Odds of getting bedbugs in my car?

(6 posts)
  1. ry877

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 22:17:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Today when I walked out of the gym an Indian guy whom I knew but were not familiar with asked for a ride to his office. I said: sure. As soon as I said that, I immediately regretted it. Because about two years I lived in an apartment in an apartment complex. My neighbor was an Indian guy, and he got bed bugs in his apartment, and they somehow crawled into my apartment from his. I was bitten for a whole freaking month before I realized what bite me. Long story short, I eventually moved out of that place. So I was really concerned that I would get bed bugs by giving this guy a ride. Nonetheless, I already said yes, so I kept my words and took him to my office by car.

I read stories of bed bugs infesting cars, buses and even airplanes, so right now I'm very sacred. From my traumatic experience with bed bugs, I know for a fact that once they infest my car, they will eventually be brought into my current apartment as well, and I will end up moving out again. That's an absolute nightmare.

So on our way I asked the guy where he lived. He told me his place, which was actually in an area known for bed bug infestations in my town, and was pretty close to where I used to live. So I was scared even more. What if a bed bug got into one of the pockets of his clothes, and ended up in my car? Even if there was no bed bug in his clothes, what if his clothes had bed bug eggs on it? Those eggs could be left in my car and bed bug nymphs could came out.

What are the odds that my car or apartment will be infested? In other words, how likely can bed bugs be spread from someone's clothes?

2. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 3:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

That all to common fear of eggs being spread by people and animals is greatly hyped up and over-exaggerated...it is nearly impossible to dislodge bedbug eggs from the object they were originally laid on, as they are firmly cemented on the object by the female bug. It is however more common for adults and nymphs to hitch a ride with someone, especially if the person is living in a heavily infested environment or has recently visited one.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 3:54:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to add that i am not aware of any racial probability with bedbugs, in my own experience with bugs in my building bedbugs don't discriminate based on race (Unlike roaches seem to do, but that's a topic for another day), but they definitely do prefer druggies, winos and hoarder types, in spite of the often used claim that bedbugs don't care how dirty and careless a person is.

4. ry877

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 11:57:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply. I was not saying that bedbugs were most likely to be affiliated with certain races, I was only talking about my last experience with bedbugs and from whom I got them. And I agree with you that contrary to popular belief, most of those unfortunate folks I know who had bedbugs do not have high standards of hygiene.

5. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 4:18:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Exactly, as although we now live in a society of "change" where everyone seems to be in a state of politically correct "zombification" and we can no longer stereotype and profile anyone no matter how up front they are in displaying the negative behaviors that are stereotyped it is an undeniable fact that although anyone can GET bedbugs it is the types i mentioned earlier that have that "I don't give a sh#t" attitude and allow their infestations to spiral out of control and become a problem for their neighbors.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 13:16:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you're at a relatively low risk.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie