Not sure what to do now

(10 posts)
  1. Worried1

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 9 2018 17:48:57
    #

Login to Send PM

A little background: I have had two bed bug infestations in the past, neither in my current home and the most recent one about four years ago. I work in a hospital. On Sunday, I saw a patient who has a very active bed bug infestation at home. I met with him in the common room, where he sat in a wheelchair and I sat in a chair a foot or two away. Before I left work, I inspected my shoes with a flashlight and saw nothing. When I got home, I threw my clothes into the washer on hot and then two cycles of the dryer on high heat.

The next day (Monday) I had a relatively large, extremely itchy red bump on my left knee. Last night, I saw (and felt) a second bite mark lower on my left leg. This morning (Wednesday) I had three bites on my left leg and two on my right leg. I already have a passive monitor set up on the back of my headboard, which shows no signs, and have not seen any signs of bed bugs in or around my bed.

I’m not sure what to do now. At what point should I call in a PCO to inspect? Does this sound likely to be bed bug related, or are there other likely causes? I am trying hard to keep calm, but since I have been through this saga not once but twice, and still have a sort of bed bug ptsd from it, I’m having a hard time. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

2. micachica

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 9 2018 18:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I’d say keep checking your monitor. Check for signs. Bugs, poop, cast skins.

3. Worried1

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 9 2018 22:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, micachica. I’ll definitely do that. It’s just hard to know when to call in the troops, so to speak. I searched again when I got home from work today, and still saw nothing ... but my legs are still so miserably itchy, and I’m a bit scared to go to sleep.

4. Livingagain

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 10 2018 1:08:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes you can be bitten somewhere else, one day, then the the bites can flare up later (up to 9 days ) IIRC. Keep monitoring, but there could be a reason for the bites besides having them in your house.

5. Worried1

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 10 2018 20:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, livingagain. That makes sense, and it’s a reassuring thought.

6. Worried1

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat May 12 2018 19:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I still haven’t seen anything on the monitor or bed, and haven’t had any new bites today or yesterday. I guess my question is at what point can I be sure that if the monitor shows nothing then there are no bed bugs? How long would it take for some trace to show up?

7. Pattycake

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat May 12 2018 21:20:09
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are using a packtite monitor, they say two weeks... I check mine every two weeks for peace of mind.

8. Worried1

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat May 12 2018 23:44:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Pattycake. So if I make it another week without seeing anything, then hopefully that means I’m in the clear. ((Praying))

9. Pattycake

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun May 13 2018 14:10:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Fingers crossed

10. Worried1

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun May 13 2018 22:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! Another day with no signs and no new bites ...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,338 posts in 46,550 topics over 141 months by 20,529 of 21,391 members. Latest: TuliusCeasar, Bugsss, northeastbugger