Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

odd question about bedbugs getting out of plastic bags

(13 posts)
  1. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 17:54:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I would have answered no to this question but I am wondering if there is ANY way that bedbugs can "punch" holes in thin plastic bags? I know they do not have "teeth" or mouthes - but can they otherwise "punch their way out of a thin plastic bag?

I know this sounds like an odd question but there were 5 bags of stuff that I sealed and placed high up on unused and really inaccessable shelves in my closet. they were just sitting there untouched for nearly a year -- now mind you I had these bags in 3 different closet shelves

I know that I sealed them up becasue I did so out of fear and distrust of the effectiveness of the fumigation that I had last year - so they were sealed

Now I am getting ready to move again and I have been heating all my stuff in the Packtite - so I get the bags down and there are small holes all over them!!

these are 5 bags (tall kitchen bags) in 3 closets- how could that be????

Until recently I have been having conisistent problems with bites - and have seen the telltale fecal signs on my box spring encasement

so my question is - and I know this is an odd question_ but do bedbugs have any way of "punching holes' in very thin plastic bags?

if not - what could have happened to the bags that were placed sealed on a high shelf and then taken down a year later full of holes?!!!!

please advise!!!

2. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 21:03:36
    #

Login to Send PM

wow i hadn't heard of this before. my instinct is to say no, that bedbugs couldn't have caused the holes, but i must be honest that i don't really know that to be the case. i'm trying to think of what might chew holes like that. moths? ants? but surely you would have seen a few of them, if they were the cause.

maybe the plastic just dried out over that period and began to break apart? i guess it depends on whether they are pinprick holes or larger ones...

3. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 21:46:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I know - I would say the same thing but I am really freaked out by this - the holes are about half of dime sized and they do look like small holes and not like tears or cracks in all the bags - but only on the bottom of the bags

I don't know I am freaked out by it - so I sealed the bags up again in thick contractor bags and will heat treat as soon as I can

4. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 21:51:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele

Really sorry to hear that you are still experiencing bites!

I have never heard of bed bugs making holes in plastic garbage bags... let alone dime sized holes in a kitchen trash bag... Have you ruled out rodents?

5. DangerousDave

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 22:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele, sorry to hear about your situation.

Have you considered the possibility, if there were bedbugs in the bags, someone else chewed it's way in to get them... something that does bite and make holes!?
    I say it more jokingly, but anything is possible, right?

6. DangerousDave

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 22:07:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I really *hope* you don't have bedbugs again, Adele.

7. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 22:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

HI Doug - since I've started my moving preparations - ie heat treating my belongings and steaming everything I've had an enormous amount of relief - so I am hoping that I am at the end of this

As for the bags - I can't rule out rodents but I've never seen any

i thought of rodents as well because the holes look like something a small mouse would make - but I've just never encountered any mice at all

And I have little yappy dogs that any slight movement would send them into a tizzy

But that said - I guess it could really be lots of things that could cause holes - and most of them I hope I don't have or I want to get rid of them!!!

8. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 22:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

DAve - I have so much stuff here that I don't think I ever really got rid of them but instead kept them "under control" with constant steaming

regarding the holes in the bags - well something made those holes whether to get in or out - the holes were not there when I put the bags on the highest most inaccessible shelf and let sit there for a year

But whatever may be in the bags will die a painful hot death as soon as I get the stuff into my trusty Packtite

9. Traumabugged

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 13:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry to here that , Adele. I have no experience with this but hope they would not be there. Hang on!

10. FuminOverBBs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 30 2010 13:11:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I just happened to see this thread & wanted to confirm that Adele's situation is not unique...I just experienced this last week when I was exposed to bed bugs in a hotel. I unfortunately had my purse & backpack on the bed...and early morning I found 2 on the comforter & 1 on my sheets. Found a very tiny thing the night before when getting into bed but assumed it was some other insect....wished I'd inspected it a lot closer cuz I could've saved myself a lot of stress (and itching!) Anyway, when I got home I took everything out of my purse and put it into a regular grocery store type of plastic bag...and did the same thing for the contents of my backpack (this took 2 bags). I washed & dried my backpack and bought a brand new purse (threw the other one away as I found a BB on it when I was driving home from the hotel!) As I was putting things back into my purse, I found that the bottom of the bag had small holes, some a little larger....yet the backpack bags didn't have any holes. Of course that creeped me out thinking they got out & now they're in my garage! Everyone I talked to thought there was just no way that they could've gotten through the bags....but it's too coincidental that this is the exact same thing happening in situations where there were bugs present. Okay...that's it. Oh...anyone have any ideas on how to treat a car??? They're still in there....I got attacked 5 days after checking out of the hotel. I left at 4:30am so I figured they were out wandering in the car....no other bites before then, though.

11. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 30 2010 19:42:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, that's really weird about the holes. Maybe one of the experts will come back and explain what creature could do that.

12. BugSick

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 6:53:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the same experience too. I double bag in plastic but to my horror, I found little holes round the bottom too. What is worst is I took this bag to my new place.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 7:54:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I would have answered no to this question but I am wondering if there is ANY way that bedbugs can "punch" holes in thin plastic bags? I know they do not have "teeth" or mouthes - but can they otherwise "punch their way out of a thin plastic bag?
    No. It's physically impossible for bed bugs to tear plastic, even the thinnest plastic. As Doug pointed out, there must be some other factor involved.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,395 posts in 48,808 topics over 150 months by 21,434 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson