Not sure if I have bedbugs or not

(6 posts)
  1. BBTennessee

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 0:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all. I recently rented an apartment and purchased a couch off of the internet (Huge mistake, I know!) and brought it home. Well, I had heard of bedbugs obviously and was a bit worried so I did some inspections before I brought it in and didn't see anything. My boyfriend slept on the couch that night and then the following morning, woke me up and was asking what this was on the arm of the couch. Turns out, it was a bedbug. The couch is a sectional with a sleeper sofa so we pulled it out and seen two large ones crawling. Not really sure what to do, we just pulled the couch outside and hauled it off to the dump (I did spray paint it and let the guy at the dump know it had bedbugs btw).

Anyways, that has been 3 weeks ago and I've been in a panic. The day after we pulled the couch out, I seen a dead one on the floor. We don't have any furniture in our apartment but a tv stand and our bed. My boyfriend had a huge reaction a day after sleeping on the couch and had all kinds of bites all over his body. I only spent a little while on the couch watching tv and noticed about a week later that I had 2 small bites in a row on my foot. We enclosed our mattress and boxsprings and added the climb-ups. I have been almost obsessed with checking our apartment for any signs of bed bugs but haven't seen any. Before adding enclosements to our mattress, an inspection didn't turn up anything. I've also checked the carpet and around the baseboards literally 10 times a day at different time sand haven't found anything.

I'm just wondering what I should do? I know it sounds like a silly question but should I at least wait until I see some kind of sign of bed bugs before spending the money on having somoene out here to check? Or should just knowing the couch was in here with bedbugs be enough to freak out over. This is driving me absolutely crazy because we plan to buy new furniture but don't want to bring anything into our house until we know. Any feedback is appreciated!

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 0:51:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Let's see what the experts say. Someone should be on in the morning.

Good luck. I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm not an expert, so I'm not going to respond with specifics.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. 2ndtimeinfest

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 1:55:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert but it sounds like passive monitors would be a good option for you to start with. Especially with such minimal furniture if you have them they are likely to head towards your bed so a passive monitor would allow you to see signs and potentially even trap them if you do have them. You may be lucky enough that you had the couch in there for a short enough amount of time that you managed to remove it prior to infesting other areas of your home.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 1:57:38
    #

Login to Send PM

If they have climbups, that is a type of monitor, too.

I agree with you that monitoring is a good idea.

5. BBTennessee

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 23:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your replies! I was doing some cleaning tonight, decided to check under my infants car seat (the type that you pull the material off and such that lays flat) and seen what looked like 7 or 8 bug skins. They were very small and I took pics of them so I could show them if anyone wants to see but just by searching on the internet, I am certain that is what it is. Luckily, I didn't have to sign a lease and informed my landlord tonight that I would be moving within the next 30 days and explained to her why. I feel a bit guilty because I am the one that bought the couch and obviously brought these disgusting things to her house, offered to pay to have someone come here but she told me it was fine that things like that happened. Since I don't have any of my furniture or stuff in here yet, I'll just let them win and go! I read a lot about moving and making sure you don't take them with you so I'm just going to be extremely cautious when doing this.

Also, the lady that sold me the couch refunded my money back. Very nice of her but I'm still extremely angry with her because she said she knew the couch had bed bugs. I can't believe someone would willingly give someone these things. How horrible.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 0:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear BBT,

I've read your posts above and wish you had waited such that you could have saved your couch but it is what it is now.

Some comments for your review and consideration:

1. View the bed bug videos found on the right side of these pages. You will be interested in seeing the Signs of Bed Bugs and Inspection videos. Each is under two minutes. All you need do is click, watch and learn.

2. You only need to inspect about once per week.

3. Note that the bed bugs will be drawn mostly to your bed.

4. It is a good thing that you have limited furniture right now and wise to wait until you know you have zero bed bugs prior to acquiring additional furniture.

5. You climb up blocker devices work as monitors. Check them about twice per week. Use a flashlight so you can see well when checking them. Also, be sure that there's no dust accumulation within these devices. If so, you will need to wipe them out as needed. Read the instructions on how to properly maintain them.

6. Don't go crazy worrying but do invest some time in educating yourself on what to do and how to do it.

pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com