Nymph life span

(6 posts)
  1. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 1 2019 8:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with bat bugs. I know I have used them else forums a lot but I truly can’t get my questions answered any other ways. Our PCTs all say different things. I resigned my lease about a month ago because the bat bug issue has significantly lessened. Since then, it has increased and I figured this was the weather getting hotter. I put Cimexa down last week just as an extra assurance. I was feeling relatively bummed but okay because they were only adults. The only time I saw any new nymphs was when the bats were still around. I kept hearing from others that there is a finite amount of bugs since the last bats have been excluded in late January, now they will all eventually come down and die off.

Now today, I found a nymph (maybe 2nd/3rd instar) covered in the white dust on the wall in the bathroom. It was still alive when I found it. As previously stated, I have only seen nymphs when the bats were back. We check the attic weekly and the landlords do a more thorough check monthly (just dod one last week). Am I correct in stating that the nymphs should be dead by now (after 3.5 months)? The weather has ranged from cold to just recently getting hot. Could some nymphs have survived that long without feeding?

My biggest fear is starting this whole process again. For the 4th time.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 1 2019 8:38:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I've only tested unfed nymphs, but I would imagine that four months is quite possible if they had fed at some point. The cold could also allow for extra time.

3. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 1 2019 9:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay that’s good to know. It could have been just me relying on my anecdotal evidence but the only times we have ever seen nymphs is when the bats have somehow made their way back in. This one could have been a survivor, especially if it has fed at one point. This warm weather has not been friendly to us in terms of the bugs, but I guess at least they are coming out of hiding. The only info I have found online about in the life span was from a non-scientific source and some sources say the names should die off ASAP without food while others say it could be months. When you tested the unfed ones, what was the average lifespan?

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 1 2019 9:21:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I recorded the info but it was just something that I tested after breeding a pair and counting how many viable eggs could be produced after one mating. I think it was something like six to eight weeks for unfed, freshly hatched nymphs. The were separated from the mother at the egg stage so they received no nourishment at all.

5. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 1 2019 11:17:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm interesting. I wonder if there is any info about if they have fed. I’m assuming that everything still in the walls has fed at one point pre January.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 1 2019 11:20:19
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a post from a decade ago, but at the bottom there is some information on fed nymphs...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/unfed-nymph-lifespan-without-food

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956