could be: cancer, HIV, death of a loved one or some other really, really awful thing. Still, I'm sickened and growing paranoid. I think about them taking over our whole house and I start to feel like I'm choking. Are there any bug sensing canines in the Wash.DC area where I live??? WHAT PRODUCT WORKS BEST? I'm scared to death to get my dog sick or us!!

8. bbnutz

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 19:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

How can I cope with this emotionally? After several nights of no bits or only one, I got eaten last night. Bites on my arms, near my eybrow, on my elbow. I woke at 4:20 a.m. and FOUND one crawling on my pillow! NEVER saw one in attack before. I killed it and enjoyed every second. This is after intense spraying, vaccuming, steaming, putting vaseline on the metal bed posts, encasing the box & mattrress. HELP!! THE first pro treatment comes next week while we are away. NOW: watch the resort we're staying at have bed bugs! HELP!!!!!!

9. bbnutz

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 19:18:52
    #

Login to Send PM

One last thing: is it "easier" to eradicate these nasty things in a single family home? My heart goes out to everyone in an apartment setting -- what a challenge to deal with!

10. Mausi

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 22:07:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel defeated too. This whole thing has made me anxious and depressed. I discovered my bed bug problem about a month ago (just weeks before I was set to move out). My property manager/PCO has been really slow in responding to the problem. I don't even think the treatments are working. I am going overseas on Saturday (for the whole summer) and just didn't have the time/money/patience to treat everything properly. I decided to throw away everything I own (thousands of dollars worth of furniture...) because I just couldn't take the chance of bringing the problem into my new house.

This evening I talked to one of my friends who is convinced that she got a bed bug bite today. I stayed at her house once a few weeks ago right after I discovered the problem. I was SO careful -- I carefully inspected my bag and steamed it just to be safe and only brought clothes that were fresh from the dryer. But now she thinks I have given her bed bugs (despite the fact that she has found absolutely nothing to indicate their presence and didn't have a single bite until today). The bite she had sounds much more like a mosquito bite, but I just feel sick with anxiety.

I don't think anyone can understand how awful this is unless they have gone through it themselves. I feel so alone in all of this and just want to cry. I wish I could pretend this never happened.

11. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 2:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having a nightmare too that has been going on for months.
    brought my son to a two day holiday at the Hilton Universal city.
    Big splash thought that was expensive until now.
    I had 3 pco treatments.
    Found out that they were at my boyfriends. He live on his boat so that had a thermal treatment that melted his stereo.
    Had a thermal at my place hoping more success with the couch.
    Beds encased thermal treatment, A coupld melting hick ups and oil leaked on the floor.
    Within 3 days I got bit again. At least with the PCOs I didn't get bit for 10 days. the last one was one month until I came home from a boating treatment and they were here again. That is when we started thermal treatments. Hope you are following me.
    All the while up to 6 months now.
    I decide to rent a dog to chech out my son's Fathers place too. Hits on his bed.
    5 more hot spots in my house. So I am finally going to get rid of the couch. OUCH. I do not trust any of this.
    I get bit tonight on my face while resting and watch a show for 45 minutes. So I am Getting ready for a more localized treatment with steam and chemicals.theThermal treatment was very hard to go through. They have an arsenal of equipment that looks like it could blow up the block. Eveyone looks at them wearing their black bad shirt with a picture of a dead bug lying on his back. This has been so upsetting. You want to hide from everyone for a day or two. Really I won't infect you, that is when I started sealing every little crack I could see in this 10 year old condo. All family and friends do not want to talk about and do no believe that treatments aren't complete. My boyfriend does not want anynore contact right now one bug did it for him. He is also furious abut the damage. So I do hope we can get over this. It does not sound good.
    Soy son nor my boyfriend noticed the allergic reactions for awhile but it started happening, we all had a night from twighligh zone. All itchy and shocked. I have been caulkng all window sills and dusting DE.
    I was so painful when the thermal gentlmen kept on commenting that I shoud get my self to a councellor he thought I may in a post stress syndrom, that I maybe seeing bites that aren't there as I drive home from my Mothers or sitting near the dinning table. BB don't bite that way.
    WEll I definitely know that I am in post trauma from months of this. I am not loosing my self though. I cry and feel sorrow and misery but I do see through the steps I need to get through this nightmare
    They are not professionally trained councellors and should not make suggestions other than advice on how to deal with bugs and treatment.

I have seen many castings, one live bug,dots all around my bed and 3 little nynphs that appear light red in colour. I haven't taken time to get them analysd. Just trying to get through my days without a heart attack. But I am strong and do think it through. Just beat beat beat....brummmm
    If only I could smell like Bonnie the Beagle.
    She was delightful, very cuddly and friendly. Sweet little eyes eager to smell and roam around. She stands still on contact and stays there when she detects.
    So what is the best way to proceed. I still don't know.
    I am going to wrap and throuw out the couch. Chemical and steam the areas of concern.
    I think I haven't the stomach for bombs of heat and shirts with bed bugs on them again. And more damage with looks of you are a bit crazy....

12. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 3:33:20
    #

Login to Send PM

heartattack - So are you reporting that you did the thermal treatment and it didn't work? Well that's discouraging, huh?

Sounds like you're working hard and are open to options. You'll get there...

13. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 9:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I can say that you are acting in a way that many bed bug suffers act.
    Hang in there and try not to panic. If you are experiencing skin reactions than document those reactions with a digital camera so you have proof for others to view and more importantly for yourself, than you know that you are not going mad. Forget about support from non-bed bug sufferers for they will never understand unless they become infested.
    As far as partners or spouse you really find out something about this person when you are fighting bugs. Makes you wonder how they would react if a serious illness would happen to you. It makes it harder when you do not have support. Forget about in-laws especially, they tend not to stand behind you and instead they will start to view you as crazy.
    Also some people seem not to mind living with bugs, people have been living with roaches for years before bed bugs and they never do much about the situation to correct it.
    And let us not forget that some people are just lazy.

14. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 21:38:02
    #

Login to Send PM

fight or flight
    Yes it didn't work. He is willing to come back but I may have to pay for more damage if that occurs. You do have to sign that you understand that there may be damage. (two pictures melted, every handle on my blinds bent, the oil from my exercise bike leaked all over the rug and my water cooler bent. Also the boat "well the stereo melted" (they are going to pay for the part that melted) as I mentioned and the varnish covering the wood walls flaked in several areas. Also he is complaining that the walls are now darker in many areas"

At the time, if you do not think it will ever end, you think you may not have any hope and are almost willing to burn the house down...of course I am joking....but it was almost my reality at that time.

Lt. Dan....
    Wow....yes you have gone through this too and I have been reading your notes and your encouragement to and for others. You are truly so kind hearted and experienced in this and your last quotes to me brought tears to my eyes. As I type this to you they are flowing....
    Thank you both for connecting with me.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123