Nymph questions

(2 posts)
  1. feastedupon

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 17:32:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I have a couple of questions about what I assume are nymphs. I'd found 2 adult bugs prior to the PCO visit (Dec 29), and one was determined to be female.

I haven't had any follow-up sightings of adults in my climb-ups, but assuming the female was laying eggs in the vicinity, I think the eggs have been hatching. My bed was isolated/covered before the PCO visit (simple metal frame), and they're pretty sure the adults found their way in as a result of the renovation upstairs.

I received a couple of single bites the following week, and have found and taped some specimens of what I think are 1st instar nymphs. My hope is that any egg activity was confined to the bed area, and that I'm now dealing with a (hopefully) contained area of nymphs.

1. What is the most effective way to ensure the nymphs are eradicated?
    2. If they're indeed confined to the bed area, do you schedule a follow-up PCO visit?
    3. Are nymph bites more likely to be single (I did read http://bedbugger.com/2007/04/18/bitefest1/)?
    4. If using 2 parts alcohol to 1 part water, should I keep spraying this in the metal frame?
    5. Should I also spray any parts of the (covered) mattress or box spring?
    6. Are there other actions I can take?

Thanks!

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 12:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I would start by getting some passive monitors. Place them under the edge of the mattress. Bedbugs really like them and should move in if there are any around. I don't recomend spraying anything around your bed. It often has the effect of dispersing the bugs. You are better off letting them aggregate close to the bed (ideally in a monitor), rather than potentially creating a more diffuse and difficult to treat problem.

After installing the monitors, don't do anything for about a week and then open them up and see if you find anything. Hopefully you have nipped the problem in the bud.

Regarding bites, I regularly feed bedbug cultures on myself and I get exactly the same reaction regardly of size.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982