newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 24 2013 23:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Why I don’t recommend NYBedBugDogs.com

EFFECTIVENESS OF CANINE INSPECTION AND OF BEDBUG TREATMENT
    Here was our sequence:
    • We positively id’d bedbugs in one room. The dog’s apparent confirmation was unnecessary.
    • NYBedBugDogs did two treatments of that room; each time the dog showed no response to any other room.
    • After two treatments of the infested room, an infestation was in fact present in another room. I can’t be sure that they were there when the dog previously visited, so I don’t know if the dog missed them or not. The second infestation was visually id’d. Again the dog’s confirmation was unnecessary, so I couldn’t tell whether the dog was being influenced by the handler’s knowledge of the infestation.
    •They charged me another fee for treatments of the second room.
    •After two treatments of the second room, the dog gave the all-clear.
    •9 days later live bbs were seen in the same room as the all-clear. No new bugs could have been introduced, since the room was isolated and unused. They were positively id’d by bedbugger.com expert.
    •So: the only times the dog confirmed bbs was when the handler already knew there were bbs present; and at least once if not twice the dog gave a false negative
    • And, after five treatments and three months, my house still has bedbugs

CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION
    People dealing with bedbugs need good information, good communication and supportive help. At this company, Frank answers the phone and John or Joe (sorry, not sure which) comes with the dog and the chemicals.

• Neither one was communicative about things we needed to know. For example, we were told that the chemical “stops being bad for you” when it’s dry. Does that mean we can mop it up, or does it continue to work on the bugs? Do we leave it on forever or what? I never got clear on that.

• When asked, they told us stuff that’s inaccurate. For example, Q: “do I need to worry about the cat carrying them around?” A: “Sure, anything’s possible. Just put Frontline on her.” The American Veterinary Association warns against doing this, flea and tick treatments aren’t meant to work on bedbugs. (Reassuring information I would have liked to have is that, given a choice between human and furred animals the bbs will go for the humans. Our cat was old and sick, a systemic flea treatment would have finished her off. On another PCP’s advice I just checked her with a flea comb.)

• Instructions were unclear: “Make an appointment for two weeks, call a few days before when you’re ready” turned out to mean, Frank refused to make an appointment if you called four days in advance, you had to call within a 72-hour window. When I asked whether Sunday was included, I did not get an answer. I still don’t know if you are supposed to call on Friday or on Saturday for a Tuesday appointment. Also, “two weeks” turns out to actually mean, “not before the 15th day.”

• The two men told us stuff that conflicted with each other. For example, Joe/John said we had to leave someone sleeping in that bed when we left for vacation (to keep the bugs from emigrating to look for another host even after treatment), and Frank said we didn’t. J said make the next appointment after two weeks, without distinguishing between a 2-week wait between first and second treatments vs. a 3-week wait before “final” inspection. Frank acted angry and impatient with me when I duly called for the inspection visit after two weeks. He was audibly disgusted that, given the unclear instructions, I'd called a couple of times to make appointments when it didn't fit with his protocols.

• Frank said things that were expedient in the moment and then contradicted himself when something else was expedient at a different time. For example, he warned me that I might see bedbug activity and get fresh bites for “a few days” after chemical treatment. I said, “like, what’s a few days?” “Four or five.” I was grateful to know this -- it was the only time that either man said something proactively helpful to educate us about what to expect. And it made sense given that Joe/John told us the chemicals would do their work in about five days, and that the two-week waiting period was for the next generation of eggs to hatch. But when there were live bedbugs 9 days after the dog gave a supposed all-clear, Frank said “well, that’s why you have to wait up to 21 days to be sure, they can still be active 21 days later.” (Never mind that the dog had detected nothing. He ignored that and was defending the failure of the treatment.)

Probably the worst of it – combined with the fact that we still have bedbugs! -- Frank was combative and defensive and passive-aggressive. Examples:
    • One day J was supposed to come between 11 and 1; when we called to see what was up at 1 p.m. it was pretty clear that the appointment had been forgotten. J got there at 3. Ok, so that happens, we didn’t make anything of it or even complain. The next time, being on schedule was going to matter so I called in the middle of the appointment window. I was not attacking in any way, I just said, "I've got to figure out my logistics for the afternoon so I'm calling to see if things are on track for our appointment." Frank’s response in an aggrieved and aggressive tone was, “What did I tell you?!! When did I say he’d be there? 11 to 1. So, he’ll be there between 11 and 1.” (By the way, J arrived at 12:59.)
    • When I was called, upset, to say we have active bbs after the all-clear, Frank’s immediate response was, “Well, first of all, what do you expect me to do? You haven't waited long enough. And you’re taking a tone with me.” I said, “I’m in despair! I thought we had an all-clear!” And he actually said, “No, you’re not in despair, you’re just being nasty.” !!
    • When he told me all of a sudden that it was reasonable to see live bedbugs “up to 21 days” after treatment and I said, truly shocked, I said, “Wait, I don’t get it, which is it? Four or five days, or two weeks, or three weeks? Aren’t those different things?” (One should be how long the bedbugs might still be moving, one for the eggs, and one to be sure of a clean reading, no?) His astonishing response was “I’ve told you five times, and it doesn’t matter what I tell you, you’ll just twist it into something else.” !!

I am a conflict resolution professional. I understand how poor communication generates misunderstandings that are frustrating for both parties. I also know that blaming the customer isn't the way to solve those situations. If the bedbug treatment actually worked, it might be worth putting up with that kind of interaction. But I am letting go of the money I’ve spent on our “guarantee” and starting over with someone else.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 25 2013 4:31:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can you please confirm their status on visually confirming alerts?

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. sleepless

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 25 2013 9:29:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Are you asking if they looked for and found the bugs when they began treatments? I wasn't there for the first room, but it was a second-hand bed and people were covered in bites the very first night it was in the apartment, so there was no question about that. I don't know what action they took to visually confirm. In the second room, I myself found the live bedbugs in the seams of the mattress, and I had trapped some bugs in tape and showed them to Joe/John when he arrived. When the dog sat down in that room it was in another area of the room from the bed and I said, "Does that mean they're living over there?" J shrugged and said, "Well, you already know they're in this room" and did not actively look for them in the area the dog sat down.

Two further clarifications to my review that a friend asked me about:
    -- Two weeks vs. fifteen days -- for example, we had a treatment on a Monday and were told to make another appointment in two weeks... so I arranged for time off from work for the Monday two weeks later, only to be told no, they wouldn't do it before that Tuesday.
    -- About the infestation moving from one room to another -- we did ask what to do to prevent this and took whatever precautions they told us to take, in the minimal instructions we were given. In the last conversation when I said, "I think the dog missed the bugs in the second room," Frank said "I TOLD you that the first treatment in one room could force bugs to move into another room." This blew my mind: He certainly hadn't told me that, John/Joe hadn't offered that when I'd asked him 'how did this happen?'... and if they thought that, why didn't they treat the whole apartment back at the beginning? I put myself in the hands of professionals, I don't know these things. (They also never told me about pack-tites or monitors or any other information or about any other aids.)

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 25 2013 9:44:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

For me the first alarm bell on landing on their website was the statements about cryonite.

There are a lot of subtle signs of SEO over content as well.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,846 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas