Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » How bed bugs are changing the world

NYC man on subway with bed bugs? Or not?

(11 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 23 2009 21:53:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Check this one out. And please leave your input and wisdom in the comments on that post -- I need your wisdom!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. no_bbs_on_me

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 8:16:15
    #

Login to Send PM

While i don't want to freak people out i have actually seen this before in Toronto. My Techs and i were doing inspections to adjoining units in an apartment building to a bedbug infestation. Entering through the doorway of one unit i almost broke my neck slipping on what turned out to be petroleum jelly caked around the entire inside and outside of the door frame...checking the jelly i noticed numerous bed bugs stuck that appeared to be coming from across the hall. This unit wasn't even on our list to be checked! The man in this unit was home....i have never seen that many bedbugs in one apt.before and as he walked toward me to leave his coat,pants and shirt were a hive of activity, all different stages in broad daylight running all over him. Truly surreal..... P.S. one of my Techs counted at least 50 BB's on the man as he walked onto the elevator and out to the bus stop.

3. djames1921

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 8:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen this as well on a homeless man in Denver, bed bugs crawling all over him.

4. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 10:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, this is so incredibly sad. To be homeless is a horrible thing, to be covered in bed bugs is just so devestatingly depressing. I really feel for these people, and I wish their was more public awareness to realize the scope of this problem. This man's problem is everyones problem.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 12:43:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. The issue is not whether or not people are covered in bed bugs in public places, which sadly can happen. I have heard of it in a few instances. The question is whether it happened in this case, and it sounds like it did not.

Something did happen, it just was not bed bugs. And it's no less heartbreaking, to be sure.

The Bedbugger blog item was picked up by the Times City Room blog, so if you have a comment to leave there, more eyes will see it.

The blog is kind of the public face of this website, and the forums are more for the insiders, those in the trenches with bed bugs.

6. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 16:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs, you are right that it is HIGHLY unlikely that this man would be covered with little instars. Even more unlikely they would hang around for the subway ride...
    I posted on the blog, but I have seen homeless pets here when working with rescue groups where animals have bots/larvae crawling on them. Perhaps this man had on a wool coat and he had some type of larvae that was hatching on him. For example if someone through the coat in trash, flies or other bugs laid eggs on it, he dug it out of trash and put on coat, and the hatching of larvae began... I'm just thinking of other possibilities besides bedbugs.

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 17:03:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I will post to the blog in a bit but without a sample to identify its not actually possible to say what it was. We can all speculate as to what it could be but without scientific data it is just an assumption.

That aside I would like to share a story from my very distant past. One Friday afternoon many years ago I got a call while out working (back in the days I contracted to a London authority). The summary was that a hospital out patient had been sent home because there were fleas crawling all over him. Long story short after some detective work we managed to track down an address and at about 5pm I arrived.

I did not need to enter the property to tell that it was a miss diagnosis as I had to kill about 10 bed bugs on him before I stepped across the threshold. Luckily I had my first digital camera with me at the time and although poor resolution compared to what I now use it allowed me to capture one of the last pictures on my gallery. The caption reads "If left untreated Bed Bugs will simple multiple at an alarming rate. This property had been untreated for a very long time and is one of the more extreme cases we have treated. It is however by a long stretch not the worst we have dealt with" the whole room was covered. I doubt there was a batch of wall greater than 3 inches square that did not have either a live bed bug, faecal trace or a cast skin on it.

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/gallery.html

The bath was filled with a good 2,000 - 3,000 bed bugs trapped trying to walk out.

I did the best that I could with the time available and even ended up giving the occupant enough money to get fish and chips that night to keep him out of the property for a few hours.

I asked to get the revisits on the property but the job never came back on my rota so I have no idea how it ended.

If I knew what I do today back then it would have been handled completely differently but it was truly one of those stunning infestations to walk into.

Now back to the subject at hand if the individual reported on the subway system did in fact have such a heavy case of bed bugs that in desperation for food they had become a human borne colony it is most likely that there would have been an alarming number of nymphs because all good young reside as close to food as possible. The crime that I feel has been committed is to let the person go back out into society without this issue being investigated and assistance given. Simply put how can we all stand around scratching our heads as to why bed bugs have come back so quickly when we simple let a massive infestation risk pass back into public space.

It may be that this person does not have a bed bug issue but I think hope that someone with some authority in public health realises that this one person could be the key to the infestations of literally hundreds if not thousands of people. It should therefore be one of their highest priorities to get out into the field and find that person so that if it is bed bugs then it can be dealt with. If it is not bed bugs then have the humanity to help this person deal with whatever the issue is.

If this was reported in London I would send half my team out to try and get to the bottom of it within hours of the story hitting.

Infestations like this are out there, I see about one per month and invariably they involve a non bite responding occupant often shamefully let down by society.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 0:40:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. I don't doubt bed bugs can infest people and I have heard other stories of people walking around like that.

It's just the idea that they were translucent nymphs. I am just wondering why the bed bugs would be on him but none of them would have fed yet. Doesn't that seem odd?

9. no_bbs_on_me

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 6:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs...i should have relayed my info better but i am a one finger wonder so i try to keep my sentences short. The man i was referring to was also covered in nymphs that would best be described as translucent from a distance of 2 meters. He was also wearing dark clothing so if there were any adults they would have been harder to see. The only reason i posted was that after reading the description of the man on the subway it sounded exactly like what we had encountered. I could be wrong but i wouldn't rule out the possibility of BB's...

10. hoo2677

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 9:04:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Regardless of whether they were bed bugs or not, those without the funds and/or information to eradicate are left out. I am very close friends with a man in subsidized housing. Most of the tenants in his building are destitute, some with mental illness. If you don't have cash and you can't move cause it means you're on the streets, you have very few choices. You have to live with them. Can you imagine? Now that building just got treatment after I called public health and the large publicly funded landlord. I had to threaten that the landlord would start getting fined by public health, one month later, the entire building got treated.

We are suffering here, but we can channel some of our anger, fear and grief toward helping others, cause we help ourselves and our city/communities when we advocate for eradication and education. The more folks on our transit, in our libraries, etc., who are treated, means a reduction in the spread of these $#&!'ing bugs, not to mention the humanity.

What if you had no means $$ to treat? No computer for education, or knowledge about how to "get things done." So while we cannot blame the poor for bed bugs, they are in a very difficult situation as they are given the message every day that they deserve whatever plagues they have because they are poor. That is inhumane. Those are the messages reinforced by television, movies and ignorance.

That is sad.

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 17:15:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Aren't we confusing "clear" and "translucent"? Unfed first instars are nearly clear. All nymphs are varying translucent shades of tan/gold (with red tummies, if recently fed).

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs