(3 posts)
  1. ForeignGround

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2014 14:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Here's a little background on my story. (IF YOU JUST WANT TO READ MY ACTUAL QUESTION GO TO "ACTUAL QUESTION") I have been infested with the little bloodsuckers once before (July '11) but have been totally bed bug free and happy ever since! Turns out about a week ago my current roomate tells me that he has bed bugs (likely brought them home from his work in a house as a PCA, where he often sleeps as well, doh!). Upon learning this I immediately call over an inspector and he identifies a few bugs as BBs.

The company who did the inspection (Plunkett's Pest Control here in Minnesota) then offered to set us up with a combo heat treatment+pesticide+DE laying of our apartment for 1600 dollars. Now my landlord thinks we can get it done for cheaper so he called a different company (Alliance Pest Control) in who said they could just heat treat the infested room (so far, my roomate has been the only one ID'd with BBs but I know how fast they can spread and how good they are at avoiding detection) and then they would just spray the rest of the house. Their estimate for this was 900 dollars.

As we are moving out at the end of this month (Aug) I basically just want to do whatever I can to not carry a single bug, instar or egg with me. My roomates can often barely cover rent so I know they will not be able to shell out upwords of 500 dollars to pay for the expensive treatment.

My landlord also seems unwilling to contribute financially in any way (I don't know the laws on this, so if somebody else does I would greatly appreciate the information!). My landlord and roomates are willing to settle for the partial extermination (heat of one room+ spray rest of house). However, I am not in any way willing to settle so this has led me to investigate other options.

ACTUAL QUESTION:

Another company here in MN (and probably the leading BB one) Adam's has a "heat chamber" that they use to treat things off-site of residences and at their headquarters. To me, this seems like the best option. I can move out with all of my stuff and have it treated there and then move it to my parent's house (where I will be living after I move out).

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of out-of-residence treatment? My current PCO tells me they don't really do it, but it seems to me that it would be a much more effective treatment as they could control for factors your could not control for in an apartment (Cool spots in cracks in walls, spreading to neighboring apartments, spreading to our shared basement, etc). This leads me to believe it is my best option for making sure I absolutely do not carry BB with me.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I am also looking to treat my car as I carried a bunch of big pieces of furniture FROM HIS ROOM in my car only ONE DAY before he tells me he has bed bugs! Also, I have two guitars with laminate on them, so I am also wondering if treating the car and guitars with vikane or some other thing separately would be a good idea.

Sorry for the long message, thanks in advance for the input! Let me know if you think I've forgotten any crucial pieces to this puzzle.

-Brad

2. ForeignGround

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2014 19:22:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump

3. bbcomox

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2014 3:22:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I read your actual question and I felt I could provide you with my experience. When I decided to move out of my infested apartment, I hired a PCO who can heated his moving truck at BB killing temperature.

To ensure that I have the best peace of mind possible in moving to a new place BB free, I did the following in addition to hiring this PCO:

- I bought a PackTite Closet, so in preparation for the big move, I began to use the PackTite Closet to heat treat everything that I could.

- I placed my PackTited stuff in large Ziploc bags.

- During the move, I loaded the moving truck.

- Before I left the apartment, I changed into clean set of clothes and shoes, and placed the "dirty" stuff into a Ziploc bag for treatment.

- Once I arrived to my new place, the PCO heat treated the truck.

This worked for me, as I have been BB free for 9 months now. Best of luck to you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug