(14 posts)
  1. keruimin

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 12:21:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

Just found a bed bug 2 nights ago. my husband has had itchy welts for the past 3 weeks.
    I have 2 questions:

1. any recommendations for NYC/ Brooklyn POCs? Feel free to PM me.

2. What kind of mattress cover should we get? and specific brand?

thanks!
    k

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 12:25:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Protecta Bed available through Residex at very popular and "bed bug proof".

3. keruimin

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 12:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks Winston!

4. brian

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 6 2008 12:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

A&C Exterminating is great. very thorough they helped me after two others had failed

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 6 2008 20:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Click the NYC PCOs tag above to see more discussions.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. chicken

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 7:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone used Standard Exterminating in Astoria, Queens? If so, would you recommend them? You may reply via PM if you like.

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 10:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Chicken,
    Never had used them but God forbid I needed an exterminator sgsin I would not hesitate
    contracting Standard. Gil Bloom is a well respected entomologist who runs and owns Standard. I have spoken with him many times both on the phone and in person. Gil also attended the Queens Bed Bug conference and sat with Lou Sorkin. Gil is also located in what some have said was ground zero for bed bugs, Astoria, N.Y. I think his father started the company years ago. They do have a website and you can call them. If need be asked if you can speak with Gil, do keep in mind that he is very busy. Also I purchase my BEDLAM from him. I hope this helps.

8. chicken

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 13:06:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I am bringing my samples to them now - I found two tiny things, not sure if they're bed bugs. Fingers crossed.

9. chicken

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 14:48:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I am much relieved to report back that my two teeny-tinies are not bed bugs but a sophid (likely set loose by the repairs being done to my water-damaged roof) and a book louse (the louse part being a misnomer, I am assured). The people at Standard were very nice, helpful and took their time with me. We still don't know what's biting me but so far, no bed bugs.

10. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 11:37:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you have a chance to speak with Gil?
    Do the professionals at Standard think that you are experiencing bites of some kind or are they not sure?

11. theprey

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 23:55:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I too am on the lookout for a new PCO.

Quick recap of my history: due to shoddy landlord's shoddy PCO and failure to warn, bed bugs moved from an upper floor of my building into my and my husband's apartment a little more than a month before we were supposed to move. We had all our things Vikaned by Bed Bugs & Beyond, and our new place treated by Pest-Away. I've thought all along since the move that I was still being bitten, but about three weeks ago finally got the classic row-of-3 bite. We were still (barely) within our warranty with Pest-Away then, so they came back 2 weeks ago and we did their prescribed follow-up (obsessive vacuuming, alternating Permacide and Bedlam every two days, lots of Sterifab), but I am still being bitten. In fact, because it's getting hot, the bites are escalating.

Nothing against the companies we used before -- as anal as we were, we don't know what went wrong but aren't blaming anyone -- but we'd like to try a different PCO. Brian suggested A & C Exterminating above, and lieutenantdan puts in a good word for Standard. I'll read prior threads, too, but any other suggestions? You can post here or send me a message. This time, if possible, we'd like a company that inspects. (Pest-Away doesn't.) Also, we have cats.

12. BeeBee

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 2:51:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you ruled out fleas? They also bite in 2- and 3-in-a-row groupings and normally arrive withe the hot weather. Back when I lived in Michigan we had sand fleas in our house so bad that I had to wear a flea suit to bed each night. During the worst of it I had over 120 bites. My partner didn't react at all and thought I was crazy.

13. theprey

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 6:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I've dealt with fleas in the past, and my reaction to them was very different. Based on prior experience with both, everything about what I'm experiencing suggests bed bugs to me, and I can't wait months to find one.

14. chicken

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 8:31:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Leutenant Dan,
    I did speak with Gil. He seemed to think that anything could be biting me, given the season and the fact that I spend time in the garden. I guess I just have to wait and see. I've had my mattress wrapped in carpet tape and a hand-warmer glue trap under my bed for a few days now, so far nothing. Fingers crossed!
    Thanks,
    Nina

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,768 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah