Not sure if bed bugs or something else?

(11 posts)
  1. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 10:04:43
    #

Login to Send PM

On 09/10/2013, I woke up with a series of 3 large welts on my right tricep. They woke me up in the middle of the night, and appeared to be RIGHT after I had been bitten. I didn't think anything of it.

On 09/16/2013, I woke up at around 4:30am with a load of bites just above my right shoulder blade, again large welts. I fell back asleep and woke up at 7:00am with another 4 or 5 bites on my left bicep and elbow.

This time I started freaking out. I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning my room. I found a single dead bed bug in my bed, on my sheet. I removed it from the home. I pulled off the rest of my bedding without finding any other sign of bed bugs. I took all my bedding plus my pillows and threw them in the washer. I then inspected my mattress and found two other bugs (NOT bed bugs) that were also dead, but I haven't been able to identify them. They are super tiny and I couldn't get a clear picture of them, but they were long, skinny, and brown-ish in color. Their legs appeared to be almost a golden color. They couldn't have been more than 2-3mm in length (magnifying glass ftw!). I then vacuumed my entire mattress, my box spring, removed all of the objects under my bed and vacuumed it thoroughly as well. I used a non-brush attachment to get along the baseboards and vacuumed them extremely well. I then dusted off everything that had been under my bed, and put it all back together. I found no evidence of any sort of bug during my cleaning. No eggs, no other bugs, no fecal matter, nothing. My dad came home from work with a really strong insecticide that claimed to work on bed bugs (I know a lot of people say insecticides don't really work) and a lot of other types of bugs, so I figured I'd give it a shot. The product we used was "Demand CS". I sprayed that all along the baseboards around my room. I also washed every dirty towel/article of clothing in my room.

This morning, 09/17/2013, I woke up at 3:00am with another bite on the left side of my back, below my shoulder blade.

I sleep in the same bed with my boyfriend, and he has zero bites. My father and son also live here, they share another bedroom, they have no bites. Our cat hasn't been scratching or giving us any indication of any bites she might have, and our gerbils look healthy so I don't think they have any mites or anything. I'm going insane! Not only is it interrupting my sleep, but it's become all I can think about the past 24 hours. I usually sleep in the nude, but so far all my bites have been on my back/arms, nowhere else.

We are extremely broke, I can't afford a PCO. Is there anything I could do myself to help test for bugs, or to actually find any other than the three corpses I had? Thanks in advance.

Also, here are pictures of my bites (if that makes any sort of difference).

These are the bug bites I got on 09/10.
    These are the first bug bites I got on 09/16.
    These are the second bug bites I got on 09/16.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 12:28:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, IDing from skin reactions doesn't work. Having said that, your skin reactions don't seem to be common in terms of what people report for bed bugs, so you should probably see a doctor to see if there's another cause.

Bed bug monitors (such as the inexpensive Packtite Passive) may help you find a visual sample so you can confirm bed bugs. See our FAQ on monitors.

Finally, I would recommend you don't treat without identifying the problem for sure. You can post images of the bugs you found and an expert here may be able to ID them. (Flatbed scans work too.)

If it does turn out you have bed bugs, if you are renting, you may be entitled to professional treatment paid for by a landlord. If not, DIY treatment is possible but reading reputable sources is the best first step.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 14:13:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Those "bites" look just like the hives my husband gets occasionally. He gets them a couple of times a year and we have never been able to figure out what causes them. They just happen. Just like what you have...some on his shoulders and some on his back and some on his legs.

So please, do what "nobugsonme" suggested and see a Dr, just in case. And if you really think it's bugs, keep looking for a specimen to post so some of the experts on here can have a look.

Good luck and keep us posted.

S

4. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 2:57:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't been able to see a doctor yet, my insurance got cancelled when I got laid off from my job a month ago. I'm still getting these bites, I've gone a couple nights without getting any, most nights I get one or two, and tonight I woke up with about six. They start out as these huge welts and then die down to look like normal bug bites. They last about a week and itch basically the entire time I have them. Since starting this thread, I have had one night where I didn't wake up itching like mad or covered in new bites. It's driving me crazy. I'm exhausted all the time. I still have yet to find a single bug, egg, stain, casing, or anything like that. I'm still the only one getting these in my household. I wake up itching like mad and immediately grab my phone and turn on the flashlight. Nothing. I've started wearing more clothes to sleep in and my bites are only happening on exposed parts of my body. The ones I woke up with tonight are on my right knee and both shoulders. I'm going to do another thorough search of my bed and surrounding areas tomorrow, if I find
    anything, I'll update with pictures.

It might be worth noting that while 99% of my bites have happened while sleeping in my bed, I did get two bug bites on my right arm while lounging in the recliner in my living room one evening, a couple hours before bed. Never saw what bit me then either. :/

5. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 10:48:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I ripped apart my box spring, here are pictures of what I found. The first three are some sort of skeleton, the last picture is a spot I found on my mattress, it might be nothing. Can I get an I.D. please? Pretty sure it's bed bugs but want to be sure. Thanks in advance.

pictures

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 10:56:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The top two images might be carpet beetle larva, there is no access to the original file sizes so I cant make out the detail.

The third image is a bedbug cast skin.

Please try to use FlickR to upload where you can as it gives us access to the details we need to help you.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 11:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response! I've never used FlickR before but hopefully this link works.

After discovery of the skeletons, I used a hair dryer all around my box spring to try and drive out any bugs but I haven't seen any. I could try vacuuming really well around my bed again, but I'm not sure it would make much difference. For the record, I'm extremely broke and can't afford a PCO of any kind, so any assistance in dealing with this matter on my own would be appreciated. I'm not sure where they came from, 3 things happened in a short period of time and they could have come from any of those. For one, we got new downstairs neighbors (they brought cockroaches with them I'm pretty sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also brought bed bugs... from the looks of their furniture and them in general, they are not clean people nor do they take care of their belongings [I know this doesn't always mean anything]). For two, my dad purchased a used recliner (same recliner I got two bug bites while sitting in one evening) from a garage sale. For three, I went to a friends house for about an hour and I know they have a bed bug problem, but I was sitting on the leather couch only to try and minimize my exposure, and upon returning home I IMMEDIATELY (didn't sit down or anything) bagged every article of clothing, set them outside, took a hot shower, then washed all the clothes in hot water and dried on hot heat. I don't think the visit to my friends house is what brought these buggers on, but it's possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 12:36:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please keep an eye out for a PM that may be of help.

There are a number of things you can do to help self-treat in a light case, the FAQ's are a good place to start reading and as I said more information will be sent to you.

Hang in there, it does not sound like its a massive infestation and as such correct and decisive action can get your speedy results at minimal financial outlay.

The FlickR link does work and yes it appears to be carpet beetle as well as the cast skin.

David

9. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 15:05:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I'll patiently await that PM. I just went out and bought bed bug protectors for the mattress and boxspring, hopefully that will help contain whatever is in the bed itself.

10. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 21:03:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I'm doing better. Sort of. I haven't gotten bit while sleeping since I encased my bed, which is great! Finally sleeping through the night again. The problem is, I'm now getting bites through the day. I'm not sure if they are bed bugs or not though, as I never see myself get bit. These bites don't welt up as much, but they still itch like crazy. Would it make sense for bed bugs to bite me during the day instead of at night? I figure if they were wandering around my room, they'd still prefer to bite me during my sleep. I have found another bug ruining around my apartment but I can't get a clear picture because it never stops moving. Someone told me it was a cockroach, but it doesn't look like any cockroach I've ever seen. I'll try to get a picture, but does anyone think this could still be bed bugs? Thanks in advance.

11. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 1 2013 17:26:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I was sitting out on the patio smoking a cigarette a few minutes ago and found this guy (taped to the top of the page) on my shirt. Bed bug? I can't tell. Sorry for the crappy quality of the picture, I scanned it into our ancient scanner and uploaded via FlickR, so hopefully you can see it clearly enough. Thanks in advance.

For the record, I'm still not getting bitten at night but I am getting bitten during the day. We had a PCO come by and spray for bugs today, our downstairs neighbors brought cockroaches (and who knows what else) when they moved in a couple weeks ago so they'll be here every month for a while to spray. Hopefully that will help clear up whatever else is causing me problems as well. Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123