O CAPTAIN BED MY CAPTAIN BED!

(24 posts)
  1. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 10:27:49
    #

Login to Send PM

O CAPTAIN BED! My Captain bed! my fearful night is done; The dawn is near, the bells I hear are coming from the clock, tick tock , the people all awakening, But O the bleeding drops of red left behind by the bed bugs that sail upon my bed.
    Unfortunately and having grown up with one I think captain beds are great BUT not in an age of bed bugs. In one of the posts the comment is made about which type of furniture is bed bug proof. I am here to say that captains beds are among the worst as they are made of wood which bbs love, have many voids and sheltered areas and must be turned over with draws removed in order to treat and then re treat. If you are going to buy a bed captains beds and platform beds are not good choices in terms of bed bugs. Oh and Walt, sorry about the O Captain part.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 10:32:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, captain's beds are trouble.

Saw a discarded good condition Gothic Cabinet Craft captian's bed (seen these before) with a nice looking mattress and nice looking sofa on my block, where people don't commonly discard nice-condition furniture, and a bell went off in my head.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 14:15:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I once treated the same Italianesque bed in 3 different properties on the same street when I worked for a local authority. As I did general pest control in those days I was able to rely upon my trustie rat bat to make sure that it did not find its way into a fourth.

With the bed dispatched I did wonder how so many people could have fallen in love with the same white monstrosity of a bed. There is no accounting for taste, the bed bugs were happy to feed on all three families.

David

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 14:39:13
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL David.

I can imagine you trying to explain beating the snot out of a piece of furniture was pest control and not vandalism to a passing policeman.

Jim

5. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 14:51:30
    #

Login to Send PM

It's OK Jim, I did not want to spread the infestation further so I smashed it in the room and gave them some bags to load the pieces into while I treated the other room.

The deal was they slept on blankets on the floor in the treated room and did not get a bed till they were clear of BB's.

The penalty for not following instructions was to need a passing ambulance before the policeman. It’s amazing how persuasive you can be at 6 foot 2 carrying a baseball bat.

David

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 16:13:30
    #

Login to Send PM

HaHa Dave,

Did you explain what you were gonna do before you pulled out the bat, bat in hand, or in between whacks? I picture this and smile.....

“I have *WHACK!* sprayed this *WHACK!* thing in *WHACK!* 2 other houses and *WHACK!*
    it keeps spreading *WHACK!* bloody bugs! *WHACK! WHACK WHACK!!!!*

That's better then, I'll go treat the rest of the house now.”

Jim

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 19:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, and I thought the NYC PCOs were tough!

8. buggedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 15:56:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Are captain beds really a lost cause? Is there really no way to salvage them?

9. homelessartist

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 16:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

The big problem with captains' beds is you don't just get an infested bed, ALL THE STUFF you store in the bed gets infested too. I abandoned such a bed a few weeks ago, along with my apartment and the rest of my furniture, but what really upset me was that I'd stored my backup hard drive in one of the drawers. Said hard drive is now sealed in a ziploc in a friend's freezer, but I don't know when it will be safe to use again.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 23:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

buggedoff,

Think about the drawers. Did they have cracks where the wood joined? Or screws? Bed bugs can live in those cracks. It's difficult to detect them. They can live under the drawers or bed or in the frame. If you completely disassemble such a bed (including making the drawers into flat pieces, if they are assembled from flat pieces, and every piece is treated, this is the only way to be sure there are no bed bugs in there.

They can live in any bed frame, but a captain's bed is nearly impossible to thoroughly inspect and treat.

11. anamorphosis

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Sep 14 2008 23:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

And this is why I am in the process of getting rid of my much beloved solid oak captain's bed and opting for something much cheaper and metal from Ikea.

12. cantstopscratching

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 1:03:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought for sure I would have to get rid of my captains bed after finding a bb in it, but both PCO's said I didn't have to. They found no bbs or signs. They steamed and treated the whole bed- turned it upside down, took all the drawers out...

But, after reading these posts, I'm thinking of getting rid of it anyway. (Sad, because not that much space for a dresser) Ironically, my PCO said that HE has a captains bed...

13. hoo2677

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 8:35:21
    #

Login to Send PM

You can buy plastic sheeting and when you take apart your bed IN YOUR HOUSE you can wrap the individual pieces and duct tape them. I had 1800 junk take mine away, actually they dismantled it, wrapped and taped it for me, then took it away. Of course I told them on the phone it was a bed bug problem, so they could know in advance. They were, surprisingly, awesome about the entire job. Very conscientious. This is how you keep the problem from spreading on the street.

14. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 8:59:17
    #

Login to Send PM

This is nice to hear that there are companies out there that do this sort of thing now. It was unheard of 2 yrs ago. Now if we can get the word out to people that these type of services exist, and encourage their use, THAT would be a good thing!

15. cantstopscratching

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 9:36:47
    #

Login to Send PM

PCO just came and is certain that the bed is not a problem. Did not find bb feces, etc. Said the steam would have chased them out of the cracks. But, I'm still not comfortable. Only slept 3 hours last night.

16. Emmm

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 10:12:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Gosh, that must be a nightmare. I have a simple wooden Ikea bed, and I'm wondering if I made a mistake in keeping it. Good luck!

17. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 12:23:39
    #

Login to Send PM

The issue with captains beds is that they offer so much shelter in terms of seams and crevices combined with the facts that you have to turn them over to treat them and you have draws full of clothes, papers, memorabilia, books, magazines, blankets, toys, pillows,
    whips, chains and what have you. If you steam and dust properly with DE or Tri Die and then seal it at up you may be able to compensate.. The post was just that if your out shopping fr a new bed and you want to minimize the impact bbs could have a captains bed would not be your best choice.

18. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 14:34:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw one made with OSB boards and all those chips combined with the inherent construction made it a BB haven.

I'll go so far as to say anything made with OSB boards should be avoided. It is an indefensible material.

Jim

19. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 15:18:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim - what is OSB board?

20. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 15:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The one that looks like glued together hunks of bark in the pictures on this page.

http://www.alsfordtimber.com/Products/Sheet-Materials/index.html

Jim

21. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 15:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

thnx - is that the same thing as particle wood? that composite wood is used to make the do-it-your'self furniture from Ikea, right?

what a nightmare - I'll keep that in mind if I am ever in the market to buy furniture again

I don't have much wood furniture left now - just a few pieces but they are solid wood and easily steamed - the rest of my furniture is metal, leather, stone and glass - all easily steamed

you know the interesting thing is that Ialso still have some chairs (one very plushy chair) that NEVER got infested - I think it was because I never sat on them or was anywhere near them for the last year

but anyway - thanks for the info

22. NJ-BITES

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 12:43:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Read my personal battle for my storage type bed.

HERE> http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bugs-in-a-waterbed-lt0gt-lt0gt

Under the bed dresser frame protection map
    http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp22/freedom1234X/framemap.jpg

Protection map for the platform, liner, mattress etc parts
    http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp22/freedom1234X/framemap2.jpg

23. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 14:12:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Everyone should note most of this thread is more than two years old from April 2009 or nearly three years old from August 2008.

24. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 20:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep the original post is almost two years old but the message still stands, captains beds, platform beds and other similar sleeping platforms still present as difficult to inspect and treat.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19