Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Nothing working on our bed bugs: are we missing something?

(5 posts)
  1. jazzyjunior

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Nov 25 2018 3:19:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I am here to request advice from anyone who may have a similar experience or be able to shed light on our situation. We are struggling to eradicate whatever pest is in our house, and feel like we are missing some information, as nothing we have read on the internet seems to precisely match our case.

We’re getting desperate for help and this is starting to get really draining, any insight would be appreciated. Here is a rough timeline of events:

THE FACTS
    - My girlfriend starting getting bites in our bed about six weeks ago, and later on the couch as well. I never felt anything though am presumably also getting bitten (which I’ve read is quite common)
    - only tiny visible bites (photo) that produce only a momentary bite-like sensation, no itchiness or redness or any other marking afterwards (as seems to be the norm), occurring all over her body
    - strong enough to wake her up at night, seriously impacting her sleep and overall wellbeing (she already suffers from insomnia and anxiety)
    - it was a few weeks later that we actually saw the first bug and began to take action. We first saw them crawling all over my doona when I put it out in the sun. They fit the description of bed bugs (tiny (1-2mm), oval shaped, rusty red, stained the doona reddish/orange when squished). Smaller and younger ones were a lighter yellowish colour
    - despite very carefully moving around three difference houses to get some respite from the bites, every place we’ve tried to sleep in the last few weeks (new mattress, bedding, and meticulously cleaned clothes that have been nowhere near anything bed bug infested) has still resulted in my girlfriend getting bitten throughout the night and us finding large numbers these bugs in the doona/mattress the next day. They even got into my girlfriend’s psychologist’s couch!
    - have been hot washing, drying and bagging everything, and leaving garbage bags out in the sun (still haven’t opened these bags yet)
    - had profession pest controllers treat the affected rooms (and do a backup treatment 7 days after the initial treatment). Have also sprayed insect killing sprays everywhere since then, to no avail (girlfriend still gets bites every night)
    - also bought bed bug proof mattress protectors and have been studiously avoiding any contamination in clean spaces from any of our clothes or shoes

WHAT ARE WE MISSING?
    Given that we’ve been taking all the recommended steps for weeks now and are still getting bitten, we’re wondering if we may have the wrong pest, or be missing some other piece of the puzzle (some less obvious way the bugs may be transferring). Here are a list of the things that are most confusing and are leading us to question our diagnosis of the problem:
    - just noticed today that a few of the bugs appeared to jump a bit when I put my finger near them (which bed bugs shouldn’t, right?!) - this could potentially explain that they seem to be transferring ridiculously easily?
    - but don’t seem to fully match the profile for fleas either (dogs haven’t shown any signs of being infested, and the bugs clearly gravitate towards our bodies and bedding)
    - on a brand new doona we bought just last night there were over 50 when i put it out in the sun today (not sure if bed bugs would be able to breed this fast)
    - bites not really resembling the typical descriptions of bed bug bites - no itchiness or marks beyond what is in attached picture
    - laid some bed bug traps last night and nothing got caught

We are praying we haven’t discovered some new strain of superbug that is resistant to all known methods of extermination. We would be grateful for any insight or advice. I haven’t taken a photo for ID yet but will follow up with this shortly. They are very tiny and haven't been super photogenic so far. By the way, we live in Melbourne in Australia, if that makes any difference. Let me know if there’s any other information I can provide for clarification.

PHOTOS OF BITES:
    https://imgur.com/a/6TycG4Q
    https://imgur.com/a/VVNS6AP

2. lsdrg706

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Nov 25 2018 6:40:42
    #

Login to Send PM

What you really need are pictures of the bugs themselves. I would consider that step one before making any further conclusions.

3. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Nov 25 2018 13:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I have exactly the same bites reaction .Fighting bb..Also the bites look like a tiny scratches ,small cuts and red streaks on my back .

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 12:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

What you're describing does not sound like bed bugs. Have you recently changed detergents or drier sheets or something else when laundering your bedding?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 14:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Step 1 is always confirm the target, in this case its not about the bites but:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

The FAQ's will show you what to look for and with the images we will know how severe the case is and if additional advice is needed.

Equally, the lack of signs and yet persistent skin reactions increasingly points towards bed bugs not being the actually cause.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,308 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo