Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

NYC Canine Inspections

(15 posts)
  1. NY Bug Man

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2016 10:52:00
    #

Login to Send PM

We are following up on a few companies out here in NYC. After an inspection is done by the canine team the client calls us to treat and forwards us these reports. Almost all of the reports claim that "the canine has alerted on <insert item here> and that an alert is an indication of live bed bugs or viable eggs". No indication of if a visual confirmation is done.

Now we all know this isn't true. So now I have to take time off of our already busy technicians to do a visual and we never find anything. Does any other PCO in NYC 5 boroughs dealing with this? It's a little insane trying to explain to a customer that the inspection is positive ONLY IF VISUAL CONFIRMATION HAPPENED.

I am not painting with a broad brush as there are a lot of great canine firms out there and ones we do recommend. But there are a few who just seems to be giving out positives like pop corn.

Thoughts?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2016 17:23:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Interested in companies known to rely on visual confirmations of dog alerts only.

For anyone hiring a canine scent detection k9, make sure before you hire a dog team that the handler is one who visually verifies all alerts. See our FAQ on bed bug dogs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2016 23:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 8:02:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree. Need a visual confirmation. If not, further monitoring required. The handler should at least try to see if there is reason for the alert and the dog hasn't been (incorrectly) trained to alert to furniture.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. NY Bug Man

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 9:59:27
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    I agree. Need a visual confirmation. If not, further monitoring required. The handler should at least try to see if there is reason for the alert and the dog hasn't been (incorrectly) trained to alert to furniture.

Good point Lou. I never thought much about that. I suppose over time when the handlers reward them after alerting to furniture, over time some canines that aren't keeping up with training just start to alert to beds, chairs etc..

6. yankeedoodle

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 11:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question for NY Bug Man regarding visual inspections from Bed Bug Sniffing Dogs. I am having an inspection next week. What if the dog smells a bed bug behind the wall? How is the inspector going to locate it to show me? What if the dog smells an egg located deep inside the couch? How is that type of thing handled? Thank you.

7. NY Bug Man

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 13:34:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Great questions Yankee Doodle. I've rarely heard of a bed bug being deep in the wall and alerted to without any other evidence in the apartment. The only time that is a concern is if it's a building wide issue and still then, If the bed bug is biting you there should be evidence immediately around the area you are sleeping. Bed bugs are not like mice where after they feed they will find refuge very far from their food source. Is it likely that the infestation is very light and visual evidence is difficult to detect? Yes but until visual confirmation occurs there should be some monitoring programs and subsequent follow up inspections. Not as simple as deploying a canine and the dog alerting with no visual. Visual confirmation is needed and for some strange reason there is an egg in the wall and that the excuse the handler is giving they should be educating you on further monitoring until there has been some confirmation.

8. yankeedoodle

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 14:03:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you NY Bug Man, yes it is a single family home, there is no visual evidence. I have home health aids that come into my home to care for my mother. I found one inside of a disposable garbage bag in the bathroom that was located against the toilet. I am guessing the bug fell off of her and into the garbage bag while she was sitting on the toilet, because it was trying to crawl out of the bag and could not. But my fear is that this aide deposited more of them during her 4-5 (12 hour) visits to my home. The dog is coming next week to inspect. I am trying to understand what to expect.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 15:45:34
    #

Login to Send PM

yankeedoodle,

The key is to ask the inspector before you hire them whether they visually confirm all alerts. If you get a handler who doesn't, they're typically not going to be able to do a good job of it if they do it at all (which they often won't). So call and ask before they come.

Just to be certain, consider posting a photo of the bug for ID since there are some other pests which are commonly mistaken for bed bugs.

If there's no visual evidence outside of a bug found in the garbage can, then it may just be the one, but having an inspection is a good idea.

Is there any recent history of birds or bats nesting in or on the home?

Consider talking to the aides and their management about avoiding/lessening the risk of picking up and spreading bed bugs, which are a risk for both the workers and their clients. We have some materials on how people who visit homes in their work can avoid bed bugs in the resources page: For Home Visitors (and others who work in potentially infested homes).

10. yankeedoodle

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 20 2016 10:04:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the good advice. I asked if the handler will visually confirm alerts. The reply was "Yes the handlers try to visually confirm the alerts, however, that is not always possible". Based on this reply, should I look for another handler?

11. yankeedoodle

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 7:25:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello NY Bug Man. Please I need a good recommendation for a canine in Rockland County NY. Can you please help? Thank you.

12. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 7:48:50
    #

Login to Send PM

YD: The reply was "Yes the handlers try to visually confirm the alerts, however, that is not always possible". Based on this reply, should I look for another handler?
    -------------------
    Personally, I would go with a company that is a little more committed to visual confirmation. If bed bugs are present, a good PCO will find signs such as live bugs, cast skins, or fecal. A false positive can turn your life upside down for no good reason.

Richard

13. NY Bug Man

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 10:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Yankee check your PM

14. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2016 5:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately not all handlers are equal. Commitment, training, experience can vary. That being said a canine team can be mostly on point and not do a visual confirmation in all cases. Each situation varies in terms of clutter, distractions and other variables plus if a handler becomes a good BB inspector it may travel down leash to the dog and effect results. I have worked with two handlers over the years and actually have the highest confidence in the one that does not do visual confirmation much more then the easily accessible or obvious. They do not advertise as doing visual confirmations but are handlers only who do their best in keeping the dogs up to "sniff" as it were, frequently double teaming for quality control. But yes with some handlers I understand a need for confirmation.

15. yankeedoodle

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 11 2016 6:50:25
    #

Login to Send PM

NY Bug Man, I sent you a private message. Thank you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW