Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Not sure if I have them

(12 posts)
  1. cmcln

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 8:40:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Last night I went to sit on my bed and was talking on the phone at about 6:30. I was looking down at my offwhite comforter and picking lint off the top (my one blanket sheads a little) Anyway, as I'm picking off the lint I notice one of the darker spots and it starts to move. Now when I say spot I mean spot. I thought at first it was a dust mite in fact cause it was so small but then I remembered you can't see dust mites with the naked eye. I called my mother up and asked her to look and she accidentally killed it without even seeing it. After that I was able to show her another one cause I did see another one walking around on top of the comforter. I couldn't even see legs I just saw the thing move which is how I know it was some kind of bug. It was kinda reddish brown. I then found about 4-5 more and washed my whole entire bed. I found nothing underneath the comforter either. I trapped one inside a plastic bag but accidentally squished that one as well.
    I called the exterminator today and they said that if I was really nervous I could send the squished one out and someone might be able to identify it. They even gave me an address. Am I crazy or should I look more into this. I don't want to ignore it and than have it be a problem. I am very allergic to insect bites so if they ever did bite me I'd know and it would be bad. So far neither myself nor my husband has any bites but I just wanted to make sure. The only thing that made me think it was even bed bugs was the fact that I found them on the bed.
    Does anyone have any advice? I would even take someone saying not bed bugs lady just some sort of mite that probably came in from the 7 inches of rain you just had. I mean it was so small it was the size of a dot that you'd make with your pen. I'm still not sure how I saw it.
    Any advice - I know I'm crazy but I hate bugs with a passion.

Thanks!

2. wantmyskinback

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 9:04:56
    #

Login to Send PM

NO! You are not crazy. You may have discovered baby bed bugs, aka, Nymphs who have different names for their stages of development. Can you take a photograph of it and email it your PCO or to an entomologist for ID purposes? Considering that you found 5 of them in the same place, it could be an infest of some kind, even if not bb's...it's definitely worth checking out.

3. cmcln

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 9:08:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I just called my exterminator and they let me know that it may be clover mites. which are totally harmless but look exactly like what I was describing - a spot that moves. Either way they are easy to control and die in the home within a couple of days. I couldn't even take a picture - that's how small this thing was. I'm still going to send the squished one into research and have them verify that for me - but I feel much better now.

4. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 9:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi cmc ... little reddish brow dots moving on the bed. Very suspect to be bed bugs...
    They don't like water much, but that you've seen so many now and so small--I'd send in the sample. Note: some people don't get any reaction to the bites and this can go on for a longtime. It is I'd say one of the many reasons bed bugs can grab hold in a place. If you have even one bed bug and it laid eggs in your home, you would do well to err on the side of extra caution.
    This sounds like bed bugs to me, although there are little spiders that small. You'd be able to see the legs and it would look like a spider. I had a few hundred little brown dots! But I only saw them a week and a half after I started bed bug treatments. They breed like rabbits and better. Do come back and let us know what's going on with it soon ... Mine were about the color of corn flakes, some a little lighter.
    Welcome to the bedbug baby boom? I hope not ... but it sure sounds like it to me! PS a lot of people who are bug bite sensitive report no sensitivity at first.
    Sorry your here but welcome
    Willow
    P.P.S. read our extensive FAQ's on bed bugs ... they are very informative and bed bugs act so differently in each environment they invade.

5. wantmyskinback

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 9:12:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you look up Clover Mites on the web and see if there is a photo? There's a site called "Whats that Bug" and it may be helpful.

6. cmcln

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 9:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I did look up clover mites and the description of them along with the picture provided is exactly what I saw. When I looked really closely at the one I had in the bag it seemed to have two super long antenna coming from it's head. The coloring and the description are exactly what I saw. I'm going to send in the speciman anyway to make sure - I hope it doesn't matter that it got squished. I'll look for some more this evening and this time I'll look around the window sill as well. If it's the clover mites they should be there as well.
    It would be strange for me to have bed bugs really. I have no pets, all hardwood, I just got all new furniture two months ago and I have not slept anywhere but my house since October which is when I went on my honeymoon to Hawaii. The likelyhood of me having them didn't make sense at all which is why it was so strange. With that said I'm still going to send in my squished sample and I will let you know.
    Thanks for the help and concern - after reading some of these things I truly hope it's not and I really do feel for the people who have experienced these horrid creatures.

7. buggedinbrooklyn

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 10:16:27
    #

Login to Send PM

quote from cmcln...
    "It would be strange for me to have bed bugs really. I have no pets, all hardwood, I just got all new furniture two months ago and I have not slept anywhere but my house since October which is when I went on my honeymoon to Hawaii."

sounds like many of the ways you get bedbugs to me.
    bedbugs love wood, we get them more from new furniture today more then ever before (as they come from furniture trucks today), you also went on a trip and could have brought them home (the number 1 reason we get them), they do sometime take forever fully infest a home or room and you might never notice bites untill months later.

sounds like you have a differnt bug, but the resons you gave are some of the best ways to get bedbugs.
    travel, and getting new furniture are the two best ways to get them IMHO.

anyway, I hope it's not bedbugs.

buggedinbrooklyn

8. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 11:25:20
    #

Login to Send PM

that web site "whats that bug" has a few nice pics of adult bed bugs

9. Bugalina

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 13:16:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hawaii had such a bad bed bug infestation that many major Hotels were tented and Vikaned...I think this info can be found on the internet..

10. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 14:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope its only clover bugs!

11. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2007 14:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope its not true, newlywed; we will be here for you should it unfortunately come to pass.

12. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Apr 22 2007 5:46:01
    #

Login to Send PM

hey cmcem has anything new transpired yet? Let us know bed bugs or not--we care!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,416 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson