Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

"Oh, don't worry, it is JUST bed bugs!"

(18 posts)
  1. zlatik

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 17 2011 23:15:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If you've heard that one before and it made you want to spit fire and throw plasma balls, please join me in my anger and frustration with my family and friends.

"You are obsessing, stop reading that stuff!"
    " Are you sure you have them? Maybe it was just that one"
    "What's the big deal? sleep on the couch"
    "It cannot possibly be that bad! you are over-reacting/imagining it"
    "It has been 1 month/2 weeks/3 days they must be gone now!"
    "There are worst things in this world! Stop being so upset"
    "You need anxiety drugs! You are OCD! You are crazy!"
    My personal favorite: Just get some Reid!!!!

You are welcome to share your favorite ways your family/friends have used to "support" you
    Don't take me wrong, I love my family and friends, but moving across the world/country several times has never made me feel more alone and misunderstood than having bed bugs has.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 11:11:18
    #

Login to Send PM

(Before hearing you out) "You don't have bed bugs".
    "I've run this building for fifty years and we never had bedbugs, so we can't have bed bugs now." (You haven't had a stroke in 75 years, so you can't be having one now.)
    "You're the only one in the building who's said anything."
    "Every apartment in the city has them. Why should I do anything about it?"
    "Just {clean/use this spray/vacuum/put in a bucket of dry ice/wave a uv wand over it/use gasoline}."
    "It's the men you bring in."
    "It's the {pick an ethnic group}.
    And my favorite: "There are no bed bugs in {city}. I know the person who runs the health department". http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/carnival-cruise-lines-inspiration-on-11-11-2010#post-93938

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 12:28:59
    #

Login to Send PM

zlatick,

It is funny what people who don't understand have to say. We actually it is and it isn't. Thank goodness we have this site and many people here who understand what we are going through. It's hard to get the people around you to begin to understand. I suppose there are worse things in life, it's just hard to imagine what could possibly be worse when you are in a situation like this. My husband told me during our infestation that he didn't see what the big deal was. That and the fact that he was getting bitten for 2 months before I discovered them. Ahhh, the joys of not reacting and living with a complete idiot! I wanted to send him to the moon that night!!! I was furious. He slept like a baby every night while we were battling it out and his unsupportive nature during that time still makes my blood boil to this day. Yesterday was 10 months bed bug free for me. Things do and will get better.

4. zlatik

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 19:12:02
    #

Login to Send PM

"There are no bed bugs in {city}. I know the person who runs the health department"

ROFL

There are no terrorists in the USA. I know Janet Napolitano [Secretary of Homeland Security].

This forum is the best thing that happened to me since bed bugs infested and tried to eat away my life.

5. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 20:00:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Speaking as someone who has bedbugs, I have to say that there are worse things in the world. Tsunami, war, nuclear meltdown, Deepwater Horizon, Hurricane Katrina ....

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 1:22:53
    #

Login to Send PM

"You will need to throw out your bed. That will get rid of the problem."

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 9:32:57
    #

Login to Send PM

These are actual quotes

"I stuck it outside in the cold for a few days so the bed is fine."

This from a hotel manager
    "we need the room tonight so we are going to rent it anyway"

From numerous news stories
    " the place (school, hotel, shelter, etc.) was shut down and sprayed Tuesday so Wednesday we will be open again, problem solved."

And finally,

" the Canadian packtite will be ready soon" ;).

(It really will be this time)

8. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 9:38:52
    #

Login to Send PM

That "health department" statement was made to me by the moderator on the Puerto Vallarta board on a very popular travel web site that rates hotels.

What surprises me even more, are the half dozen hotel reviews I've read where people report being bitten or seeing bed bugs. Often times it's casually mentioned in their "5 star review". I've started sending them private messages, warning them that they could have brought the bugs home with them and keep an eye on things. That thought had never occurred to many of them.

"Just put a mattress enclosure on your bed", was our pediatrician's advice.

9. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 9:41:31
    #

Login to Send PM

"I don't care about bed bugs. I'm still coming to visit you", said my mother-in-law.

"Oh, no. That's not a good idea. Sorry. You have no idea how hard it is to get rid of these things", I explained.

10. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 10:29:45
    #

Login to Send PM

"Did someone tell you that you had to quarantine yourself?" When we would explain that we didn't want to visit friends and family until the bugs were gone. (Subtext being that we were crazy and over -reacting, and taking advantage of the situation to get out of family commitments.)

11. HelpMePlz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 16:35:43
    #

Login to Send PM

There are worse things than bed bugs, but that doesn't mean bed bugs aren't bad, or that we're not entitled to be upset about them. Everyone who's had them knows that it really sucks. In my case, I'm living with a lot of worry about them coming back: my high rise has a problem somewhere and they keep getting into my place. When I feel myself getting truly panicky, it does help to remind myself that there ARE much worse things. I do try to keep it in perspective but it can be hard.

People who haven't dealt with them have no idea. I too get questioned about whether "I'm sure" I saw them again, had them, etc. etc.

12. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 17:22:10
    #

Login to Send PM

"Please be sure they won't escape from the jar on your desktop, ok?"

That's what my wife said when I started to keep at home a colony of BBs to study their behaviour.

13. emu2012

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 22:33:06
    #

Login to Send PM

This one came from my aunt. Just tell them to leave. All living things listen and you have to talk to them. oh and good night don't let the bed bug bites ...oops they already did. gotta love my eccentric family.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 3:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 9 hours ago  » 
    That's what my wife said when I started to keep at home a colony of BBs to study their behaviour.

Franco, that one actually makes sense!

15. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 4:54:02
    #

Login to Send PM

So glad somebody finally posted something like this! I thought I was the only person hearing this stuff from people. I heard the typical stuff about bombs/Raid/foggers, but my personal favorite came from my husband's grandma after I explained how much money I was out (only a car infestation, so nothing like the amount most of you have spent) she said, "I don't see why people spend all this money when vinegar will kill anything."

16. MyWorstFear

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 23:43:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 3 days ago  » 

EffeCi - 9 hours ago  » 

Franco, that one actually makes sense!

I can't believe how polite and mellow EffeCi's wife's reaction was. Either that or he's that good in getting rid of bed bugs. I would have quadrupled that jar in plastic bags and disposed of it before you could say "Pronto!" and then screamed obscenities. I know I'm not exactly sane when it comes to even the thought of bed bugs.

17. Hopeful

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 8:27:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Before we actually confirmed the BB in our own apartment ... we were seeing tons of mattresses and various furniture being thrown away in the surrounding dumpsters. When I asked our land lady if anyone had actually reported anything in our building, she of course said no and here's my favorite response from her when I said I was still concerned ... "They won't bite you unless you are completely still for more than 10 minutes." (Are you serious!) and then she reminded me that I shouldn't take any furniture out of the dumpsters ... (Um ... okay) So everyone ... problem solved ... the secret is to keep moving and they can't find you ... LOL

18. BuggingOutinWY

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 20:23:11
    #

Login to Send PM

"It's not my problem that you have bedbugs, you brought them in. I've had no other reports from other tenants." "Can you AT LEAST Ask them? Because maybe they have them and don't know it!" "I'm not going to ask because I don't want people to panic." -Landlady
    "I was gone for a week, what if they crawled across the hall to eat someone else?" (from my bedroom door to the neighbors front door, MAYBE 10 feet). "They only go from bed to bed, that's the only way you can spread them, so as long as someone doesn't sleep in your bed and then in theirs, you can't spread them."
    My boss thought it would be funny, in the middle of me dealing with this both emotionally and financially, to nickname me "Bugsy." (luckily it hasn't stuck).
    Then there are the people who act like it's nothing and I need to just "get over it."
    The others are ones that act, to my face, that they aren't afraid of catching them, but that I find out later have been panicking (even about me riding in their car with them).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,483 posts in 49,273 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk