Obviously I'm missing something

(8 posts)
  1. madanderson

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 19:38:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to start with, we can't afford PCO so struggling with DIY. On 12/30/16 I saw 1 bug on my daughter's bed. Pulled back the blankets and found a cluster of bugs. Pulled the sheet off the mattress and found groups in 2 corners of it and behind the curtain. The bed was against the curtain. In all there was probably 30ish bugs. I was so freaked out that I didn't examine them to see what sizes they were. I knew they were there so I carefully bagged up all the linens and straight to the washer on hot. I was disgusted so I threw away the box spring (I did slash it up with a knife). I carefully threw away the majority of her toys and clothes out of panic. After clearing her room, I vacuumed every square inch of the room. Ceiling, walls, baseboards, mattress, frame, you get the idea. Then I wiped down everything with alcohol. Then I sprayed everything with Harris bed bug and egg spray. I went room to room and did the exact same thing to all of the rooms.
    We found 1 bug in our room, 1 in the living room, and 3 in my boys room. Each room got the same treatment. The living room is central to the house and all bedrooms open to the living room. All mattresses got encasements. Every single night I vacuum and clean 1 room. Every other night is my daughter's room since that's where they started. I haven't found any bugs in any other room. I still find 1 every couple nights in her room.
    Yesterday we pulled her carpet up, thinking they were under it. We found nothing, not even traces. However at my 1AM check (I check all rooms at 1AM and 4AM every night) I found 3. 1 on each window and 1 on the ceiling.
    I forgot to mention the CONSTANT laundering. New sheets every other day for everybody, clothes and coats in the dryer before bed so they are safe for the morning to change and run out.
    Yesterday I also got DE. I put it in the outlets and light switch covers.
    I am the only one with bites. I find new ones almost daily. My sanity left about a week ago. What more can I do? Please, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 19:48:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you're doing a lot of work. Good job!

Cimexa's supposed to be more effective than DE. It's not very expensive. You can put it around bed and furniture legs and around the baseboards. (This is easier if you have carpet.) You could also put it around the tops of box springs. Just rinse and re lotion your hands if you come into contact with it. Then you have to just make sure the beds stay clear, but that's what you're doing now, it sounds like. Just kill them when they try to come eat. You can dust cracks and crevices in couches, too, with a paintbrush. Use a mask, then let it settle for a few hours before using the room, if possible.

Reading about this study may be helpful. http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/

3. madanderson

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 20:55:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! That was very informative. I'm going to stop using DE and get Cimexa.

4. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 19 2017 1:10:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I second the Cimexa. I'm DIY also so I'll just jot down some thoughts from reading your post. I apologize if it's in random order. You are doing so much already, you will win this battle!

Alcohol is only useful for direct contact on a bug, it isn't effective after it dries, and it should be 91% (70% works but 91% for sure kills instantly). I use alcohol and it works. I also use Bayer Home Pest plus Germ Killer as a direct contact spray. It works, too.
    https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-a-product/insects-pests/home-pest-plus-germ-killer-indoor-outdoor-insect-killer

I am also using Harris as a residual in cracks and furniture but I use the "black label" for pyreth. resistant bbugs. You know, just in case.
    https://pfharris.com/products/bed-bugs/black-label/

I keep reading that Temprid and Bedlam are great but I haven't looked into them because what I'm doing is working. To be honest, I think the Cimexa is the one doing most of the work.

Cimexa is used along wallboards, cracks and crevices, in faucet cabinets, outlets, under the bed, on the frame, on furniture, anywhere I can use. I go a little ott with it, I admit. I have a love-hate relationship with Cimexa because it works, gives me peace of mind, is easy to apply but it gets on everything!

Nuvan strips can be used to take care of bugs in items which can't be washed or otherwise treated, such as computers, luggage, etc. Put it in a container or bag with the item and let it sit for a week. They can also be used to treat the vehicle over several days not driving it.

Interceptor traps can be used on beds, couches, furniture, chairs, etc.

Don't forget to check power strips for bbugs.

Bed bugs can't climb smooth packing tape so you can use that as a barrier to prevent them climbing on things. I use it on furniture legs and cables going to the desktop. I've read that people will use it on the wall to prevent bugs reaching the ceiling and dropping onto the bed that way. A strip of painters tape first, then a strip of packing tape on top.

Your desk and chair can harbor bbugs as can other furniture. I found a harborage under a leg of my desk and I threw out my rolling chair and replaced it with a chair I can put interceptor traps under the legs. I spend a lot of time working at my desk so I isolated it from the floor, wrapped cables with packing tape, and I sit with my feet in plastic bins so bbugs can't climb up. (I probably don't need to do that anymore at this point but I'm still in combat mode.)

Be sure to move all the beds away from the walls. It wasn't clear in your description if you had done that.

Have you checked the window cracks and framework for bbugs? Inside the curtain rod? Curtains? Behind pictures and posters? All furniture? Check everywhere.

Bbugs get in bags, books, DVD cases, too.

This isn't well liked by the professionals here, but I will share in case you are having sleepless nights like I was. I draped a 4mil sheet of painters plastic over my entire bed like a table cloth, making sure it didn't touch walls, floor, or furniture, and then put blankets over that to sleep on. It stopped the bites immediately and I was able to sleep rather than pace the floors all night.

In my signature below are links to some YouTube channels that have great DIY videos.

Account closed
  5. madanderson

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 19 2017 20:54:27
    #

Login to Send PM

We used caulk around all the baseboards, windows, doors and any cracks we found. We actually found a huge gap between the wall and our daughter's door frame so we filled it with expanda foam then caulk over that.
    Our bed and all furniture are pulled away from the walls. Nothing is touching.
    I'm going to be ordering Cimexa this weekend.
    I'm really at a loss as to why we keep finding one bb every night.
    I am curious and would appreciate input on why there was a bb on the ceiling the other day. Why would it be up there? There's nothing above the ceiling in her room except for an outdoor patio that no one uses.

6. madanderson

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 19 2017 20:55:07
    #

Login to Send PM

We used caulk around all the baseboards, windows, doors and any cracks we found. We actually found a huge gap between the wall and our daughter's door frame so we filled it with expanda foam then caulk over that.
    Our bed and all furniture are pulled away from the walls. Nothing is touching.
    I'm going to be ordering Cimexa this weekend.
    I'm really at a loss as to why we keep finding one bb every night.
    I am curious and would appreciate input on why there was a bb on the ceiling the other day. Why would it be up there? There's nothing above the ceiling in her room except for an outdoor patio that no one uses.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 19 2017 21:10:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It was most likely on the ceiling because of your use of aerosol based products which are considered a no - no for bed bugs.

Please spend some time tooling at the static content of the site for accurate information and detailed notes on what to do and what's best not to do.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  8. madanderson

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 19 2017 22:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

David-
    Is there anything specific that I am doing that is a "no-no"?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,647 posts in 50,007 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop