Numerous bites on face and eyelids, but no bugs

(3 posts)
  1. bullaboo

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 14:48:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Feeling like I'm going crazy here - any help would be appreciated! I first noticed bites 3 weeks ago. The first bite that caught my attention did so because it was on my eyelid. Later in the day I noticed another small bump (1 mm central vesicle with a few mm of swelling). Minimal redness if any.

I didn't take pictures of these original ones (because I wasn't too concerned at the time), but here are some other photos that go along with the narrative below: Imgur link

Over the next few days, I noticed the gradual appearance of two on my chin, three on my right neck, one in front of my left ear, one on either side of my nose, and one in my right eyebrow. I was nervous about bed bugs, but checked my mattress and sheets and didn't find anything. I went on a 3-day trip out of town and did not notice any new bumps during that time.

After returning home, I went 3 days without anything, until I noticed a new bite on my forehead (appeared in the evening). Over the past 2 weeks, I have continued to get about 1 bite per day, mostly on my face, a couple on my neck, and one on my chest. The bites often look different - the most recent one on my neck looked like more like a mosquito bite (large pink welt) while the ones on my face usually look like tiny 1mm zits except they itch (and in delicate areas such as the eyelids, the swelling is noticeable). I have also noticed one along my forehead hairline and one in my hairline behind my ear. Almost all of the bites have been individual, singular bites rather than clusters.

I had exterminators come about a week and a half ago, they looked at the walls, mattress, and bed frame and they didn't find anything. They left a sticky trap behind the bed, and it hasn't caught anything. I have washed/dried my sheets twice (and put pillows in the drier), never finding any marks or bugs. I have sealed my mattress and foam topper inside a mattress cover. I have removed my sheets and examined the mattress cover thoroughly, as well as the bed frame which I sprayed and wiped down with Lysol (hoping that something might scurry into view... or die). I have continued to get 1-2 bites each night, usually noticing them mid-morning.

I have ClimbUp interceptors on the legs at the headboard that haven't captured anything (the legs at the foot of the bed are connected by a rod and can't be used with them). I have found NO bugs despite desperate searching, my roommate has not reported any bites, and notably the last time I had traveled was >3 weeks before the first bite I noticed.

Does this sound/look like bed bugs to you, or anything else come to mind? The bites on the eyelids (and continuing appearance of bites) make me think so, since something must be biting when I'm asleep. Aside from the mattress cover and interceptors, I'm skeptical of using any sprays/powders myself for health reasons; since I have a good landlord, cost of exterminators is not an issue. But they can't do anything until I've found a bug, and I'm nervous about going on vacation soon and potentially bringing bugs with me!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 16:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not something that would make me suspect bed bugs. It sounds more like an allergic reaction to detergent or lotion.

3. bullaboo

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 21:22:08
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 4 hours ago  » 
    It's not something that would make me suspect bed bugs. It sounds more like an allergic reaction to detergent or lotion.

I asked a dermatologist friend to take a look, and while they agreed it didn't look quite look like bed bug bites, they also thought the distribution and gradual and intermittent appearance of new lesions made it less likely to be an allergic reaction (vs. some type of insect bite). I've also stopped using any skin care products on my face in the last week and a half just to be safe, and would have expected a reaction to detergent to be primarily in clothed areas.

In any case, I appreciate your thoughts and am hoping you're right! I had a bed bug scare before (top floor of my old shared house was infested, my room/floor never did but I went through the whole experience), so I'm just so anxious at even the possibility of it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,630 posts in 47,029 topics over 144 months by 20,758 of 21,033 members. Latest: tinfoilfronts, paranoidsouthernchick, HopeTheyAreNotBedBugs