Oh is it crazy or worth it

(8 posts)
  1. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 14:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Months have gone by and I had no signs of the little buggers

I took sealed bags to the park and pulled items out and inspected for bugs. Now. .. The telltale sign that isn't: bites.

I am supposed to move in the next month.

There is a company locally that specializes in heat treatment. In fact, they will bring a POD-like unit for youto fill up then take it. Empty it bake everything and return.

Is it worth it withou any definitive signs?

I am leaning to yes since it may bring piece of mind.
    As an aside. Landlord before refused to believe they could be in Other units. So it is possible it is spreading back to my unit now.

Thoughts?

2. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 20:30:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm actually at home now so I will fill in the details of the above-post.

After reading more recent notes about studies, I think it is probably unlikely that a bedbug survived in the sealed bags since September/October. The apartment I live in is horrendously hot at most times (80 degrees).

The bites freaked me out because I have not had any itchy bites for a long time. And, even then, nothing like I have now since last August/September. I know we can't determine from bites, but, I know that I am a very heavy reactor.

Now, if it was down to chemical treatments, I would say no until a dog and handler confirmed bugs. I suspect that won't happen for some time. This means that I just don't have the time for a new infestation to develop as I have to move soon.

I'm including a link to the company I checked into for reference not for advertising D-Bug Box

I have to move, so, I figure, why not go with a service that can move me and heat everything in the process. Still waiting on pricing, but if it is reasonable, it seems like it will be more than worthwhile. My significant other has much more in the way of possessions than I do, and I really don't want to risk infesting the new place and her things... as it would cost significantly more to treat our new place (much larger/etc).

What do people think of the d-bug box ? Would you make the decision to go with the treatment, even if you can't confirm an infest?

3. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 21:10:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not going to comment on the wisdom of treating without a confirmation, but if you do go that route I would ask about how they treat the storage units themselves.

It sounds like you load the unit, which they haul, then unload your stuff for treatment, and then load back into a unit for transport. My question would be, does the storage unit ever get treated? It sounds like the old moving truck problem where bugs could take up residence in the units and then get back on after the treatment. Maybe they have designated "clean" and "dirty" containers? I don't know, but this seems like a potential treatment fault to me.

4. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2012 5:58:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I had the same question. They say that they have a large chamber that they do hearing in that they put the container in. They then remove the items so everything gets to the proper temp (I guess less chance of cold spots). The pod gets heated with everything else.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2012 8:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I stopped look at this one once I saw the heating and looked at the claims on heating time.

If you look at the work of Stephen Kells you will see that its wrong, in fact extremely wrong for bedbugs.

I would also caution against using any system that does not have good testing data associated with it. I am in the middle of writing up another report of a thermal system which failed.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2012 8:24:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I have not personally heard of D Bug Box. Perhaps others have.

There's a company that makes heated trailers called Insect Inferno which has been reviewed very highly by David Cain who you'll see on the forums.

Heating a pod or trailer can work but it's all about the technology used, the protocol, and the monitoring.

Vikane is also used effectively to treat trucks or pods in many areas.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2012 9:00:15
    #

Login to Send PM

David, thanks for the response. I looked [url http://www.thermalremediation.com/users/thermal_remediation/files/Key%20Findings%20on%20Bed%20Bug%20Behavior%20at%20Lethal%20and%20Sub-Lethal%20Temperatures.pdf at this re heating [/url] and OT reads as if both are effective if done properly. It seems like convective would require more diligence though. Isnt thermapure a convective heat? I have heard of success with that particular process.

I do agree the time could be an issue. I suppose insisting on 90 min at 120 would be safe. If I recall, kells said 90 at 118 is for eggs vs 7 hrs at 113.

8. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 28 2012 17:35:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Dude! My skin still reacts to everything that touches it. A lot of my allergies have calmed down in my new place, but every hair, every insect...

I had bites pop up on me after a lot of fear, but they went down quicker than most bites, mostly in hours, but much quicker than before. I would monitor but don't pay for a treatment if you don't need it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970