Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Office Chair Moved Outside for Most of Winter; Bedbug Free?

(7 posts)
  1. HopeTheyAreNotBedBugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Apr 18 2019 10:45:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved an office chair that might have had bed bugs (see the extended explanation below) out onto a balcony in Chicago in mid-January wrapped in plastic construction disposal bags. The chair is still sitting on balcony and I feel that I need to decide what to do with it, either trash it (~$350 or bring it back inside and use it). I am worried with the warming temperatures some new bug, pest, bird, or rodent might try to move into it if I leave it out much longer. The office chair was outside during the polar vortex when the temperature dipped below zero degrees F for probably 2 days. Otherwise the temperature has been varying above and below 32 degrees F for most of the winter.

Is the chair likely safe to bring inside? Is there anything else I can do to rid the chair of bugs (bedbugs or otherwise)? Moving the chair outside was correlated with me not receiving any more bites. I know technically it takes 4 days of below zero temperatures to ensure that bedbugs are killed.

Extended Backstory:
    I was having bites over the course of a month and half where the cause of the bites was never identified positively as bedbugs or any other cause despite one visit from two different pcos and a dog certified for bedbug detection. The bites seemed to be associated with me working very late in the evening in my office and sitting in my office chair. When the chair was bagged in construction plastic bags and placed on the balcony the bites seemed to stop. (Some of the original backstory is here https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/cant-figure-out-what-is-biting)

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Apr 18 2019 10:50:26
    #

Login to Send PM

As bed bugs were not discovered by the PCOs and the dog and yourself I don't see any problem with bringing the chair inside.

3. HopeTheyAreNotBedBugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Apr 18 2019 12:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 hour ago  » 
    As bed bugs were not discovered by the PCOs and the dog and yourself I don't see any problem with bringing the chair inside.

I agree we never determined the cause of the bites. It just seemed to be highly correlated that when the chair was moved out the bites stopped.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Apr 18 2019 12:26:29
    #

Login to Send PM

It happens, especially if you intentionally moved the chair to get rid of whatever was causing the skin irritations.
    I once placebo'd myself with Bayer Children's Aspirin successfully for three years. I would get ocular migraines during our busy season from September until Thanksgiving. I figured out that is was stress related and my idea was to thin the blood slightly to remove some pressure. So Monday through Friday I would take one child's dose Aspirin every morning and it nearly completely cured me of the ocular migraines. I would get them once a month instead of three times a week. Years later I was talking to a neuroscience friend and described my miracle cure which he quickly debunked and pointed out my flawed logic. His father had suffered the same condition and he was unable to figure anything out medically to relieve the condition.
    The brain is a crazy work of art.

5. HopeTheyAreNotBedBugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Apr 18 2019 13:14:14
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 46 minutes ago  » 
    It happens, especially if you intentionally moved the chair to get rid of whatever was causing the skin irritations.
    I once placebo'd myself with Bayer Children's Aspirin successfully for three years. I would get ocular migraines during our busy season from September until Thanksgiving. I figured out that is was stress related and my idea was to thin the blood slightly to remove some pressure. So Monday through Friday I would take one child's dose Aspirin every morning and it nearly completely cured me of the ocular migraines. I would get them once a month instead of three times a week. Years later I was talking to a neuroscience friend and described my miracle cure which he quickly debunked and pointed out my flawed logic. His father had suffered the same condition and he was unable to figure anything out medically to relieve the condition.
    The brain is a crazy work of art.

I am 99% sure they weren't skin irritations as there was a definite hole in the skin and welt from a bite.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Apr 18 2019 13:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I use the terms "skin irritation" and "skin lesion" to cover all skin conditions coming from within or without.
    From where I am I cannot identify a puncture from an eruption so I don't even try. I skip just about every photo that a forum member posts if it's a picture of their skin. Without a physical examination there is no way for me to know much about what you are experiencing, so I try and use general terms to describe anyone's skin issues.
    If I'm unable to confirm a bite I am equally unable to deny a bite; I just need to come up with clearer terminology to reduce confusion.

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Apr 18 2019 18:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I never saw a puncture mark to my numerous bites (2 infestations).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19