Odd situation.

(10 posts)
  1. DustinS85

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 18 2013 7:33:06
    #

Login to Send PM

About 3 weeks ago I saw a bedbug in my daughter's bedroom, and looked everywhere on our beds, and saw not a single sign of them. Then the next week we saw one on our sheets, after that we saw one by the couch full of blood, and that is when I called our landlord of the apartment. They sent out exterminators, and guess what? They too saw no signs of bed bugs. They sprayed Tepid around the beds, and couch, and put down these traps under our couch's legs, and bed legs. And guess what? There is no bugs in these traps, and we saw absolutely none anywhere since they came. I know this sounds like good news, but I always read when you see one that means there are hundreds where that one came from, but we don't have signs of them besides the 4 we saw over a 3 week time frame. Seems odd to me. What is your take on my situation? Why did no one see signs of them besides the random single bug here, and there? No bite marks on me, my fiance, or my kids. I am weirded out by this. Could they be infesting a neighbor, and be randomly coming into our apartment? I just don't get how we can have them, but have no signs of them. Even the exterminator was confused, and he said "I guess you got the most lucky infestation I ever saw."

2. needrest

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 8:39:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, You should not treat without 100% confirmation. Next time you find one take a pic and send it in. Do you have any bird nests close by? How about bats? I read that bat bugs look very similar to bedbugs. Also read batbugs will go back to roost so they won,t be leaving signs. I,m no expert, just throwing out a couple ideas.

3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 19:34:31
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like the bugs gained entry to your place very recently and have not yet infested it. I have never heard of bed bugs wandering in from next door and then going back, so that couldn't be it. They could possibly be bat or bird bugs, which i know in the case of bat bugs are very closely related to bed bugs and will bite people when hungry but will not live for long or reproduce in human environments. You and your family may also not react to bed bug bites, in which case you wouldn't know if they were biting you or not.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. DustinS85

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 19:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I had confirmation from my landlord, and the exterminators as well. So, yes it is bed bugs. I just felt it odd that there were no signs of them besides the occasional bug. Is this common? I always heard that when you see one that means there are hundreds where that one came from.

5. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 20:13:27
    #

Login to Send PM

It is common to only see a few here and there, as they tend to live in groups deep in crevices and folds and normally only a small number of bugs leave these harborages to look for food at a single time. It could be that you do in fact have lots of them but the exterminator does not know the best places to look for them, most likely because he doesn't have much experience in dealing with bed bugs, which is not unheard of considering that this latest bed bug plague in the U.S. is fairly recent. A knowledgeable exterminator should have also informed you that many people do not react to bites, which often gives people a false sense of security when they are in fact infested with bugs.

6. DustinS85

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 20:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I never asked about bites. They put these slip covers over our box spring and mattress. I only have a metal frame, and no head board. He then sprayed the whole frame with Temprid, and put these puck things with powder under every leg, and wheel of the bed. He said that these will catch them if they crawl from the ground to come feed. And there is still 0 bugs in the pucks they put there. And we haven't saw a single one since the exterminator came. They looked all over the frame, and wood. I am confused on this one.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 20 2013 2:38:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Most exterminators who come to your home probably can't tell the difference between bat bugs/ bird bugs and bed bugs. Neither, probably, can you. It's very subtle.

I'm not an expert but you said several bugs were found with no other obvious signs, and the reason people are asking is because bat bugs are often spotted without the obvious signs of their presence (fecal stains, harborages on the bed).

So this could actually be the problem. Getting a sample to an entomologist may help you determine this (the PCO you're using may have access to one but I doubt one came to your home; you can also find them in university extension or county extension centers).

Also, a close search for bird or bat nests in or on the home, in use or abandoned, is worth the effort.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. DustinS85

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 20 2013 9:54:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I am on third floor of an apartment though. So searching for nests isn't feasible. Plus we have saw them biting us, and filling up, plus with the ones we spotted being on our beds, and couch it seems that this would be bed bugs. Also one of the 5 we saw was a nymph stage baby. And from what I read Bat Bugs won't breed around humans, so there shouldn't have been a nymph. Where would I be able to look to know 100% for sure what they are. I feel with all that stuff I mentioned that bed bug is the obvious classification of what we have.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 21 2013 3:21:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert but bat bugs seem rare in an apartment. Possibly bird bugs but also rare (unless they're nesting on or near windows, AC, etc.).

I think it may also happen -- this sort of odd pattern -- if an attached neighbor self-treated (perhaps with foggers) and they quickly dispersed. That might mean you see bed bugs which haven't really set up shop fully.

I'll leave further commentary for the experts.

10. DustinS85

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 21 2013 7:26:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 4 hours ago  » 
    I'll leave further commentary for the experts.

Cool, thank you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams