Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Nymph question

(9 posts)
  1. diesel

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 13 2011 21:37:31
    #

Login to Send PM

So I decided to put out some glue traps. They are the kind you can catch flys with on the window very skinny and clear and I put them around all 4 legs of all of the beds in the house and downstairs under the couch. I caught another flour beetle, dang I wish I could figure those things out as well. Anyway, I was inspecting the trap it is clear and if you get a finger stuck in there it pulls the skin off. Anyway, i was looking and I saw this tiny white thing. I thought the early nymphs were clear, this was more white like a piece of computer paper or something not clear at all, i can tell you this because the glue trap is transparent and I could see the white,but it was small, when I tried to magnify it times 2 I still could not make it out. I only have a 2x magnifer but there was no way with this thing, to small. Could they be this small? What about the white color. I could not even make out if it was a bug of any kind. Should I be able to with a magnifier at 2x? Any thoughts are appreciated. By the way, I do not have BB's that I know of just trying to be vigilant.

2. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 9:15:38
    #

Login to Send PM

You should try to take a photo so that the experts here can ID.

3. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 10:25:10
    #

Login to Send PM

OhNoes - 1 hour ago  » 
    You should try to take a photo so that the experts here can ID.

What OhNoes said, plus in the meantime you can go on Google and type « "bed bug nymph" », including the quote marks to keep the three words together, then click « Images » at the top and you'll get...

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22bed%20bug%20nymph%22&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=762&bih=815

...which is a lot of photos of bed bugs especially nymphs, which hopefully by comparison will confirm that what you saw was not a bb.

Also it might be worthwhile for you to acquire a jeweler's loupe or similar, for about $10-$20, which gives you magnification of 5-10x or so, enough to get useful close-up looks at many kinds of crawlies.

4. diesel

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 10:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not sure it looked like any of these. It was on a transparent glue trap and it was white, like paper white and very, very small. I tried to magnify it times 2 and still could not make anything out.

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 11:11:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The more familiar you are with BBs the less magnification you need. 15-20X for inexperienced and experts may need none.

Jim

6. diesel

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 11:17:19
    #

Login to Send PM

But Jim does that sound normal, that it would be white. The glue trap was transparent and this was white like a little piece of paper but resembled a bug maybe, but I could not make it out even at 2x magnifying. Even at 2x magnifying wouldn't I be able make out some things?

7. scaredpea

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 11:54:00
    #

Login to Send PM

google psoid (booklouse). we caught a bunch of those in the same type of glue traps and they look exactly like you described (and I too initially was freaked that it was a bb nymph).

8. Koebner

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 12:12:46
    #

Login to Send PM

You might have better results googling "psocid".

Not all psocids are booklice though.

9. diesel

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 13:25:34
    #

Login to Send PM

If it was something the psocoid makes the most sense. Heck it may be nothing. I will keep monitoring. Can't seem to figure out why I have flower beetles under the bed. I will keep cleaning.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,215 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls