Odd shaped bed - how do I wrap it?

(5 posts)
  1. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 16:21:56
    #

Login to Send PM

No clue. wish I knew of a way.....

i'll be thinking about it though. somewhere, someone has to be creative enough to figure it out.

buggedoutbeyond - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have a round bed diameter 84" and 12" deep from Ikea. The bed's legs screw directly into the boxspring/mattress. I'm trying to figure out what would be the best method to wrap it AND also have the legs on so we can isolate the bed by keeping it off the floor.
    No existing mattress covers exist for these dimensions. No one does custom bedcovers either - I already emailed and asked companies about this possibility.
    People have suggested plastic wrap and others plastic sheeting with duct tape. Anyone have any ideas what the best way of wrapping the bed?

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 16:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

European design beds with attached legs are difficult to encase compared to the traditional US bed sets consisting of a mattress & box springs with an external metal frame.

Modifying two eighty four inch long covers..., joining them with tightly sewn seams... and screwing the legs on through the modified encasement is my only idea.

You could utilize a set of Climb Ups to isolate the legs from the room or BB Alerts as a monitoring device.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 19:25:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you being professionally treated? And if so, what does your PCO say?

I only ask because the use of encasements is somewhat debated within the bed bug community.

Encasements can be useful in terms of protecting the bed so you can sleep during treatment, and they can make bedding that isn't already infested easier to inspect.

However, encasements also don't kill bed bugs. They simply trap them inside. Given how long bed bugs can survive without feeding, encasements make for a very long period of time that you have to keep the bed totally sealed within those encasements before the bugs die. As a result, not all PMPs use them, and some design their treatment methods in ways that mean using one may make treatment less successful. As a result, the first person I would talk to is your pest control professional if you haven't.

4. buggedoutbeyond

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 21:58:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually found a mattress cover for my round bed at http://www.waterbedmattresses.com/

However, I still have to figure out how to deal with the european style bed legs that screw directly into the bottom of the mattress.

Should I just cover the mattress and leave it on the floor or should I cut holes for the legs in the mattress cover and tape up the gap that would leave?

Thank for your all of your helpful replies so far - so glad to have this resource during this troubling time.

5. buggedoutbeyond

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 23:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I will check with my pco when/how to employ the mattress encasement - thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14