NY Press article on pest tech's practices

(11 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Feb 17 2010 13:11:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I would be interested if any pest control pros would read and comment on this article, about a story from NY Press about a pest tech. (I encourage you to comment on the blog post directly if you feel inclined, as more people will see it there.)

I am concerned that readers may get ideas about how to use some of the products described.
    Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. ActionK9

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Feb 17 2010 20:19:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I was hoping someone else would start ..but maybe, like me...they too are speechless. Now I will admit, I have never read the New York Press nor familiar with the reporter Joseph A. Bernstein. I do not know of his wit, or sense of humor and don't care to speculate on his intent of writing this particular story. I trust it was not to expose the downside of hap-hazard pest control practices.

I printed the article from my office today and briefly skimmed over it... it looked to be of interest so I tucked it in my brief case for the commute home. On my third time reading it, I broke out my highlighter.

I honestly don't know where to begin.

"You gotta give them a show," "and make it easy for them to see"
    Even if the war can't be one, the civilians will sleep better.

3. ActionK9

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Feb 17 2010 20:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it legal to apply chemicals at will in New York without an applicators licence and working alone? It just seems to me that having a certified technician card allowed you to "work under" someone with an applicators license and that the applicator had to be present or within a reasonable distance from the application of chemical.

Maybe i'm just overly precautious.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Feb 17 2010 21:51:39
    #

Login to Send PM

HI Action K9,

I'm not the one to answer that, but that's a good question to ask.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 1:13:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Are comments from non-pros welcome in thus thread, too, or do we need a separate one for the "community"? For out of towners, the Press is New York's alternative paper, used to circulate via corner boxes, though I have not seen it lately, guess it's online now. As it's New York, the "alternative" Press runs conservative/libertarian.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 1:42:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Obviously a colorful rouge who gives an industry a bad image. Although certain liberties may have been taken by the reporter and the subject may have a big mouth. However with all said and done I have contacted the proper authorities in regard to this matter, which is certainly not indicative of the hundreds of professionals out there who help defeat bed bugs and improve folks quality of life on a daily basis. And kids once again do not try these methods at home and do not hire anyone with this type of approach.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 2:13:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I commented and I am no pro.

That idiot is killing his ass.

Jim

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 10:25:41
    #

Login to Send PM

- convicted felon
    - liberally sprays "God-knows-what" over people's homes
    - concedes that some of his clients can't be helped, but he might as well give them a show
    - exhibiting possible neurological symptoms

If this represents the "typical" NYC PCO, why shouldn't people just carefully read Doggett's guide and take matters into their own hands?

9. ActionK9

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2010 14:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

anyone have any updates here?

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2010 2:50:19
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 2 days ago  » 
    Are comments from non-pros welcome in thus thread, too, or do we need a separate one for the "community"?

Your comments are always welcomed, cilecto!

I did not mean to exclude "Bedbuggers"-- just thought some PCOs weighing in on the comments of the blog post would be interesting, since this pest tech is so obviously way off base.

11. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2010 11:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Off base perhaps free base, I know we do background checks and while we wish all good luck and a new start going in and out of homes is not necessarily a good job placement for a convicted felon. So don't let any TYCO execs service you. I do not know that DEC has a special review process if a convicted felon applies for pesticide certification.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams